What was Canada's last big win?

Robert

Definitely didn't happen in the last World Cup Qualifiers

I would say Canada 1-0 over T&T in the Concacaf Gold Cup 2000 Semi-finals (since this game gave them the title due to the origin of their opponents)

or

Canada 2-0 over Columbia in the Concacaf Gold Cup 2000 final as this had them earn the cup outright.

Obviously its been a while. Right now we are on a 7-game winless streak. It's been over a year since our senior men won a friendly. Is this acceptable? What needs to be done to change this trend?

29/05/2010 Mérida VEN - MNT D 1 : 1 VEN

24/05/2010 Buenos Aires ARG - MNT L 0 : 5 ARG

31/01/2010 Kingston JAM - MNT L 0 : 1 JAM

18/11/2009 Bydgoszcz POL - MNT L 0 : 1 POL

14/11/2009 Strumica MKD - MNT L 0 : 3 MKD

18/07/2009 Philadelphia, PA USA - MNT L 0 : 1 HON

10/07/2009 Miami, FL USA - MNT D 2 : 2 CRC

07/07/2009 Columbus, OH USA - MNT W 1 : 0 SLV

Obviously its been a while. Right now we are on a 7-game winless streak. It's been over a year since our senior men won a friendly. Is this acceptable? What needs to be done to change this trend?

29/05/2010 Mérida VEN - MNT D 1 : 1 VEN

24/05/2010 Buenos Aires ARG - MNT L 0 : 5 ARG

31/01/2010 Kingston JAM - MNT L 0 : 1 JAM

18/11/2009 Bydgoszcz POL - MNT L 0 : 1 POL

14/11/2009 Strumica MKD - MNT L 0 : 3 MKD

18/07/2009 Philadelphia, PA USA - MNT L 0 : 1 HON

10/07/2009 Miami, FL USA - MNT D 2 : 2 CRC

07/07/2009 Columbus, OH USA - MNT W 1 : 0 SLV

I personally think we're doing it right now, More home games is a big must, notice none of the games listed above are in Canada? I think the next fixture against Peru will be only the second time Canada has played at BMO and the first friendly? Am I right on that?

Anyway, Hart is fully at the helm now and must have a long term plan, if you look at the recent development of players [Canadian] in the MLS specifically, we should turn into a top 3 or 4 CONCACAF team within the next 3 years… after that? Well we have to see how the youth on the squad continue to develop but I'm not to worried right now.

Yes, Peru will be the third match for the senior team at BMO, billed by the CSA as Canada's national soccer stadium. The point is that we are on a one year winless streak, it's been 13 years since we had a memorable victory, and 25 years since we qualified for our one and only World Cup Final.

The point is that we are on a one year winless streak, it's been 13 years since we had a memorable victory, and 25 years since we qualified for our one and only World Cup Final.
So what's your point, aside from an inability to subtract 2007 from 2010.

If you're going to start your usual trolling again why don't you just get straight to your usual schtick about the CSA being the devil incarnate (causing the Holocaust, assassinating JFK etc). Then the rest of us can dig out our usual pat answers and nobody gets hurt.

Thanks Joe. I stand corrected. My point, which you seem to question, is that it sure has been a long time since we had something to cheer about and very few opportunities to do so unless Canadian fans are willing to travel abroad. Hopefully, with the two rare upcoming home games, things will improve. Does our recent track record indicate that this might be the case? I wouldn't bet a whole lot of your money on it. As to your insinuation that I might hold the CSA accountable for this current state, well why don't we just let the proverbial chips fall were they may. It seems from some of the posts on this forum that ticket sales for the Toronto and Montreal matches are far from sell-outs. I would hazzard to predict that the average attendances at TFC and Impact home games will be higher than what the national team will draw from those same markets. Is the CSA charging a fair price for their tickets? Lets wait for the post game responses from those who will attend these matches and see if they feel they got the value of their ticket dollars.

I would say beating Korea Republic at the 2002 Gold Cup. That Korean team went on to lose to Germany in the semis of the World Cup that summer.

Speaking of friendlies at home... Does anybody remember the SkyDome Cup or the Caribana Cup? That's something the CSA hasn't done since the early 1990s. Maybe because no one wants to travel here to play us but why not host something like this in June or July? Play mid-week games over a week or so?

Archived