Dunfield to Rotherham??

nolando

Lots of frank discussion about Terry here:

http://blueandamber.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=66773&page=1

"I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where everyone was calling Dunfield the next Maradona.

In fact, I must have missed the part where people were over-rating him as well. All I have ever seen is an acknowledgement that Dunfield is a decent quality league 2 player, nothing more, nothing less.

I think you are confusng Dunfield's popularity with people over rating the guy. Dunfield is a popular player because he does week-in week-out what all fans, you included have been craving. He puts himself about, puts in the hard yards and works damn hard for the team every game we play. Does this make him a good player? No but it makes him a popular player, and an important one for the side. Every team needs a Dunfield."

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of bizarre forum talk around Dunfield leaving his club over his international aspirations: http://blueandamber.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=67012&page=1

http://blueandamber.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=67020

"I think this may backfire on Terry, I dont think he is capable of playing any higher than League 1 standard, maybe he could play for a lowly SPL team at best? I wish him all the luck in the world, he will need it finding a new club!

To be fair I am surprised a country the size of Canada has to rely on English League 2 players, even if it is far from being a soccer hotbed."

"Just wonder if Dunfield has taken Hart's advice far too literally. Yes, of course Canada want their players to be playing at a higher level but this cannot happen overnight.

Dunfield has just found first team football again after a very difficult previous 12 months. If Terry continued to impress this season then he may well could have attracted the attention of a league 1/SPL club. As it stands I cannot see 'bigger' clubs playing at a 'higher level' busting a gut to sign him even if he was available on a Bosman (which he's not!).

When you consider Jackson at the Gills then that is a different case altogether. He's been linked with several championship/league 1 clubs all willing to pay the purported asking price of £500k+. Jackson will have the opportunity to move and will take it this summer.

As for our Terry.... With GT furious at his attitude he could well be transfer listed and frozen out. You cannot attract much attention when you are sitting in the stands and perhaps a sideways move to a fellow league 2 side may be his next step leaving him to regret his actions this week.

It's a sorry sorry episode where no one will ulimately benefit. We've lost a decent midfielder, Dunfield will have to accept the first offer that comes his way to escape the situation he's created and Canada will most likely never see Dunfield turn out for them again."

Okay...here it is confirmed:

SHREWS DUO HEADING FOR EXIT DOOR

Shrewsbury's plans for the new season have taken another blow with the news Kelvin Langmead and Terry Dunfield are set to leave the club.

Star defender Langmead, who scooped last season's players' player of the year award, appears set to follow in top scorer Dave Hibbert's footsteps and secure a move to Peterborough with a fee already agreed between the two clubs.

Midfielder Dunfield has also been convinced his future lies at a higher level by Canada head coach Stephen Hart after he made his international debut against Venezuela late last month.

Shrews manager Graham Turner told the club's official website: "The game is hard enough when players want to play for you, when they don't, get them out as quickly as possible.

"I want players who are committed to the cause here and are prepared to devote their time and energies to bringing some long-awaited success to the club.

"Both players had to go. Replacements will be signed who want to be a part of life at the Greenhous Meadow."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/cc_league2/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer_league_1_and_2/10/06/18/SHREWSBURY_STORY_SHREWSBURY_-_0064C.html

Is Dunfield actually good enough to play at a higher level? I'm not sure he could crack an MLS lineup the way he played against Venezuala.

Well he doesn't have a chance to be called to the MNT playing at league 2 he needs to at least give it a go at a higher level if he has the opportunity

• 2 weeks later...

Another sliver of the strange story:

Turner revealed Dunfield would be unable to sign for another English club after Town agreed to release the Vancouver-born player from his contract which had 12 months to run.

“He stressed he wanted to play somewhere else in Europe so one of the conditions is he will not be allowed to sign for a club in England,” said Turner.

“He’ll be released from his contract and the paperwork is in the process of going through. We have to have release forms sent across to him as he’s in Canada and he has to sign them, send them back, and we send them off to the FA.”

http://www.shrewsburychronicle.com/2010/06/24/turner-closing-in-on-more-recruits/

Looks like he's going "all in" as England seemed to be his bread and butter. A part of me admires him for going for it, but another wonders about all the ripples caused by one C-team friendly cap and Terry's response to what sounded like innocuous words of encouragement from Hart.

^ A C-team friendly in which Dunfield was the worst player on the pitch. I don't care what this guy does if he is starting come 2012, Canada will not come close to qualifying for the World Cup. This guy needs to stop worrying about an international career and keep grinding it out where he is if he wants to continue with a football career.

After all his work to come back from injury, playing non-league and then making it with Macclesfield and then sold to Shrewsbury, this is a big big risk. Maybe he thinks he'll sign with Vancouver or Toronto?

Although I can understand the motivation. I'm surprised by some of the Shrewsbury fan comments, sour grapes I guess, but maybe they don't realize that in his late 20s, playing tier four pro soccer in the UK with a middling team, decent but not awesome money, away from family in Canada, that Terry may have a realization that he wants to strive for something different.

• 1 month later...

Archived