• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a fan of the Russian league, I hardly notice that Luzhniki stadium has field turf when Spartak plays. If noone told you, you would think it was natural grass. The same can't be said of BMO even though it is also Field Turf. Of course everyone's neighbour's soccer team is not playing on Luzhniki when Spartak isn't so maybe that is the reason the turf at BMO is so poor.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

As a fan of the Russian league, I hardly notice that Luzhniki stadium has field turf when Spartak plays. If noone told you, you would think it was natural grass. The same can't be said of BMO even though it is also Field Turf. Of course everyone's neighbour's soccer team is not playing on Luzhniki when Spartak isn't so maybe that is the reason the turf at BMO is so poor.

It's precisely the reason.

Having stepped on that pitch in '07, '08 and '09, I have been able to see the gradual degradation of it first hand. If it was just TFC using it (with the odd CSA game and maybe even lacrosse thrown in), it would likely still be pristine.

Remember that the U20 WC Final was played there, and to my untrained eye did not affect the superb play of that game (or any others in that tourney). The turf has fallen to complete crap since then do to 20hr a day usage.

Since things have drifted over to the playing surface...

I wonder how much all the humming and hawing about MLSE building an alternative training centre has to do with not replacing the relatively inexpensive "pitch covering" portion of the Field Turf. By that I mean if MLSE is going to drop a couple millions on an off-site training centre (to meet the community use portion of their obligations) and turn BMO Field over to natural grass why drop $200-$300K on replacing the covering when it's all going to get torn up over the winter anyway? Put up with it for one last year.

Very wishful thinking on my part but the logic sort of fits. I can't believe MLSE would keep a crap covering when A). It's relatively cheap and easy to replace. And B). They know how detrimental sub-standard FieldTurf is to recruiting and maintaining players along with the negative presentations of their product that results from sub-standard FieldTurf.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'covering', but I don't see why MLSE would want to improve or replace the artificial surface at their own cost for a building they do not own when they are on record as wanting grass. Replacing the FieldTurf allows the city to continue to drag its ass about the surface change.

In this case, the worse the field gets the better the chances are that grass comes to BMO Field sooner than later. The team (and the fans) will just need to grin and bear it for the time being.

Guest speedmonk42

Yeah it was surprising to go from playing at BMO, then playing at the new field on Lamport and playing again at BMO a year later.

It was pounded down.

quote:Originally posted by Tintin

Did his teammates make him look bad? Pace has never been his strong point, but never a hindrance either. His skill at distributing the ball, both long and short has always been his strength. I've never seen him have a game anywhere near as nightmarish as two nights ago. The rest of the team weren't supporting him and he looked frustrated.

His lack of speed isn't as much of a hindrance offensively with the style he plays, as long as he has open passing options on his wavelength providing support. But it is a problem when you need him to close down opposition midfielders when his team doesn't have the ball.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I'm not sure what you mean by 'covering'

The fake plastic grass atop the FieldTurf base.

Was under the impression with FieldTurf you only ever replace the "covering", that plastic grass carpet as it wears out leaving the foundation intact.

Unless the FieldTurf at BMO Field isn't designed that way, it's a relatively cheap way to bring the fake pitch back to life as the grass thins out and the properties of the remaining plastic weather.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

replacing the relatively inexpensive "pitch covering" portion of the Field Turf.

As a basic rule of thumb whatever you paid for the original you will pay half for the replacement. So it isn't "inexpensive" by any stretch just less expensive than putting a new one.

Archived