PEKERMAN LINKED WITH CANADIAN POST, AGAIN

Javier

It showed in our newspapars on weekend that again Jose Pekerman, former national team manager and 5 times u/20 world champion, was aproached by the CSA to take control of canadian football, is there any news?

please provide me any info ..

regards

Javier from Argentina

It wouldn't totally shock me if there was some truth to this. He has not bounced back professionally after choking in Germany, in fact his stock has steadily been dropping. He had a bit of success in the Mexican Premier with Toluca, but he was eventually pushed out within a year. Overall, he doesn't have a super impressive resume:

* Chacarita Juniors (Argentina) - Youth team coach (1982)

* Argentinos Juniors (Argentina) - Youth team coach (1982-1992)

* Colo-Colo (Chile) - Youth team coach (1992-1994)

* Argentina - National youth team coach (1994-2001)

* Leganés (Spain) - Director of Football (2003)

* Argentina national football team (2004-2006)

* Club Toluca of Mexico (2007-2008)

We have to be careful in not overrating this guy. He is not one of the top coaches in the world. He was hot at one time but thats a distant memory now. This might actually be a realistic option for us, if he's interested, which i think he is because this isn't the first time he's been linked to us. Of course, he would be the most expensive coach we've ever had, but it wouldn't be an astronomical figure. Maybe the CSA has a plan. Maybe stringing mitchell along for a while and not playing friendlys is actually part of a cost savings plan that will facilitate the hiring of Pekerman???????

Pekerman was interested in the MNT job 2 years ago. The President and VP of the CSA confirmed this to me in the meeting I had with them in October 2007.

I was told that they could not afford his price tag.

He would command about 3 to 4 times what they are paying Mitchell.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Pekerman was interested in the MNT job 2 years ago. The President and VP of the CSA confirmed this to me in the meeting I had with them in October 2007.

I agree that he would be a terrific selection, but if they couldn't afford his price tag then, they probably wont be able to afford his price tag now. Any ways, I fail to see the rush to hiring a full time MNT coach now to be honnest. The matches that count for Canada are four years away from now. There is, of course, the Gold Cup.

What benefit or urgency is there to have right candidate in place right now?

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

What benefit or urgency is there to have right candidate in place right now?

I don't think there is any rush either and said that on the podcast on Saturday.

I just don't want Dale leading the team at GC09

Give the team back to Stephen Hart on an interim basis until the right candidate is hired.

He is already on salary, no added cost.

I would be much more comfortable with him at the helm, Mitchell must go, I stopped watching the Canadian team after the second game of qualifying, that is when Mitchell should have been fired.

^ agreed. We need to regroup, get our stars back into the MNT fold,

play our hearts out, and win the Gold Cup. Then we can get more interest,

more sponsors, more friendlies, and get the coach we want (rather than

a compromise candidate due to money).

I can't imagine a coach of Mitchell's level can make all that much... But I agree with what has been said below, Stephen Hart is a better manager, the players like and trust him. The lunacy of keeping Mitchell around when you have an assistant manager who's more capable than the real manager is unfathomable.

Guest Jeffery S.

^ the problem with that scenario is that Stephen has a full time job right now. I think we can pretty much forget about Stephen taking over the MNT job this summer.

Thanks for clearing that up.

We have a good memory of Hart at the last GC, he seems to have a decent bedside manner, but he is not available.

And sure as hell Fonseca or none of those guys, like Dasovic, Watson, the continuation of the Mitchell-led Vancouver old boys network, have the stuff.

We need a new coach, with his team, who has a mandate to work on the national program in general including youth and getting the youth teams training in the way he sees fit, and able to make the right choices in call ups, training, choosing rivals for friendlies and putting the right players in the right position vs depending what opposition, and changing mid-game when circumstances require. A real professional coach, asap. So hard?

Archived