Hiddink... Forever a Mercenary

RJB

I think he is a good coach and overall did a good job with Russia. Yet if the goal was to qualify them for the World Cup he completely failed and in my opinion was mostly to blame for their WCQ elimination. Yes they dominated their group but had the misfortune to be grouped with the even more dominant Germany (the only team they lost against in the group). Nevertheless, it is pretty clear the Russia has a top notch attack and terrible defence (kind of like their Olympic hockey team) and any average coach let alone a top one should recognize that. In a two game series with a far less talented team, there is no way a poor defensive team like Russia should have been trying to defend a 2-1 aggregate from a home match with the away goal rule in effect. All it needed was for the home team to get a lucky break and you are out and that is what happened. Especially since mid-level European teams from small countries like Slovenia are usually very good at defending since that is the only way they can get results. It is pretty hard to score against such teams when you need a goal and don't have much time. Had Russia gone into the game with attacking tactics they would probably have won by several goals and be a favourite to advance from the WC group stage. He made tactical errors that a decent 4th division coach shouldn't make in that game. Nevertheless, he is still overall a good coach and had a very good record with Russia. I also think that after years of underachieving and individual play he formed them into a team and left them with some confidence in their abilities to be a top European team.

I'll agree that Hiddink isn't perfect, but he has taken three countries to higher levels than they usually achieve: World Cup semis, World Cup round of 16 and Euro Cup semis. A lot of countries would/will take a chance at achieving these results by hiring Hiddink even if it may end in failure. I know I would want Canada to take that chance.

I'll agree that Hiddink isn't perfect, but he has taken three countries to higher levels than they usually achieve: World Cup semis, World Cup round of 16 and Euro Cup semis. A lot of countries would/will take a chance at achieving these results by hiring Hiddink even if it may end in failure. I know I would want Canada to take that chance.

If we ever qualified for the WC; Hiddink would probably be intrigued by the chance; he's likes challenges, but he likes to do them at the highest level.

You are clearly missing he boat by trying to slag Hiddink, one of the most honest, ethical, eloquent and even-keeled coaches in world football, and I have been watching him since he was at Valencia.

Any great club in the world would be honoured to have him, if he did not work for Russia that is a shame, I agree, as I too would prefer to see Russia in the world cup with all that attacking talent and lively youth.

It did not happen, and surely Guus failed to do his job, but trying to do a character assassination of a person like this, calling him a mecenary, is sheer ignorance. He is not a mercenary nor has ever been, he is passionate and loves a challenge and usually gives his employers some fine results. I have watched him for years and it is hard to find a coach in world soccer with a more impeccable demeanour and football intelligence.

Hiddink is godly.

The man may take high salaries...he may be a mercenary, but to me, he seems like the type of guy who believes in building the game around the world. He certainly has done great things with teams in Australia and Korea.

He's what we need in CONCACAF...in Canada.

When Guus saw there were radical fans with Nazi symbols on their flags at Mestalla in Valencia, he came out openly saying he would not coach a team with fans waving that sort of symbols, and went further: he explained what Nazism meant for Holland and for his family. Which made great sense considering Spain has never grasped it, being in its own fascist postwar and in ruins for decades. Hiddink's position, and the way he explained it, so clearly and with such ethical intelligence, was the main reason for Spanish laws giving refs and other stadium officials the right to call or delay a match to avoid it being played in that sort of atmosphere.

We would be honoured to have someone like him coaching Canada, he not only knows how to coach but he is a fine communicator. Maybe the real problem this time round is that his players decided to let him down.

Hiddink is godly.

The man may take high salaries...he may be a mercenary, but to me, he seems like the type of guy who believes in building the game around the world. He certainly has done great things with teams in Australia and Korea.

He's what we need in CONCACAF...in Canada.

Exactly, this guy just wants to breed the game in the areas that don't necessarily have football as their number one sport. I think he has been great for the game and brings interest to every competition he's in as who doesn't like watching what he can do with the underdog. He's a coach who loves a challenge.

Archived