Gold Cup Venues

Joe Keeper

I am just watching the beggining of the Panama - Guadaloupe match. It is being played in a baseball stadium in Oakland, CA to a very sparse crowd. The baseball lines are very visible.

Personally, Im questioning Concacaf's wisdom of holding this years edition in 13 venues across the USA, and at some of the stadiums they are using. I dont think the World Cup uses more than 12 venues for matches.

I realize Concacaf is trying to get maximum exposure but would'nt it be better to concentrate the tournament in a smaller amount of venues where soccer support is strong?

Why not make more use out of MLS facilities? The atmosphere would be alot more intimate for matches.

List of the venues:

http://www.goldcup.org/page/GoldCup/Venues/0,,12802,00.html

Agreed. When there are a good half dozen soccer specific venues at their disposal, why not hold the competition there where people won't tune in to see a baseball outline beneath the grass. This kind of crap makes this competition look bush league. People in North America want to see prestine conditions, first class all the way. This doesn't cut it.

quote:Originally posted by Joe Keeper

I am just watching the beggining of the Panama - Guadaloupe match. It is being played in a baseball stadium in Oakland, CA to a very sparse crowd.

I won't argue with you about the baseball lines, but I suspect that once Mexico comes in that sparse crowd will suddenly become a packed house.

Before passing judgement on the attendance in Oakland, I would wait for Mexico match to start.

But playing in a baseball stadium is a questionable decision along with using 13 venues.

And with Mexico playing like crap, it will be interesting to see how many people show up in the mega venues such as in Houston, Phoenix and Dallas.

I think this tourney needs to either go down to Central America or else come up here for once. If it had to be bid on like Euro, perhaps more attention would be drawn to it and the venues would have to be top notch.

you know..i was thinking as I watched at least parts of all the completed games that maybe they could just have a small number of cities in different countries host this. Seriously, why not Toronto, Montreal, Chicago, Columbus, LA, Miami and Mexico City, or some variation, all in the same year. Only soccer stadiums, poor drawing matchups get small stadiums, every game looks full or near capacity, not a single game on an american football or baseball pitch. Really, are we that far away from making the obvious a reality? Is CONCACAF that corrupt/stupid?

Archived