USA/Mexico

Canuck in Boston

BMO also can't be natural because it also serves as the TFC practice facility and for local games. If a natural surface took that much of a regular beating it wouldn't be in a good enough condition for a professional game every week.

I still don't see the issue. The Crew stadium isn't just sitting there when the Crew ain't playing. They use it for Concerts and many Tournies and Highschool fixtures. The Crew are not the only users of that Stadium.

BMO should change to a natural field but probably don't wnat to fork out the extra dough to maintain it if properly maintained by proffesionals the Turf would be fine. (trust me I work at a golf course and have been to years of schooling for maintence on proffesional grass surface from Baseballm, Football, Golf and Soccer.)

quote:Originally posted by TheKottonmouthed

I still don't see the issue. The Crew stadium isn't just sitting there when the Crew ain't playing. They use it for Concerts and many Tournies and Highschool fixtures. The Crew are not the only users of that Stadium.

BMO should change to a natural field but probably don't wnat to fork out the extra dough to maintain it if properly maintained by proffesionals the Turf would be fine. (trust me I work at a golf course and have been to years of schooling for maintence on proffesional grass surface from Baseballm, Football, Golf and Soccer.)

Someone can correct me if I'm foggy on the details, but as I understand it, part of the deal with building the stadium of the first place was that it would be available for community use year-round, which isn't feasible with a grass field.

I've been inside the bubble at BMO Field during the winter and, believe me, although the bubble is "heated", if the temperature is minus 20 outside, it's not much warmer than that inside. You couldn't maintain the grass in those conditions, methinks.

quote:Originally posted by squizz

I've been inside the bubble at BMO Field during the winter and, believe me, although the bubble is "heated", if the temperature is minus 20 outside, it's not much warmer than that inside. You couldn't maintain the grass in those conditions, methinks.

Well the grass on my front lawn seems to bounce back from freezing temperatures no problem. :)

quote:Originally posted by TheKottonmouthed

In looking at the Stadium schedule, it's not used as much as you think.

http://www.crewstadium.com/?s=events&h=news

Also as it's SSS they aren't going to load the field up in the season so it's going to cost them a ton of extra over their grass maintenance budget.

Until TFC are going to build a AT complex for the community, them getting grass is out of the question.

As to the benefits of AT over grass for communities w/ multiple fields users, it's a not brainer. As we have debated here on the forums several times. Even FIFA has stated AT's are the future for soccer development.

http://www.fifa.com/search/index.htmx?q=artifical+fields

W/ you being from Langely, I sure you would agree that Surrey, Delta & Richmond who have the lowest player to AT ratio are playing more on their AT's than other areas in Metro Van are on their grass fields.

Even BCSA who's trying to change the season has realized Metro Van doesn't have enough AT's let alone sand-celled. They recently met w/ 12 municipalities to talk about changing the season & were told flatting by 10 of them that the current users aren't giving up any space. The 2 that did, Surrey & Richmond were maybe's.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

The Vancouver Parks board is getting ready for some new fields:

http://www2.canada.com/vancouvercourier/news/story.html?id=4415a186-aba6-4226-bb4b-2977e2db250c

Quoted from the above article -

"The reality is every time a new sports field opens there are three times the amount of people who want to use it," said Jeff Malmgren, who was former coordinator of the Vancouver Ultimate League. "As it is, adult soccer teams have no place to practise."

2 of these fields are replacement of Astro w/ Field Turf for Andy Livingston which was for the National Field Hockey team some many, many years ago. The fields were classified as use at your own risk for some 6+ years now.

2 have been promised & funded for several years. Actually one goes back to the time of Point Grey & Van Tech being approved.

The $5.5M is for the Tillium 2 fields.

The reality of CoV is that just for soccer they need a min of 12 AT w/ ideal being 16. There are 12,000 players during the traditional season.

The CoV is unable to build more than 1 field every couple of years. The fields they build cost more & take longer to build than any other area in Metro Van. Trillium will be their 1st 2 field complex but it's in a non soccer area.....go figure.

Archived