Big Names In CSL This Season?

Djuradj

^ Scepanovic is playing well for sure.

We just played Portugal FC and they had two nice young players that impressed me (Massimo Mirabelli and Bryce Alderson).

I am excited to see so many 1989 and younger Canadian players getting regular playing time in the CSL this season and doing well. Yesterday, our starting lineup consisted of four 1991s (Erick and Eros Olazabal, Chris Suta and Gersi Xhuti) and a 1990 (Agustin DeMedina) and they all played well. The Astros has a bunch of youngish talent too.

I would consider Miodrag Andjelković a big player in the CSL, that video is proof enough for me but to say that some of the Canadian players that play in the CSL are big names? I think that's insulting to these European players that were exposed to the real professional game for many years, let's be serious.

Perhaps worth noting that Andjelković's team just lost 3-2 to TFC's U-18 team, which is comprised of Canadian players.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/06/senior-academy-wins-road

Think people need to move beyond having this cultural cringe in which Canadian soccer is always viewed as being automatically second best to the game over in European.

^ I don't think the fact his team lost to an U18 team diminshes the fact that this player played at a high level previously in his career. It's like saying Theo Fleury wasn't a big name because his Belfast Giants team lost a game in the British Ice Hockey League...

Bryce Alderson is a '94 isn't he? Between he and Doneil Henry our 2013 U20 team should be set at CB. I wonder if he was overlooked by TFC or if he chose to play for Portugal FC instead? I'm going to guess the latter and i think i know why...

^ I don't think the fact his team lost to an U18 team diminshes the fact that this player played at a high level previously in his career. It's like saying Theo Fleury wasn't a big name because his Belfast Giants team lost a game in the British Ice Hockey League...

You have completely misunderstood my point. I did not question the fact that Andjelković has played at a very high level. What I questioned was the idea that Canadian players who have only ever played in Canada should always be viewed as being second best to players who have played for some very obscure European team like some of those listed in the original post because Canada is the equivalent of Siberia when it comes to soccer. With the arrival of TFC Academy things should slowly start to get back to the way they were from the 70s and to the early 90s when there were NSL and CSL teams in southern Ontario with reasonably professional setups that were able to develop players from the age of 16 to 21 to the point that they could go on to play for the national team and do very well against CONCACAF opposition.

I agree that the tone Eric used in the post you quoted seemed to insinuate disdain for Canadian soccer, but he did have a point in that the players listed such as Lombardo and some of the U20 kids don't really constitute "big names". Some of these foreign players have played at a much higher level than pretty much all of the Canadians in this league.

Bryce Alderson is a '94 isn't he? Between he and Doneil Henry our 2013 U20 team should be set at CB. I wonder if he was overlooked by TFC or if he chose to play for Portugal FC instead? I'm going to guess the latter and i think i know why...

Why do you think he chose Portugal FC? I thought Bryce was a CM?

I know a bunch of those players from Hamilton Croatia. I know some of them only played for youth teams, even though they say they played on the first team. But should that be considered a big name?

So ,tell us ,who played only for youth team and they are telling us they played for the first team???

Archived