Season will start soon, and there is just a few crickets chirping.

There are no hard proof signs of this whole NASL thing being set in place.

AC St. Louis is pretending that they still exist and are around.

The NASL website hasn't really been updated. FC Edmonton isn't even in the list of clubs under "about NASL."

FC Edmonton is doing a really weak season ticket campaign, that looks more like jr. high kids dating. You have to contact them to say you are interested, so they can contact you back, so you can decide over the phone (when they do call you) to purchase a season package, that may or may not have any actual set games besides April 9th.

First Kick is four months away, and right now the loudest news is some tumbleweed blowing across my monitor. Does anyone know anything or do the other American teams need to get bought by Traffic before the season starts. The same season that doesn't have a schedule yet.

I hear ya man.

Though, I guess its important to remember that 4 months is still quite awhile. The NHL announces its schedule in late June, and the season starts in early Oct, which is not much more than 3.5 months. I'm guessing we'll start hearing news about a schedule this month.

At least the team is going and selling tickets at soccer events in the city (speaking of which, anyone go to see the Polar Cup?). Its a bit better than just assuming that the people will contact you for tickets. FCE is not quite the Oilers yet!

Don't know much about St. Louis. I don't believe they are listed on the NASL website anymore, and I know that the all-knowing wikipedia still has them as considering if they will join or not. They were not part of the bid for santioning.

If half the games are Sunday afternoon when I work then no, I won't go to all the games. I'll just buy tickets from someone else.

Fair enough...Ya, I have to admit Sunday afternoon games really suck atmosphere wise. Uninterested kids with their uninterested parents in 114 ,33C degree heat and sun in your face..

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure we'll have a schedule pretty similar to last years..

I'm an interested parent with my interested kid who loves the Sunday games because I can't bring him to the evening games.

Of course I totally agree it has less atmosphere but without those I wouldn't be able to bring him (he's 4)

I for one hope they keep at least 4 or 5 of them

Montreal finally puts out a press release about the training camp:

http://impactmontreal.com/News/News.aspx?language=EN&ArticleID=1535&Focus=0

MONTREAL – The Montreal Impact announced on Friday the details of its 2011 training camp, which gets underway on February 1, at the Bell Sports Complex, located at Quartier DIX30 in Brossard.

The 18th training camp in club history will be an historic one, with the Montreal squad set to play exhibition matches versus Major League Soccer teams for the very first time. This coming season will be Montreal’s final campaign in North America’s Division 2, before joining MLS the following season, in 2012.

The players will undergo a series of medical tests and will take part in team meetings over the first two days of camp, with training set to begin on Thursday, February 3. The club’s first team will train nearly every day and will play a few exhibition matches versus local teams.

Following three weeks of training in Brossard, the Impact will continue its preparation outside of the country with a two-week preseason tour in Arizona. Montreal will train at the Grande Sports World Complex, located roughly 50 km south of Phoenix, from February 20 to March 4.

The Impact will take advantage of its time on American soil by playing three exhibition matches versus MLS clubs. Details of those three matches have yet to be confirmed.

Following those games, the Impact will benefit from a week off before resuming daily sessions in Brossard on Monday, March 14, for the final stage of training camp.

Montreal’s first game of the season is on April 9 versus the Tampa Bay Rowdies, in Florida. The North American Soccer League’s (NASL) regular season schedule will soon be released.

INVITATIONAL TRAINING CAMP

The Impact is organizing an invitational training camp from January 24 to 28, at the Bell Sports Complex, in Brossard. About 30 players will be invited by the team’s technical staff. They will all be vying for a spot with the Impact’s first team at the club’s official training camp. The players will consist of Academy players, foreign players, as well as American university players.

2011 PRESEASON CALENDAR (SUBJECT TO CHANGE)

January 24 to 28 : Invitational training camp

February 1 : Start of training camp – medicals

February 3 : Start of on-field training

February 20 : Departure from Phoenix

March 4: Return to Montreal

March 14 : Training resumes

April 9 : First match of the season – Impact @ Tampa Bay

-30-

Source : Patrick Vallée, Impact de Montréal

Info : 514-328-3668 (poste 227)

• 2 weeks later...

I am starting to have my doubts. Serious, serious doubts. The closer we get to the season, the quieter it gets.

We have promises for news on all fronts, but instead of getting news as it happens to keep us interested, I think they plan on one giant new news orgy. They are NASL of whom I speak. F.C. Edmonton isn't doing much better for this.

I doubt they will spend a decent cent on marketing. The very last f*****g thing they should be skimping resources on! The last thing. I actually wonder if Nathan and I are the only season ticket holders.

The reason that this is such a giant joke is the state of the league. We won't get a schedule "soon." We won't get decent websites "soon." What we will get is a promise that we will get all our questions answered "soon."

Bullcrap.

I am starting to have my doubts. Serious, serious doubts. The closer we get to the season, the quieter it gets.

We have promises for news on all fronts, but instead of getting news as it happens to keep us interested, I think they plan on one giant new news orgy. They are NASL of whom I speak. F.C. Edmonton isn't doing much better for this.

I doubt they will spend a decent cent on marketing. The very last f*****g thing they should be skimping resources on! The last thing. I actually wonder if Nathan and I are the only season ticket holders.

The reason that this is such a giant joke is the state of the league. We won't get a schedule "soon." We won't get decent websites "soon." What we will get is a promise that we will get all our questions answered "soon."

Bullcrap.

As I've noted before, they just don't understand the market. Their future prospects depend a lot on the willingness of the owner to lose money, until either a stadium and higher-quality league saves them or he just loses patience.

But I wouldn't worry too much, they won't be pulling the plug this early. They've hired a marketing firm, apparently, although even there I have some serious reservations about the choice. They are trying; they're just listening to the wrong people, for the most part.

I admit, I'm starting to have my doubts as well. USL Pro brought their schedule out yesterday. I'm not sure how much better or worse they are at running a league than NASL, but I would assume that they have more of a fan base and more knowledge based on the fact that there are more stable teams in the USL.

At least there's an answer from AC St Louis. Now if Carolina could get their act together, I think we might have some answers.

So there's been a lot of negativity on this topic... I'm thinking of putting the positive on it, and getting suggestions of how FCE can improve their current marketing plan.

Here's some of my ideas:

- United Cycle has a huge digital screen outside of their shop just north of Whyte Ave on Gateway Blvd. What could get more people's attention than putting FCE's logo up, and some info about tickets and the upcoming season. If you have to, put up the Toronto logo, and get attention that way. I think this is a huge resource that the FO is missing. They must still have some marketing deal with United Cycle, so help increase revenue both ways.

- Go to the streets. Put up a TON of flyers around town on the flyer posts on Whyte Ave and Downtown. Especially during reading week, when there will be a lot of post-secondary students frequenting Whyte. There's huge market there that will get behind any team, and they've got money to spare on Merch, beer, and pretty much anything the FCE logo can go on. Plus I'm pretty sure that the ESG would be willing to walk around town posting flyers and talking up the team to anyone that asks any given weekend.

- Following closely: Merch. Whore that logo out. I had the fortune to go to a D2 game in Germany recently. Not that I think Edmonton can enter this market on the same level, but there's a lesson to be learned there. I picked up a cataloge of their fan merch, and they had plasterd the team name and logo on EVERYTHING. I mean everything. They had everything from a toaster that burned the crest into the toast (BTW, that's pretty freaking sweet.. and saddly I would probably pay money for something like that), to a full collection of items for babies.

Now here's what I see: I know it seems that FCE is doing poorly in reaching out to fans, but I think they're actually doing the best job they can. There is a limited group of fans in Edmonton who will be passionate right from the get-go about a professional team. There have been too many mistakes in the past, as well as too much fanfare about Hockey. Reaching out to those of us that are passionate about soccer will help fuel a fire of excitment and atmosphere. If the team goes and spends a ton of money on a mainstream media campaign, personally I think it would be a waste of money. Easing into the waters and seeing how the inital sales of the season tickets, as well as the interest from people is a good way to start. The ESG already has about 20 members, and there are over 1200 fans of FCE on facebook. Undoubtably there are a few kids in that crowd, who come with parents to attend the games, and friends who get dragged along in the 18-35 year old crowd. Since the new year, there have been daily (if not several times a day) updates on both the facebook and twitter feeds, which have given some insight into the teams. We don't have as much info as I'd like, but at least there is a connection between the team and the fans. Yes some of the important pieces are missing, such as a complete roster and schedule, but the team is attempting to connect to fans. At least they are letting us know about the training, and meeting with the ESG.

Feel free to leave your thoughts and rebuttals and arguments.

The force is strong in you young Jedi (looking for a wise smillie but not finding one)

But yep I know what you mean, and totally agree.

To all who post or read this thread,

Okay the challenge is this...

Until now until the 'Start' of the 'Season'...

Every party you go to every sports shop you enter, every water cooler you wander past. wherever and whenever a 'Sport Conversation begins" dont leave it until you mention FCE.

If its the Hockey lot bemoaning the fact that Hockey night in Canada will be really unintresting this year if the Canucks go out early. If its the boys of the green and gold contemplating a season without a win. If its the 'Rushers' or the 'Cappers' trying to work out why they even bother...

Just mention to them that at least there is some sport to watch in Edmonton in the early Summer (and in genuine real life 3D!.) Remind them that all (nearly) under 30 played some form of the beautifull game as a kid- be it in a rink or on a field. Reminded them how good it feels to kick something into a net rather than just hitting it with a stick. Or how much they wished they could do it if only they were good enough. Remind them of what it felt like when Beckham hit town....

You'd be suprised as to how many still dont know we have a club and how many like the feel of knowing we have another club.

And YES it is a club, not just a team. Its a club because we make it a club. We post and wait, for the boys to run out on the feild and play their little hearts out to be something more than just another office junior at the Water cooler, or the apprentice sent out for a long stand. The dream of been Gods because we dream form them to be so. We dream for Connelly and Min to look gobsmacked on the CBC Edmonton when reading out that "EDMONTON BEAT TFC in front of 25,000 in the Commonwealth".

We dream. the team will dream. But as fans We have to make it Happen.

Forget the Green Nations 13 man. This year, this thread, on this site must become Edmontons TWELFTH MAN!

(Okay you can now cheer in a st Chrispins day/ Henry V kind of way)

Just dont mention most of the lads come from Calgary!:o

I like you post alberta white except for the fact that the Rush are great with a massive fan base and perfect marketing for a small(er) league, and I don't say that just because I help with said advertising either.

No worries Mate. glad you got my drift anway. \To be honest I know jack out

Lacross other than what hear on the radio, but to be honest i actually think its a good sport. (it just fitted into the meter of the ramble.)

I'm a little angered after reading about NASL's sanctioning (or lack thereof), so I apologize in advance if I sound bitter and angry.

Alberta White, while I agree with your post, I find extremely disheartening when it falls in the hands of us to promote the club. The club is doing next to nothing to promote this team. We have an embarrassment of a website, I get my league news from a Minnesota blog, there is next to no advertising in the city. We have the Mini World Cup coming up in March, arguably the most popular and successful soccer tournament in Edmonton, and I really, really hope FC Edmonton has some kind of presence there to promote the team and start selling tickets.

Jloome has posted countless examples of poor decision making the by the club. It really tempers my enthusiasm when the club doesn't show the same passion, and there are people getting paid to do it.

I am all for doing out part to help make this thing success, but it really seems like we are fighting a losing battle.

I'm a little angered after reading about NASL's sanctioning (or lack thereof), so I apologize in advance if I sound bitter and angry.

Alberta White, while I agree with your post, I find extremely disheartening when it falls in the hands of us to promote the club. The club is doing next to nothing to promote this team. We have an embarrassment of a website, I get my league news from a Minnesota blog, there is next to no advertising in the city. We have the Mini World Cup coming up in March, arguably the most popular and successful soccer tournament in Edmonton, and I really, really hope FC Edmonton has some kind of presence there to promote the team and start selling tickets.

Jloome has posted countless examples of poor decision making the by the club. It really tempers my enthusiasm when the club doesn't show the same passion, and there are people getting paid to do it.

I am all for doing out part to help make this thing success, but it really seems like we are fighting a losing battle.

+1

I feel exactly the same way!

I understand what you mean Shawn. However, I'm still not sure what the club doing things "more professionally" means. I think that getting out there to the Polar Cup shows some understanding by the front office to get out to existing events and using them to sell tickets. I know I'm sometimes overly optomoistic, but I think that there is some good coming out of the team.

My original post was to attempt to get people to stop saying "what the team is doing sucks" and start thinking about what they could do to make things better. I heard that the team wants to meet with the ESG, what better time to bring up some of our suggestions and concerns to the people that are getting paid to fix them?

As for the NASL being in doubt, I'm still not sure that these teams would want to throw as much money as they have down the toilet just to have it wiped out this close to the season. I'm sure they'll say/do whatever they can to get the league to move forward. After 2011, I have some SERIOUS SERIOUS doubts. I also think that we should see SOME ads out for FCE, but to have a huge blitz right now would only waste money. Wait at least until the snow melts (and will stay melted, I doubt that it will be gone for good right now), and people are spending some time outdoors before getting some professional ads, and building the atmosphere. Right now, people are in a winter mindset and only look at summer as a dream.

Archived