CSA Structure Petition

BrennanFan

This is the situation. The decision makers of soccer in this country, the CSA Board of Directors, has failed time and again in their running of elite soccer. Change is needed. They were told in the 2005 Deloitte report that their structure was the problem. They ignored it. They will not voluntarily give up their power.

If things will ever change, it is because those who care will make it impossible for the status quo to continue. So who cares about elite soccer in this country? ONLY US. If you are reading this, you care about our national teams.

Money is Power. Who funds Canadian soccer? The Clubs. The thousands of recreational soccer clubs are the only stakeholders who have any real power to force change in the CSA. Why don't they use their power then? Because their focus is on the recreational player, not the elite player. The only parties that can effect change are completely disconnected from the CSA problem.

Who will break the Club's out of their indifference? Only those who care. Who cares? We do. Just us. Nobody else. Things will never change unless we do something to mobilize the clubs.

What can we do?

PETITION

We need to start a basic, grass roots democratic call for change via a petition. A real petition, not an online petition. We will need the actual signatures of Recreational Club Presidents from across the country. The time is now. If we don't do this, nobody will.

The clubs will not be interested in a bloody revolution. We will not be able to convince them to stop sending money to the CSA. But if we ask them to sign a simple petition calling for change, then we would be well on our way.

We need a petition signed by every major club in Canada. We must ask for change in the decision making structure of the CSA. Options might be to ask for the immediate implementation of the 2005 Deloitte Report, or better yet, our very own Crawford Report - a full inquiry into the state of elite soccer in Canada.

Feedback?

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

I feel like if we start petitioning for something every month it takes away from when we put forward a petition, so I'd like to just let the Fire Mitchell letter stand until the CSA responds.

I didn't mean a press release leaf, I meant knocking on Club's doors and asking them to sign a petition. A large scale national petition like this would take many months to complete. Once we had the signatures, then we would go forward with something like a press release. But it's not just about a press release. We need to aim higher than that.

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

I feel like if we start petitioning for something every month it takes away from when we put forward a petition, so I'd like to just let the Fire Mitchell letter stand until the CSA responds.

Agreed especially since there already is a petition that asks for that started in December

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/canadian-soccer-association.html

We the undersigned ask that the Canadian Soccer Association take action quickly on several items.

In view of our recent early departure from World Cup Qualifications we feel that changes need to be made at several levels.

1) The Organization Review report prepared by Deloitte & Touche for the Canadian Soccer Association. It has been in your possession for almost 3 years. Start implementing it immediately.

2) In consultation with the Men's National Team players decide who is the best person to lead Canada forward as a coach.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

I didn't mean a press release leaf, I meant knocking on Club's doors and asking them to sign a petition. A large scale national petition like this would take many months to complete. Once we had the signatures, then we would go forward with something like a press release. But it's not just about a press release. We need to aim higher than that.

The majority of the youth clubs/districts know nothing about what goes on here. There would have to be a huge PR campaign to explain & sell the youth clubs/districts about why change.

I'm sorry to say, but I don't think this thread makes much sense. The whole problem with Canadian soccer infrastructure is that we're asking the grassroots to pay for the National Team. I'm not saying the CSA are the best money managers, but I doubt very much that another management team could accomplish much more on their budget. There's no way the grassroots wants to pay more, so what would a petition accomplish? If anything, the CSA are spend far too much time listening to their base, ie: the Rene Simoes fiasco.

Why don't we petition Kerfoot/Nash, MLSE, and Saputo to lend some professionalism to the MNT? Qualification for the World Cup would help their soccer business immensely. And Canadian Internationals are worth a lot more than the current lot of domestic players that the NTCs produce, so they have a vested interest in helping with the production line.

The main complaint I have with the CSA is that we don't play enough matches. Well, wouldn't the pro clubs have way more influence over this than the amateur clubs?

I would, in a heartbeat, commit $300-600 per year for tickets to 12 home friendlies. I'm sure we could get enough people to do the same between the Vs, RPB, & other groups to perhaps entice the pro clubs to start assisting with running some home friendlies. Then we could hit up the grassroots to buy some tickets. Which, to me, is about all they should really be expected to do in the context of making the MNT better.

Guest Jeffery S.

I agree that something may be necessary, but right now the ball is in the CSA's court on the Mitchell question. So it is a question of pacing, and not tiring everyone out.

A short while ago speedmonk proposed a series of Voyageur meetings, in fact a national meeting. I think that could be picked up on as a way to indirectly start talking publicly about certain questions, including explaining the reasons for the change to the grassroots, who after all are who vote in provincial reps who in turn perpetuate the CSA. I know that does not answer the immediacy of the concern, but perhaps the key is not to burn ourselves out. As I say, pacing it, and doing it on different levels.

In spite of that, BrennanFan, any sort of document or series of documents to back the case would help, that is a place to start, since you are talking about changing a structure it is a decent idea to start imagining other structures, and even laying out hypothetical functional models.

Just my opinion.

Forget about the CSA, they will not listen or change a thing. Best thing to do is to form a parallel soccer association. Contact the people in charge of the pro clubs ie kerfoot etc..and other like minded business/soccer people. These people can urge the amateur clubs to boycott the CSA and to support the new association with its professional board of directors.

The only way to get rid of the CSA cartle is to form a new national youth association where all the votes at the youth levels vote to change the PSO. By controlling the PSO you control the CSA. The reason behind this -

1. There can be only 1 NSO recognized by the Canadian Government due to the Federal Government, Sports Canada & the COC.

2. NSO can only be controlled by amateur sports groups & be non-profit. ie. the NHL & NHLPA has nothing to do w/ Hockey Canada other than their NSO sanctioning their leagues & use of their rules. Remember that the root & foundation of sports is amateur.

3. There can be only 1 member Association that is recognized by FIFA.

If youth levels across the country can't get it totally together on the votes to oust the PSO those that can form a national youth association. This association would be the youth leagues (clubs & districts) who could develop a nation wide program at amateur levels that funnel into the Provincial teams & NTC's. This same association can also funnel players into professional team academies. Reasons -

1. Leagues are rarely controlled by the PSO after leagues have filed their annual paperwork. Leagues can be connected in development.

2. Clubs & Districts are rarely controlled by the PSO after they have filed their annual paperwork. They can work w/ leagues to shape the future of Canadian soccer without PSO & NSO control provided channels into those programs are kept.

Clubs & Districts can reshape the PSO very easily but there has to be a national PR campaign to explain to the parents, club boards & district boards why a change is needed. Only those connected to the V's & NT players understand there is a problem. The rest are too busy maintaining the NSO, PSO, District & Club status quo. Very few District & Club board because of their mom & pop nature realize Canadian soccer has a problem. Basically soccer in this country from top to bottom is affected by the CSA.

IMO the biggest issue facing change at the Club & District level is for those that have ruled by power at those levels to be willing to be humble. They need to put aside their power & non-professional concepts & models to let those that have experience in governing & managing sports do their job for the kids & their future in the sport. As well you need buy in by the parents as they are the ones who are funding the sport.

Archived