Lament for the momentem lost.

superbrad

I was showing my out of town in-laws some of the videos of the WCQ games and the V's participation this year. What a year for this organization. I look back to the promise on all the faces of those who marched and filled BMO field August 20th.

Voyageurs - we brought it. We did our part and the team let us down. We can wax poetic about what the reasons for the dismal performance - however I think we can look back at 2008 as the year we became a real soccer fan nation. I'm proud to have participated and to have made many friends.

My personal commitment is this. I'm going to try to attend as many games as possible in the future. That way I will continue to do my part - whether or not the players, the CSA or Dale Mitchell do theirs. I can't imagine anything more fun than the solidarity of a solid Voyageur group yelling louder than the Americans on their turf - no matter the importance of the game. I hope to see many of you there - so that what little (if any) of the momentum we gained....is not lost.

Brad, there is no doubt that we grew as a fan organization this year, and of course it will be a challenge to maintain our level after the disappointment of WCQ; however, I'm sure you can agree that the edmonton game was proof of our resilience. Think about it. Even though we were already eliminated, hundreds of v's, some new and some old, filled our section and cheered loud. Most of my friends who came along were the typical oblivious-to-soccer-in-canada types, and were very impressed with how we played mexico.

I guess I'm rambling a bit but the point is that despite our team's losses this year we as a group made a lot of gains and they won't be forgotten. After attending all 4 home games this year (and i think i'm the only one who did) I plan on matching your commitment to attend as many games as I can in the future, to ensure that our momentum is not lost.

Jesus, every f-ing time we have a chance to bring up MTL is it really necessary? I for one bought 50 tickets to that game myself and got 50 of my friends to experience a WCQ match, ok it wasn't what everyone thought it would be. I know that many others Montrealers did a lot a work too. So can we move on please?

I'm from Quebec and I had 15 peoples with me. I did my part as well Massimo, but the reality is the crowd in MTL was a disgrace.

Don't take it personally, when someone says MTL let us down, it's about the people who didn't showed up not us who did our best to have as many canadian supporters as we could.

For what it's worth,the moments after Serioux scored to put Canada up 1 nil was one of the best that I've ever experienced as a Voyageur. The Voyageurs went nuts and the Hondurans(all 9000 of them)went silent. We got a brief glance of ourselves on the replay of the goal on tv. What a sight that was. It was exciting and very memorable. Thanks to everyone who made that happen.

I hope to experience that moment again in the future.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

For what it's worth,the moments after Serioux scored to put Canada up 1 nil was one of the best that I've ever experienced as a Voyageur. The Voyageurs went nuts and the Hondurans(all 9000 of them)went silent. We got a brief glance of ourselves on the replay of the goal on tv. What a sight that was. It was exciting and very memorable. Thanks to everyone who made that happen.

True, very true. As Ben Knight puts it...'Onward!' hehehe

quote:Originally posted by massimo

Loyola, I agree however I'm just tried of reading the same comment over and over again, thats all.

I understand where you coming from but to be fair before August 20th, Toronto was known as a city where Canada was the away team.

Anyways, we have a lot of work to do before ensuring our MNT has always the home advantage when we play in WCQ.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I'm from Quebec and I had 15 peoples with me. I did my part as well Massimo, but the reality is the crowd in MTL was a disgrace.

Don't take it personally, when someone says MTL let us down, it's about the people who didn't showed up not us who did our best to have as many canadian supporters as we could.

I, along with many other supporters, certainly don't hold anything against our contingent in Montreal. The Montreal Voyageurs, as well as other Quebec-based Vs, did a tremendous job supporting their country last September. We had a loud and boisterous supporters' section largely because of them, one that was worthy of a better performance on that chewed-up pitch.

Of course, it goes without saying that Canada's support beyond section 114 could have used a lot of work. Circumstances regarding the marketing and selling of tickets contributed to the pro-Honduras crowd, and they have been discussed ad nauseam on this board. The important thing is that we learn from our mistakes and move on. Canada will play other matches on home soil - hopefully sooner rather than later. The next time we play, we'll just need to bring our best again.

best moment of my short life supporting Canada. I was in Montreal and I'm not accusing Montreal V's of not doing their job. I'm blaming the rest of Montreal, the rest of Canada and the media for not filling that stadium with a pro-Canadian crowd.

Great post Brad... Hopefully we get 100's more make the same commitment to taking in as many games as possible.

I honestly feel very torn about 2008 in terms of Canadian Soccer. The Brazil game in Seattle I will never forget. Same with taking in games in Toronto, Montreal, and Edmonton. I have a lot of good Canadian Soccer memories in 2008 that I will never forget, but exiting out of the WCQ so early really killed my spirits. It's still going to take me time to get over this, not for the fact that we are OUT. But also the fact that there seems to be no effective Leadership in Canadian soccer, and there seems to be a huge "Cannot Do" attitude at the CSA that borderlines on disturbing.

The Voyageurs showed up in force in Montreal, Toronto, and Edmonton. You're right Brad. No one can say otherwise.

That moment was unreal. I was the kid who jumped up on the railing and was pulling that netting all over the place. But before that I jumped down from the second row near the left exit, ran up and down the first row hugging everyone. Wow unreal feeling. Minute 50 onwards.... hell

^he he....I had the same moment in Edmonton when I watched the 2nd Radz goal from the top of the stairs (waiting for the humongous beer line) and then running around taunting all the Mexicans who had been doing the same thing dancing around the concourse. Man the look on their faces.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha Keegan I remember that. Then the security guard came and yelled at you :P. I was in the 6th row I believe at the time (right in front of Toronto MB, he was the guy calling on the Hondurans throughout the game wasn't he? :D). I'd have to say when we scored on that corner the feeling the came over our section was unbelievable. It topped my last game v Jamaica at BMO. I seen a lot of familiar faces that were in Toronto although I wish I could put those faces to usernames. As long as I'm in and about the country I'll support us, poor University student or not.

Archived