Can the CSA learn somthing from Canadian cricket?

Joe Keeper

http://cricket.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/News/News/Cricket_to_have_multi-city_league_in_Canada_/articleshow/3890689.cms

I found this very interesting. While the plans for a winter scheduled national cricket league may be fanciful, the Canadian Cricket Association seems to atleast have the more logically driven methods for building the game at home that the CSA fundamentally lacks so far.

If cricket, with far less people playing the sport in canada than our game can do it, why not soccer?

No, the CSA can't learn anything from Canada's cricket administrators. Cricket Canada has only just obtained (2008) its first major sponsor. In the past few years they have started to get their house in order (audited financial statements, qualified for federal funding). However, the governing body is full of politics and is far from transparent. Most cricket fans would probably agree that the concept of a national semi-pro league is a non-starter for the same reasons some people will say a national soccer league is not viable. At best, a regional league based around Toronto (sound familiar) would be a stuggle. Fortunately, no one has as yet put money into the proposed cricket league. If they do, it will be at very high risk.

^most of the Indian population in Vancouver, and in most other Canadian cities for that matter, came to Canada in the late-sixties and seventies. That was before cricket really became massively popular in India. You'll find that most of the Indo-Canadian community is more interested in football than cricket.

Really? my parents live on the surrey-delta border. I remember there being one brown family at my school in 1990, now my parents are the only white people on their street. Surrey alone now has 100k+ Indians. So while the Indians in Vancouver proper came in the late-sixties and seventies, those in Richmond came in late seventies and eighties, and those in Surrey and the Valley came since the '90s.

I don't disagree about Indo-Canadian being more interested in football than cricket though.

You'd think that with Canada's largest ethnic group being European there'd be a greater interest in footy than there currently is. However the problem in Canada is not the popularity of the sport its the lack of national pride. It's those displays of Italian,Portugese,and Greek flags during the World Cups and Euro's. Its time we get some national pride back here folks.

quote:You'd think that the huge Indo-Canadian population in Southern BC would also make for a decent regional market.

I've seen cricket being played in Kits, Stanley Park and Abbotsford. Here is the link to the Lower Mainland League. My perception is that it is increasing in popularity.

http://www.bcmcl.org/index.jsp?form=teamstru&r=teamstru&season_id=2008REG

From what I recall of the last World Cup, Canada's team was a hodge-podge of Canadians from India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Austalia, New Zealand and the Windies. There seemed to a mix of those born here and those who immigrated here. Our best player at the time was born in Campbell River and moved to Australia. Somewhat surprisingly he set a tournament record for the fastest century. Here are some highlights. http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko4IZ9WHl1g

As far as the CSA learning from Cricket Canada: a look at the Cricket Canada website suggests that Scotiabank is their one and only corporate sponsor. Even the CSA is a little better than that.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

Can anyone even find the details of this new Cricket league? I really want to see if its a national league or just a couple teams in Toronto.

The league is just a proposal right now. They are looking for the financial backing ... and may be waiting for a while. In October 2007 news of a Canadian pro cricket league was mentioned in Indian online newspapers. The Cricket Canada website was advertising for an operations manager. Needless to say, no such league came to fruition. This lasted attempt is Pro Cricket v2.0, slightly revamped in that it will take place in the winter months (a bit too late for 2008-09 it seems).

In the end, I don't see that Canada is ready for professional or semi-professional cricket. The groundwork has not been laid to make it work. The same could be said for soccer. If the Canadian men were reaching the World Cup, there would be much more corporate support available.

Can anyone even find the details of this new Cricket league? I really want to see if its a national league or just a couple teams in Toronto.

The league is just a proposal right now. They are looking for the financial backing ... and may be waiting for a while. In October 2007 news of a Canadian pro cricket league was mentioned in Indian online newspapers. The Cricket Canada website was advertising for an operations manager. Needless to say, no such league came to fruition. This lasted attempt is Pro Cricket v2.0, slightly revamped in that it will take place in the winter months (a bit too late for 2008-09 it seems).

In the end, I don't see that Canada is ready for professional or semi-professional cricket. The groundwork has not been laid to make it work. The same could be said for soccer. If the Canadian men were reaching the World Cup, there would be much more corporate support available.

This topic interests me a lot as I used to play some cricket when I lived in the UK and still follow the sport and watch the occasional test match and 20/20.

I agree with Ray, I can't see the sport (or the idea of a professional or semi-professional league) taking off in Canada in the near future, maybe except for areas around Toronto and Vancouver. We have made it to the last few World Cups but seeing how television coverage of the game in general is limited to a specialty Asian channel that costs $15/month, I don't know where you'd get people engaged enough to even understand the rules.

If you think the CSA has a tough challenge, Canada Cricket has an almost impossible one I'm afraid.

Really? my parents live on the surrey-delta border. I remember there being one brown family at my school in 1990, now my parents are the only white people on their street. Surrey alone now has 100k+ Indians. So while the Indians in Vancouver proper came in the late-sixties and seventies, those in Richmond came in late seventies and eighties, and those in Surrey and the Valley came since the '90s.

I don't disagree about Indo-Canadian being more interested in football than cricket though.

Wow, that is more than Brampton. [:0]

I would be shock if this Canadian semi-pro cricket league ever becomes successful.

Archived