Big Names In CSL This Season?

Djuradj

Hi all. It's great to be back at the forum!

I couldn't help but notice some big names in the CSL this year!

I will list a few of the most notable:

Miodrag Andjelković, played for Espanyol, Almeria, OFK Belgrade, Fluminense, Incheon United...this year he is with Brantford Galaxy.

Rhian Dodds, played for Kilmarnock, Dundee and the Canadian nat'l team. He is with Hamilton Croatia.

Then you've got ex-TFC, Canada U-20, Atalanta and Perugia striker Andrea Lombardo with Portugal FC.

Also you have CURRENT TFC KEEPER Miloš Kočić loaned to Serbian White Eagles which I think is huge. Saša Viciknez is still there too and Miloš Šćepanović and Goran Vlaški have been getting a few U-20 caps.

Now this may not excite you but it does excite me as I used to frequent CSL matches and now want to again. It looks like the marketing will finally be up to par this season!

Thoughts? Can these players make a difference?

The return of true professionals has notable increased the leave of play. There is great potential for the CSL, and the league is finally looking towards that.

Some other players with professional resumes on a few teams I keep my eye on are...yes all new teams

Brantford Galaxy

#11 Ranko Golijanin, Striker

HC Hercules, Spainish 1st div. FC Milwaukee, USL USA, NK OFK Beograd Bosnian 1st div.

#16 Zoran Roglic, Midfielder.

HNK Hajduk Split Croatian 1st div., NK Solin Croatian 1st div., NK Sibenik Croatian 1st div., FC Muscoron Belgium 1st division

#20 Drazen Govic, Midfielder.

HNK Hajduk Split Croatian 1st div., NK Zadar Croatian 1st div., NK Sibenik Croatian 1st div.

50 Drazen Vukovic, Midfielder

HNK Hajduk Split Croatian 1st div., NK Zadar Croatian 1st div., NK Sibenik Croatian 1st div.

#10 Andrija Raic Midfielder

NK Posusje Bosnian 1st div.

#3 Stanko Karacic Defender

NK Siroki Brijeg Bosnian 1st div., Nk Botnjo Citluk Bosnian 1st div.

#85 Patric Gerhart Defender

Young Boys Swiss 1st div. Concordia Basal, Swiss 1st div.

Ante Domjanovic Goalkeeper

NK Junak Ginj, NK Solin Split, NK Vskok Croatian 1st. Div

Milltown FC

Thierry Mangwa

FC Metz (France) youth academy, Calcio Padova (of Italy), FC Bleid (of Belgium).

Martijn Kuijpers

RKSV Schijndel (third tier Dutch), NEC Nijmegen (Dutch Eredivisie)

Hamilton Croaita

Alvin Hudson

Atlanta Silverbacks (USL I)

Nikolas Jelicic

NK Omladinac (CRO), NK Solin (CRO), NK Uskok (CRO

Sandro Rajkovic

NSK Moslavina (CRO)

Ivan RAZUMOVIC

NK Belisce (CRO), NK Valpovka (CRO), NK Konigsbrunn (GER), PFC Vidima (BUL)

Jamie Dodds

Toronto Lynx (USL 1)

Rhian Dodds

Kilmarnock (SCO), Dundee (SCO), Canada U20

John Reilly

Monaghan United (IRE), Kildare County (IRE), Longford Town (IRE), UCD AFC (IRE)

Antonijo ZUPAN

NK Zadar (CRO)

Said Ali

Pittsburgh (USL), Vancouver Whitecaps (USL), Toronto Lynx (USL)

Aidan O'keefe

Bohemians FC (IRE), Drogheda Utd (IRE), Bray Wanderers (IRE)

I thought you meant big names! since when are Lombardo, Scepanovic and Vlaski big names? they're not better than any other Canadian kids playing in the CSL. It makes sense mentioning the other two but those three only if you're a friend.

Eric said:
I thought you meant big names! since when are Lombardo, Scepanovic and Vlaski big names? they're not better than any other Canadian kids playing in the CSL. It makes sense mentioning the other two but those three only if you're a friend.

I just thought it was noteworthy that Scepanovic and Vlaski got U-20 callups. As for Lombardo, I hope he can use the CSL to make a comeback and hopefully fulfill his potential (I believe it hasn't already been fulfilled). Look at hamiltonfan's comment though. That just shows that a lot of CSL players this year have come from high, international levels.

Maleagi Ngarizemo of the north york astros has 7 caps for namibia, which isn't amazing or anything but it's pretty good for the csl. I wonder how easy is it for csl teams to get all the paperwork to sign internationals? I don't imagine it's terribly hard and I wouldn't be surprised if a few players were willing to come here for like a smallish fulltime contract (if it was 3 years they'd be set to pick up citizenship) but unfortunately i doubt most csl teams are in the position to add 30-35 grand a year to their expenses (maybe a couple though)

Maleagi Ngarizemo of the north york astros has 7 caps for namibia, which isn't amazing or anything but it's pretty good for the csl. I wonder how easy is it for csl teams to get all the paperwork to sign internationals? I don't imagine it's terribly hard and I wouldn't be surprised if a few players were willing to come here for like a smallish fulltime contract (if it was 3 years they'd be set to pick up citizenship) but unfortunately i doubt most csl teams are in the position to add 30-35 grand a year to their expenses (maybe a couple though)

Apparently Ivan Bošnjak of Milltown played for Croatia at the 2006 FIFA World Cup!?

Apparently Ivan Bosnjak of Milltown played for Croatia at the 2006 FIFA World Cup!?

I worry it has to be a coincidence just because that is actually a pretty damn good signing, wikipedia says it's true *fingers crossed*

^ I can confirm that Milltown's version of Ivan Bosnjak (who happens to be a Milton native) most definitely did not play for Croatia in the World Cup.

I agree with the sentiment in this thread.....the level of play this year is much higher than last year. Last night we played London City (and drew 2-2, despite the fact that we were down to 10 men for the last 30 mins). London is MUCH improved. Astros are clearly playing much better this year. Despite losing a couple of top players from the 2009 squad, Impact are doing well. Shooters are a very good team. Brantford is obviously very solid thanks to their 9 man core of European professionals. Hamilton is going to be very tough . Even Brampton, who is struggling, has good talent and should be doing better.

This year is going to be a very exciting season. The race to the playoffs is going to go down to the wire. We're working hard to make sure we are there in the mix.

Edit: when naming players with U20 CMNT caps, don't forget Milltown's Agustin DeMedina. Also, we've got Thierry Mangwa-Batomen, who has played professionally in Italy, Belgium and England and is one of the best defenders in the league.

I'm confident that by season's end, there will be some players on our squad who will earn some accolades. We are a very young team (last night's average age for our starting 11 was barely over 21 yrs of age). We had 3 starters who are 18 years old and all contributed big time and played great (Erick and Eros Olazabal, as well as new signing Chris Suta).

I don't know most of these names or teams, but I wouldn't define a big name in the CSL as someone who played League of Ireland First Division, and half of the clubs listed in America/Ireland don't even exist anymore (Kildare, Atlanta Silverbacks, etc.)

Doesn't help either if these kids have only played a few games for their club.

^ It's all relative. I think it's fair to call anyone in the CSL who's had some time with a European team a big name. I'm really impressed with what I've seen of Scepanovic this year. I'd like to see him get a trial with one of Canada's big three.

^ It's all relative. I think it's fair to call anyone in the CSL who's had some time with a European team a big name. I'm really impressed with what I've seen of Scepanovic this year. I'd like to see him get a trial with one of Canada's big three.

Agreed. Thought it worth mentioning that Dan Pelc (you may remember him from the 2008 CSL final) is now playing for the Vancouver Whitecaps.

Valentin Radevich of the Montreal Impact Academy played for FC BATE Borisov from 2007-2010 which may seem random but they played in the UEFA Champions League in 08-09. He also has played for the Belarus U-21 team five times from 2009-2010.

So what you're trying to tell me is some guy that played 3 games on a League of Ireland yo-yo club (won't tell you which one) goes to play CSL and is automatically considered a big name?

C'mon b'y...

So what you're trying to tell me is some guy that played 3 games on a League of Ireland yo-yo club (won't tell you which one) goes to play CSL and is automatically considered a big name?

C'mon b'y...

Don't be such a negative nancy! That's only one player! So we both agree the remaining players are big names?

No, my point is I know a guy who played League of Ireland a few years ago, only played 3 games, all off the bench. While he is a good player, and would be one of the best players in an Atlantic league, to say he is automatically a big name in a league that is slightly better is not smart (for lack of a better term).

I don't know the rest of these guys or the skill level of these leagues except LOI.

No, my point is I know a guy who played League of Ireland a few years ago, only played 3 games, all off the bench. While he is a good player, and would be one of the best players in an Atlantic league, to say he is automatically a big name in a league that is slightly better is not smart (for lack of a better term).

I don't know the rest of these guys or the skill level of these leagues except LOI.

Fair enough. However I was very impressed watching this mixtape of Miodrag Andjelković.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzNoeGQgJn8

I would consider Miodrag Andjelković a big player in the CSL, that video is proof enough for me but to say that some of the Canadian players that play in the CSL are big names? I think that's insulting to these European players that were exposed to the real professional game for many years, let's be serious.

I would consider Miodrag Andjelković a big player in the CSL, that video is proof enough for me but to say that some of the Canadian players that play in the CSL are big names? I think that's insulting to these European players that were exposed to the real professional game for many years, let's be serious.

True ok, fair enough. But who said being a "big name" is positive haha.

Archived