G&M: Hume hates Cech!

sstackho

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/hume-unfazed-by-life-threatening-accident/article1692180/

While Hume is quick to credit the support of his wife and two young daughters throughout his ordeal, he also received an unwelcome advance. Petr Cech, goalkeeper for reigning English Premier League champion Chelsea, went through a similarly harrowing episode in October of 2006 and now wears a protective skull cap when he plays.

“He texted me about eight months after the fact, got my number off one of my teammates, which I wasn’t too happy about,” said Hume, who admits he would rather quit than wear protective head gear, “but it was the only contact he tried to make and, to be perfectly honest, it meant absolutely nothing to me so I [hit] delete.”

But while he has a similar attitude toward Morgan – “I’ve never been mates with him, I’m never going to be a mate with him” – Hume is looking to the future.

Ummmm, OK... Those words must have directed towards Morgan, considering:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1220478/Iain-Hume-Scar-pictures-phone-reminder-family-kept-alive.html

It was a far more serious fracture than that suffered by Petr Cech three years ago, although Hume was touched by the Chelsea goalkeeper's offer of advice if he found himself struggling to overcome the psychological effects of his injury.

'Even though I'm a league below and a world away from him in football terms, for someone of his stature to offer their hand was massive for me,' said Hume.

'I didn't take him up on it. I just needed to do it my way and make my own steps, just as he had to.'

It certainly seems like something got lost in translation there... either a copy editor made some ridiculously bad edits... or Paul Attfield made a ridiculously bad mistake while writing the piece... (or, theoretically, Hume randomly said something completely out-of-character and confusing).

Edit: Fixed typo. (A ridiculously bad one, at that.)

It certainly seems like something got lost in translation there... either a copy editor made some ridiculously bad edits... or Paul Attfield made a ridiculously bad mistake white writing the piece... (or, theoretically, Hume randomly said something completely out-of-character and confusing).

Agreed. Seems really awkward and odd. "Unwelcome advance" sounds like something Graham James would have done.

'Even though I'm a league below and a world away from him in football terms, for someone of his stature to offer their hand was massive for me,' said Hume. So why call the title "Hume hates Cech!"?

Agreed. Seems really awkward and odd. "Unwelcome advance" sounds like something Graham James would have done.

'Even though I'm a league below and a world away from him in football terms, for someone of his stature to offer their hand was massive for me,' said Hume. So why call the title "Hume hates Cech!"?

LOL that's not the actual title of the article. That was sstackho's creative license.

It certainly seems like something got lost in translation there... either a copy editor made some ridiculously bad edits... or Paul Attfield made a ridiculously bad mistake white writing the piece... (or, theoretically, Hume randomly said something completely out-of-character and confusing).

Well he did have a serious head injury...

but no your right no way Hume says those things about Cech, it was about Morgan for sure.

They have updated the article on the website.

It now reads:

While Hume is quick to credit the support of his wife and two young daughters throughout his ordeal, he also received an unwelcome advance.

“He texted me about eight months after the fact, got my number off one of my teammates, which I wasn’t too happy about,” said Hume of Morgan, admitting he would rather quit than wear the kind protective head gear current Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech sports after a similar accident, “but it was the only contact he tried to make and, to be perfectly honest, it meant absolutely nothing to me so I [hit] delete.”

Archived