quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

I beg to differ there. Last year TFC just had too many players who seemed to be not interested in the games. That was my observation last year. This year seems different. Whether it was Dichio's comment about wanting to win something or more canucks on the team who want to win it and especially the Ontario player who wnat to beat Montreal I don't know.

I realize it is just one game in but TFC really seem more into the game this year.

I saw many examples last year of players really going the extra mile. What I found quite unfair in some of the comments that I read here that it was the Canadian players who cared and non canadians who didn't. Which I thought was quite chauvinistic. People will see what they want to see. Not you specifically. Aside from the odd Laurent Robert ( who didn't care even for soem other non V-cup games).

I watched Guevarra and he seemed to care and I am sure that the prospect of playing against other Central american sides in CCL holds a certian appeal. You only had to see Carver's post game comments to see that he definitely cared.

As already mentioned, if Cunningham doesn't miss the side of the barn, if the Whitecaps dont benefit form a dubious PK call, and if Montreal doesn't pad up a huge goal diff versus Van, things could have been very different.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

What's with you people in Toronto giving Reda a hard time after getting clobbered? He walks off 'cause he'll be dead before he'll allow himself to be stretched off (not the smartest thing some times, but admirable in my books) and you bunch give him grief. Didn't need binoculars to see the man had his bell rung. Very poor form.

Its not all of us - some of us in the upper west stand were hurling abuse - not at Reda, but at the people who decided to boo him for daring to have an obvious head injury. These are the same people who will boo the Ref for calling an obvious foul committed by a Toronto player, which irritates me as it renders booing meaningless if you do it after every single play, even obvious correct calls. It makes us sound like Habs or Flyers fans, and nobody wants to be compared with them! [}:)]

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

But there is no indication that they didn't want it last year.

I'd say the way they played there was an indication that they took teams lightly - like Vancouver last year, who we failed to beat. Yeah we created some chances against Vancouver at home last year - but only in the 2nd half once we were down 1-0 and the team played with some urgency. If they had played with more urgency from the opening whistle they probably wouldn't have been down 1-0 on a goal late in the first half to begin with.

That might not have anything to do with "wanting it" but it might have been something to do with under-estimating opposition. Remember Tyrone Marshall's "league that blows" comment (which he tried to say was a mis-quote, but it comes to the same thing).

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Its not all of us - some of us in the upper west stand were hurling abuse - not at Reda, but at the people who decided to boo him for daring to have an obvious head injury. These are the same people who will boo the Ref for calling an obvious foul committed by a Toronto player, which irritates me as it renders booing meaningless if you do it after every single play, even obvious correct calls. It makes us sound like Habs or Flyers fans, and nobody wants to be compared with them! [}:)]

So true. TFC Soccer is the fashionable thing in TO (people stop me on the subway ride home to ask if we won). And with that comes the good and the bad. You get the fashionable types that are still there and do teh fashionable thing. At times like that, I am kind of wishing it would end and that we would get back to a little more class, without compromising the packed houses of course.

Chanting " TO Reject " was a classless act.

Having grown up with a pro soccer culture with over 100 years of history behind it as opposed to the brief 11 seasons old bush league operation that is the Toronto Lynx I can tell you that unless a player is seriously injured there is nothing out of the ordinary with singing something stuff like "Dig a hole and bury him" or with giving an ex-player a hard time upon his return to his former home stadium if he is a less than legendary figure. Big fuss over not very much by the sounds of things.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Having grown up with a pro soccer culture with over 100 years of history behind it as opposed to the brief 11 seasons old bush league operation that is the Toronto Lynx I can tell you that unless a player is seriously injured there is nothing out of the ordinary with singing something stuff like "Dig a hole and bury him"

I don't know that any one is making a "big fuss", but I think the point is that at the time of booing & so forth it seemed like it could have been a serious head injury. If its a concussion severe enough to end his career (hopefully not) it could still be. There was a clash of heads, two players went down and the Ref and all the players immediately called for the training staff to come on the field. But people were booing the player as though he was diving or time-wasting with his team down 1-0 - that just suggests cluelessness on the part of certain fans.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Having grown up with a pro soccer culture with over 100 years of history behind it as opposed to the brief 11 seasons old bush league operation that is the Toronto Lynx I can tell you that unless a player is seriously injured there is nothing out of the ordinary with singing something stuff like "Dig a hole and bury him" or with giving an ex-player a hard time upon his return to his former home stadium if he is a less than legendary figure. Big fuss over not very much by the sounds of things.

Ok. but the injury looked a little more serious and we are not really talking about the "Dig a hole and Bury him" chant. Dont know about you but I wouldn't compare Marco Reda's situation (from teh emotional standpoint) to that of, say, Sol Campbell returning to White Hart lane in a arsenal jersey.

But if we want to take cues from overseas, which i hate doing to begin with, in most cases, when a player gets up after being down in what is obviously a not dive, you usually hear polite applause.

The "dig a hold and burying him" is really intended for situation of dives and time wasting. And, other times too. I chant that as well. BTW, I was probably around when that chant was first initiated here at soccer games. But it seems that too often, there is auto mechanism " Chant response" to these things rather than a response to the situation in the bigger picture. It would be so much better if we all just followed the Capo's.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

^Speaking of classless, I think somebody threw a water bottle at Nash when he was taking that last minute corner. It made a pretty solid impact on the ground/ad board where it hit. I guess nobody ever died from a water bottle, but if that was Guevera, the near impact would have put him out for 4-6 weeks.

Saw the projectile getting near Nash, stupid stuff. Hope the security got the person who did that.

Ironic you mention Guevara in your post because Trafford did try to get Guevara sent off with some theatric late in the second half. That was classless from the Vancouver player IMO.

I thought many TFC players didn't look particularly up for the TFC-Vancouver match last year. Other than that they looked like they cared. But one bad result can kill you in such a short tournament.

Can any Vancouver fans tell me about Mason Trafford? Was last night a typical performance out of him because I can't see how he starts for you.

cheers,

matthew

^I think Teitur is trying to play as many young Canucks as possible, without putting too much pressure on academy kids. There have been a fair number of injuries thus far so I wouldn't say he's in the starting 11 by any means. He's only 22, in his second professional season, to be fair. Luca Bellisomo is in a similar boat, but has performed well this season. I'm not really sure why Hirano didn't start (injury I guess) but I agree and think Luca or Gage would have been a better pick.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Certainly not the most entertaining match.

Has there ever been an entertaining match on that field? It's atrocious...and I don't know why there, more-so than other field turfs.

The Whitecaps had no width. Their bread and butter is crosses in to G'beke and James...and there were none. Until the Whitecaps get good wingers, or play the right players out wide, they're not going to amount to much.

Ok, one thing I really noticed last night was that Teitur didnt even think about having defensive help for Wes Knight, he was having a fit with Dero all night and I know only 1 goal came from it, but after the first 20-30 min there should of been some kind or tactical change to help him out.

I really rate Knight, and really enjoyed him @ the MLS combine. But he is more of an attacking fullback and needs time to grow defensivly and last night they fed him to the lion.

James also is a big boy, and needs to stay stronger in the box. If he stood up and came through Nana instead of takin the dive he could of had a shot on goal.

Not the best game in the world, but everyone definatly put in the effort.

FWIW I thought Knight didn't do a bad job and handled DeRo better than Parke did. Knight had trouble to be sure, but for a young guy going up against DeRo (who looked up for it), I thought he did as well as can be expected.

He looks like he'll be a good player in the future for the Caps.

cheers,

matthew

The day after, and I'll see what I can still remember from the match:

Water bottle at Nash and booing Reda, both make TO fans seem like imbeciles. Notice I said "seem like".

Trafford made himself look like an idiot with that business with Guevara. I remember when Toronto signed Guevara, I read that he's a problem child forever in trouble with refs, but what I've never seen any sign of it.

The biggest disapointment for the Whitecaps in my opinion was Nash. He's a great distributer of the ball ordinarily, but I don't remember him connecting a single pass last night. When he was getting upset at his teammates for not "coming to" on the throw in in the second half, they were probably waiting for him to throw the ball deep into the box, which he is more than capable of doing, possibly as good as Serioux. He just looked off all night.

Barrett couldn't score in a brothel. What a waste of space.

Not the most entertaining game, mostly because the Whitecaps didn't show up.

Great atmosphere over the TV airwaves. Well done by the TFC crowd...NO away fans?!

quote:Originally posted by Tintin

The biggest disapointment for the Whitecaps in my opinion was Nash. He's a great distributer of the ball ordinarily, but I don't remember him connecting a single pass last night. When he was getting upset at his teammates for not "coming to" on the throw in in the second half, they were probably waiting for him to throw the ball deep into the box, which he is more than capable of doing, possibly as good as Serioux. He just looked off all night.

Well, what stands out to me about him is that he doesn't have much pace. He needs guys who are running off the ball and looking for space so he can make quick, first-time passes and keep possession moving, because he isn't going to have that burst you need to dribble the ball away from a marker. He seemed to get caught in possession a couple of times when he couldn't distribute to an open man immediately. Compounding the issue is that he doesn't have the quickness to help close down opposing midfielders. Looked like both those things were factors in his play on Wednesday evening.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Has there ever been an entertaining match on that field? It's atrocious...and I don't know why there, more-so than other field turfs.

It seems like its gotten worst this year. I only came to that realization during the televised match over the Easter weekend whereby the bounce of the balls was noticably greater in that game that what I recalled the first year. If they stick with that turf for another year, the games might start looking like the old NASL games

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

It seems like its gotten worst this year. I only came to that realization during the televised match over the Easter weekend whereby the bounce of the balls was noticably greater in that game that what I recalled the first year. If they stick with that turf for another year, the games might start looking like the old NASL games

The turf is getting worse because of all the community use the field gets.

^ agreed. the turf is only 3 years old but it has the level of wear that a 10 year old field gets.

Frankly, its embarrasing that our "national soccer stadium" and home to a soccer club that is raking in buckets of profits annually has such poor quality turf.

How it achieved FIFA re-certification last year is beyond me.

I don't mind turf, to be honest, but if a pro team is going to play on the stuff, it has to be the best (not Kevan Pipe's clearance sale variety) and there needs to be a commitment to replacing it regularly in light of how much that surface gets used

Was at the game and had a great time.I thought Wynne was going to have a hard time of keeping up with James early on and Toronto did their best to avoid their part of the pitch. It looked like the caps got pushy when the game was getting away from them. They were in it till the death and had our full attention with that last corner.

Good luck v the Impact, Caps!

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

^ agreed. the turf is only 3 years old but it has the level of wear that a 10 year old field gets.

Frankly, its embarrasing that our "national soccer stadium" and home to a soccer club that is raking in buckets of profits annually has such poor quality turf.

How it achieved FIFA re-certification last year is beyond me.

I don't mind turf, to be honest, but if a pro team is going to play on the stuff, it has to be the best (not Kevan Pipe's clearance sale variety) and there needs to be a commitment to replacing it regularly in light of how much that surface gets used

Come on VpJr Kevin Pipe has lots to answer for, but the stadium was built by the city of Toronto and the procurement process and technical specifications for construction were developed by the owner the city of Toronto.

Dont go talking about baragain basement the turf field was specified to be FIFA approved, it was and is, the lowest cost compliant bidder was selected. That is how it is done to say its bargain basement is a load of crap ... it was the lowest priced producte meeting the defined need.

If the defined need was wrong, find the person responsible for the technical specification inside the city of Toront and name them as being incompetent.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Well, what stands out to me about him is that he doesn't have much pace. He needs guys who are running off the ball and looking for space so he can make quick, first-time passes and keep possession moving, because he isn't going to have that burst you need to dribble the ball away from a marker. He seemed to get caught in possession a couple of times when he couldn't distribute to an open man immediately. Compounding the issue is that he doesn't have the quickness to help close down opposing midfielders. Looked like both those things were factors in his play on Wednesday evening.

Did his teammates make him look bad? Pace has never been his strong point, but never a hindrance either. His skill at distributing the ball, both long and short has always been his strength. I've never seen him have a game anywhere near as nightmarish as two nights ago. The rest of the team weren't supporting him and he looked frustrated.

Playing at BMO should be no excuse. The boys are well used to playing on crap pitches in the USL.

Archived