Gabe gala came in for Bunbury,

KOA came in for Lassonde

Ethan Gage came in for Perriera

US goal scored in 1st half.

CSA Report:

Category: Exhibition

Score: Canada 0, United States 1

Canada 0:1 USA (Match tracker)

Canada played an exhibition scrimmage against the United States today at the conclusion of each team's December camp in Sunrise, FL. Canada lost the match 0:1 to the United States.

"USA provided us with a very good challenge," said coach Tony Fonseca. "They are a strong, physical group team and they created a few problems for us in the first half."

The United States scored its lone goal in the first half (21st minute). USA did carry the better part of the play in the first half, but not as much as the statistics would suggest (USA had seven shots to Canada's none). Still, USA pressed forward, used the long ball and created of lots of high pressure. The flow went back and forth with the USA quick to counter on Canada's mistakes.

"We were outplayed in the first half, so we made some adjustments and we re-entered the game well," said Fonseca. "It was good to see that we can play as well as we did and that we can react. I was very happy with the second half."

In the second half, Canada played much better as it started to generate much of the play. Canada created more scoring opportunities in the box (five shots), but just could not score the tying goal. There was a play late in the game that might have given Canada a penalty shot on another day, but not this time. The score ended 0:1 in USA's favour.

"The most important thing is qualifying for the FIFA U-20 World Cup, that is our principle objective," said Fonseca. "Working with this group, it is very important to find those players."

Game Events

Minute Event

01 Canadian player Roberto Stillo entered the game.

01 Canadian player Fabrice Lassonde entered the game.

01 Canadian player Nana Attakora-Gyan entered the game.

01 Canadian player Adam Straith entered the game.

01 Canadian player Paris Nakajima-Farran entered the game.

01 Canadian player Philippe Davies entered the game.

01 Canadian player Sean Rosa entered the game.

01 Canadian player Brandon Bonifacio entered the game.

01 Canadian player Michael Pereira entered the game.

01 Canadian player Teal Bunbury entered the game.

01 Canadian player Marcus Haber entered the game.

21 Goal scored by opponent player USA.

46 Canadian player Fabrice Lassonde left the field.

46 Canadian player Teal Bunbury left the field.

46 Canadian player Kennedy Owusu-Ansah entered the game.

46 Canadian player Gabriel Gala entered the game.

64 Canadian player Sean Rosa left the field.

64 Canadian player Sean Rosa entered the game.

75 Canadian player Michael Pereira left the field.

75 Canadian player Ethan Gage entered the game.

77 Canadian player Gabriel Gala was cautioned.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

"21 Goal scored by opponent player USA."

Good lord.

Only from the CSA. Uninformed and showing it for years on end.

Are they still using a PDF for some godforsaken reason as a match tracker?

Go look at other FA website for some youth match reports...you'll see that the CSA website is usually providing some good information about games.

This one is not very good though but maybe they'll add more later.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

For the record, the USA website has still nothing about the game...

I am noticing a pattern within the US soccer community in that there seems to be a great deal of indifference toward their national teams and in particular their national youth sides. I am not sure that i would trade our problems, in regards to getting boisterous home support at international matches, for theirs.

One of my memories of last years U20 WC: It so happens that my ticket package included the playoffs and the US ended up playing two of their play offs in TO ( versus Uruguay and Austria) and I attended both. The joint was packed for both games and the US opponents had a very sizable contingent of support. But i didn't even notice or hear the US support unless I looked very carefully. Yet here we have ( In the case of the Uru-USA game) a nation of 300 mill people sitting next door to Canada playing a nation of 3 million people that is thousands of miles away in a different continent. And Uruguayan support out numbers the US by something like 100 to 1. Furthermore the US, on paper, really had a hell of a team. Were they not unfortuntate against Aut, they might have found themselves in the finals. The US support was no more noticeable against Austria. Go figure.

Guest Jeffery S.

I think the US can rightly put their youth sides way down on the list since their senior mens side is regularly qualifying for World Cups and the women winning them. If your top results are better, you are not going to worry about all the rest, it is only when you don't have them that you start reaching for something else to grab on to.

It is like a fan like me following Barça, what the 2nd team does is very unimportant and even the Spanish Cup is largely ignored, unless of course the 1st team is an absolute disaster, which is when you look for solace elsewhere.

Report from the Whitecaps site:

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/youth/news_archives/youthnews12220801.aspx

USA edge Canada in Monday friendly

December 22, 2008

Ethan Gage made a late substitute appearance versus USA U-20's on Monday morning.

CSA & Whitecaps FC

Canada's U-20 men's national team lost 1-0 to USA U-20's in an international friendly match on Monday morning.

On the final day of the team's week-long December training camp in Sunrise, Florida, former Vancouver Whitecaps men's team head coach Tony Fonseca included Whitecaps Residency centre back Adam Straith and midfielder Philippe Davies in his starting XI.

Yet, it was Thomas Rongen's young Americans that made the most of a bright first-half display, with the game's winning goal coming on 21 minutes after they out-shot Canada 7-0 during the opening 45 minutes. "USA provided us with a very good challenge," Fonseca told CanadaSoccer.com. "They are a strong, physical group and they created a few problems for us in the first half."

A goal down, Fonseca made four changes to his line-up after the break, with Residency defender Ethan Gage making another late appearance for the U-20 squad. Canada's performance improved after the restart, and although they created several chances and had strong appeals for a late penalty, the Americans held on for the win.

Despite the result, Fonseca was encouraged by Canada's second-half display. "We were outplayed in the first half, so we made some adjustments and we re-entered the game well," he said. "It was good to see that we can play as well as we did and that we can react. I was very happy with the second half."

Having included four Residency players in his squad during this latest training camp, Fonseca will continue to evaluate talent, as he looks to shape his squad for an important year in 2009. "The most important thing is qualifying for the FIFA U-20 World Cup, as that is our principle objective," he said. "Working with this group, it is very important to find those players."

CANADA U-20 (Whitecaps players in bold)

22.Roberto Stillo; 2.Fabrice Lassonde (20.Kennedy Owusu-Ansah 45'), 4.Adam Straith, 5.Nana Attakora-Gyan, 12.Paris Nakajima-Farran; 3.Philippe Davies, 7.Sean Rosa (13.Mackenzie Pridham 64'), 8.Brandon Bonifacio, 11.Michael Pereira (16.Ethan Gage 75'); 9.Marcus Haber, 19.Teal Bunbury (10.Gabriel Gala 45')

Subs not used: 1.Julien Latendresse-Levesque, 4.Alex Suprenant, 6.Derek Gaudet, 15.Octavio Maginnis Castro, 17.Matthew Lam

From USsoccer.com

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_12124161.html

U.S. U-20 MNT Tops Haiti, Canada to Round Out Camp in Sunrise, Fla.

SUNRISE, Fla. (Dec. 22, 2008) -- The U.S. Under-20 Men's National Team defeated Haiti 2-0 and Canada 1-0 to round out their eight-day training camp in Sunrise, Fla.

Thomas Rongen's squad topped Haiti on Saturday, Dec. 20 behind goals from Abdus Ibrahim and Danny Cruz. Ibrahim finished a corner kick taken by Michael Stephens and headed down by Sheanon Williams for the first score of the night in the 38th minute. In the 76th minute, Anthony Wallace crossed the ball to Cruz just outside the penalty area, and Cruz hit a volley that sailed into the far post for a highlight-reel goal.

Against Canada on Sunday, Dec. 22, Sam Garza scored the game's only goal as the U.S. picked up a 1-0 win. Williams sent in a long ball from his right back position that sailed over Canada's back line to Garza. Garza brought the ball down and was in alone on the goalkeeper before slotting the ball away.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I am noticing a pattern within the US soccer community in that there seems to be a great deal of indifference toward their national teams and in particular their national youth sides. I am not sure that i would trade our problems, in regards to getting boisterous home support at international matches, for theirs.

One of my memories of last years U20 WC: It so happens that my ticket package included the playoffs and the US ended up playing two of their play offs in TO ( versus Uruguay and Austria) and I attended both. The joint was packed for both games and the US opponents had a very sizable contingent of support. But i didn't even notice or hear the US support unless I looked very carefully. Yet here we have ( In the case of the Uru-USA game) a nation of 300 mill people sitting next door to Canada playing a nation of 3 million people that is thousands of miles away in a different continent. And Uruguayan support out numbers the US by something like 100 to 1. Furthermore the US, on paper, really had a hell of a team. Were they not unfortuntate against Aut, they might have found themselves in the finals. The US support was no more noticeable against Austria. Go figure.

I was there for the US/Austria game...there wasn't one person I saw supporting them. I was pretty surprised.

Archived