When's the 2009 schedule out?

I'd imagine the dates are already set, and the teams are just waiting for the USL and MLS schedules to be released.

MLS generally releases its full sched the first week of February (although they release the first few weeks of fixtures the first week of December)

When does the USL sched come out?

I was thinking they release the first 3 games first and have every team play one home and 1 away game in this set.

Example:

Toronto @ Vancouver

Vancouver @ Montreal

Montreal @ Toronto

Pending on how results happen.. the next game is played with between the 2 teams with the lowest amount of points.

THen they release the 5th game and make it so that there is minimal chance that the team winning the Cup is not playing in the last game. It's going to be hard to make it 100% like this, but they have to figure out a way so that a team isnt watching the last game praying for a certain result and winning the cup by watching at home.

quote:Originally posted by michaeltfc91

I was thinking they release the first 3 games first and have every team play one home and 1 away game in this set.

Example:

Toronto @ Vancouver

Vancouver @ Montreal

Montreal @ Toronto

Pending on how results happen.. the next game is played with between the 2 teams with the lowest amount of points.

THen they release the 5th game and make it so that there is minimal chance that the team winning the Cup is not playing in the last game. It's going to be hard to make it 100% like this, but they have to figure out a way so that a team isnt watching the last game praying for a certain result and winning the cup by watching at home.

Great points.

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

^ Took me a second to process that, but oddly enough that is the beauty of a three-team tourney. I wonder how the cup presentation would work if the team with the bye won?

Next home game probably...unless the team clinched it in their last game.

As an aside the CCL starts a couple weeks earlier this year. I would think the V-Cup might shift accordingly...wanna bet the final game is at BMO on Canada Day?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by michaeltfc91

Example:

Toronto @ Vancouver

Vancouver @ Montreal

Montreal @ Toronto

This is well thought out. A similar debate was just seen in Argentina with the three-way tie at the top. They set the three games to decide the champ, but without taking what you are saying into consideration.

In that case, the interesting idea was that after the first match, the loser had to play the second vs. the one who had not played, so that the last game would be automatically meaningful.

Your idea is good but they tend to schedule well in advance and I don't think they'll do it. We also debated the subject last spring in fact. I argued that they should have a financial incentive to get points in the competition (more points, more money), so that the club could offer a small bonus to its players even when not playing for the Championship. Others thought that professionals should always play to win. I think that is naive, there has to be an incentive, here I agree with you that they should design the schedule so there is always something to play for, especially when a third party may depend on you.

quote:So anyone know when the schedule's out for the 2009 VCup?

Next year’s BMO National Championships club competitions take place 7-12 October in Saskatoon, SK (senior), Alberta (U-18), Winnipeg, MB (U-16) and Sydney, NS (U-14). As for the 2009 Nutrilite Canadian Championship, the full schedule is expected to be announced in late February.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?sub=1&Press_ID=3471

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

When does the USL sched come out?

According to the website of Canoe of January 8th, 2009: «La USL-1 dévoilera officiellement le calendrier de la prochaine saison dans environ une semaine.»

(The USL-1 will reveal officially the calendar of the next season in approximately one week.)

http://www2.canoe.com/sports/nouvelles/archives/2009/01/20090108-110000.html

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

As an aside the CCL starts a couple weeks earlier this year. I would think the V-Cup might shift accordingly...wanna bet the final game is at BMO on Canada Day?

I'll take that bet, Duane. :D

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

They might start the competition there on Canada Day, using the Soccer Day In Canada special to gain more exposure for it.

Not a chance.

The CCL starts in late July this year, so if anything the final match will be on Canada Day.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

uhh isn't Canada day July 1st?

You seem to have misread. Allow me to recap.

Tuscan: They might start the competition on Canada Day (July 1)

Rudi: No, the CCL starts earlier this year, so if anything, the competition will end on Canada Day (July 1).

Mr. Impact: ?

Understand now? :D

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by massimo

If they put the whole schedule out at one time, which is what they will probably do, Then they should have the last game held at the current Cup holder's stadium.

I.E. Since Montreal won last year they should hold the last game in Mtl this year.

I was thinking about something similar too. The last match to be played at the holder's stadium, a sort of privilege you earn for yourself by winning the previous year. A seeding. Let the others, if they really want the thing, show their stuff by taking it from them, in their faces.

After all, Impact took it last year in Toronto so it can be done.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I was thinking about something similar too. The last match to be played at the holder's stadium, a sort of privilege you earn for yourself by winning the previous year. A seeding. Let the others, if they really want the thing, show their stuff by taking it from them, in their faces.

After all, Impact took it last year in Toronto so it can be done.

Another good idea brought up in this thread. I think if the CBC has their way though, they would choose BMO. TFC was instrumental in bringing the CBC to the table for this tournament, so they probably have more pull.

Archived