Regina in NASL?

Jason

I don't think anyone else has mentioned this yet:

http://www.24thminute.com/2010/06/fc-regina-really.html

"There were two Canadian expansion presentations to the NASL this weekend at meetings in Montreal.

One, Neil Malhotra and his Ottawa group, has been known for some time. The other, a group from Regina (yes, Saskatchewan) was a bit surprising."

Anyone have more info on this? Matthew?

Jason

Imagine that Calgary and Winnipeg/Victoria also joined. A 4 team western Canadian division. In order for Edmonton to survive there must be more teams geographically closer to them. I'm convinced with the league makeup right now that travel costs will kill them in their inaugural season.

I would love for some Canadian teams to start smaller, and build up, like the way the Victoria Highlanders are doing. A first class organization finding their legs in the PDL and then hopefully building up to something bigger. Starting at a lower level and evolving, should lessen the chance of a 1 and done. I know that Calgary Mustangs/Storm are an exception to this, but I think the Highlanders are a blueprint that a few Canadian cities could follow. This talk of Regina playing a domed football stadium, and Edmonton having to regularly travel the east/ south east coast of the U.S worries me.

If we could just get a few committed owners to start at a PDL or slightly above level in Western Canada, find their market and slowly build for 2 or 3 years, success would be possible over time.

Starting at a lower level and evolving, should lessen the chance of a 1 and done. I know that Calgary Mustangs/Storm are an exception to this, but I think the Highlanders are a blueprint that a few Canadian cities could follow.

Calgary jumped up way too early. Had we stayed in PDL for a while and gotten our fawn legs a little steadier and stronger, we may have stood a chance (It's at this point when my fellow Storm Chasers/Horse Power start giggling - we never had an ownership group that had a hope in hades).

My guess would be that there is interest in a PDL team in Regina and somebody got their wires crossed a bit as this rumour was circulating. Most people grasp that soccer is still primarily a post-WWII immigrant thing in spectator terms and that TFC's success doesn't mean that all of Canadian society has suddenly become fanatical about soccer. Beyond that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if pro soccer teams have struggled to get off the grounds in cities like Calgary and Edmonton in recent years at this sort of level, Regina is probably not an optimal location for a new franchise.

The franchises in Calgary and Edmonton struggled for the same reason USL struggled in Toronto long before the MLS got there: it's how it's run, not where it's located.

Soccer can work anywhere in this country that has a large second-generation ex-pat base, i.e. any city over about 300,000 people. There may not be enough support in Regina, but I believe you can make it work in both Calgary and Edmonton, if the initial capital is there, the long-term plan for improvement is there and the club follows the lessons from Toronto and Seattle with respect to reaching out to fans with teams overseas.

Toronto had something going for it at USL-D1 level that Edmonton and Calgary didn't in the shape of a stronger local soccer scene at the elite amateur and semi-pro level that made it significantly easier to field a reasonably competitive side while operating on a shoestring budget after fan support failed to materialize to the levels that had been budgeted for in the first season. That in addition to the willingness of the Hartrells to subsidize the operation was the key reason why the Lynx were able to stagger on year after year.

I don't think anyone else has mentioned this yet:

http://www.24thminute.com/2010/06/fc-regina-really.html

"There were two Canadian expansion presentations to the NASL this weekend at meetings in Montreal.

One, Neil Malhotra and his Ottawa group, has been known for some time. The other, a group from Regina (yes, Saskatchewan) was a bit surprising."

Anyone have more info on this? Matthew?

Jason

Disaster...it would be a disaster.

Disaster...it would be a disaster.

Yeah I don't see a huge fanbase for soccer in this province. I think in maybe 15 or so years the youth playing soccer might grow into a soccer fanbase. Right now soccer is very definitely seen as a foreign game and there is a tiny percentage of the population in Saskatoon or Regina that would attend games.

Is there any second-generation base there TFCR?

Maybe like 10 guys.

Lots of people played as youth but it's Gridiron country. The attitude towards soccer is one of pure hatred among the masses. If it's questionable to succeed in Edmonton, the last thing we want is a team in Regina.

You'd have a better shot at Saskatoon, where the Riders, although popular, are less prominant in the city. This is largely because the Riders are a Regina based team and the members of the team are usually found around the city, unlike in Saskatoon. There's always raw feelings in Saskatoon about how the team plays in a 'marginal' (quotations because Saskatoon is arguably just as bad although it's up for debate) city like Regina, undeserving of the team...etc.

Soccer doesn't have much chance of success in Saskatchewan unless it's at the semi-pro level, I'm afraid. But if you're gonna do it, do it in Toon Town.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived