4-3-3 vs Honduras

Sam

We've been **** for most of the last three matches . We've played about 50,000 formations since Mitchell deems it necessary to change every single time a pass goes astray. One of the only formations we haven't tried yet is the 4-1-4-1 that we played under Hart at the GC, and against Costa Rica at BMO, even though I think that is still the best option its not time to start tinkering in a do or die match. Anyways one of the only times we played well against a class side in the first three matches was the last 25 minutes against Mexico. We were playing an attacking 4-3-3. Our forwards were putting pressure on the Mexico back four, and they were coughing up the ball. We need to put pressure on the Honduras back four from the onset next weekend. If they can settle into a rhythm early at home it could get ugly. We need to force lots of mistakes early from Honduras. I think the best way is to use a familiar 4-3-3. One of the weak spots of the 4-3-3 is the lack of width from the midfield, but considering we get all of our limited width from Klukowski at left back and occasionally Stalteri at right beck anyway this won't be a big issue for Canada. I know its sad to being saying that we should give up trying to get width from our midfield, but we all know its true and we shouldn't try and experiment and force it in a game as big as this. With DeRo suspended we lose a lot of pace and creativity up front, but we should be okay if we use the same front three we did against Mexico.

-----Hume------Friend-----Gerba-------

We are using our best striker at club level in Friend and the man with the best strike rate for Canada in Gerba. Hume has also been playing well for his club and has out in some good games for Canada in the past. The thing about playing Friend as a striker is that we will need to rely on crosses from our fullbacks, but I have faith in Klukowski, and Stalteri can be effective going forward even if he hasn't shown it recently. The midfield three in Mexico was DeRosario, De Guzman, and Hutchinson. I think we should just change the suspended DeRo for Bernier in a more defensive middle role.

---------------Bernier---------------

---De Guzman--------------Hutchinson--

The midfield has three very good passers of the ball. They should be able to carve out some opportunities for the forwards, and they can also all hold their own defensively. Finally the back four. As I said we will play Klukowski and Stalteri (even with his dismal defending shown by the Mexico and Honduras matches). I think we need a bit of pace at Centre Back to cover for the suspension of Serioux. So I suggest a back four of:

---Klukowski---Mckenna--Jakovic--Stalteri---

We all know Mitchell will play a slow pairing of McKenna and Hastings, and we will get burned on the counter attack just like last time against Honduras, and against Estonia. But I think Jakovic would provide some pace at the back to compliment the strength of McKenna, and I think they could prove an effective pairing.

So the entire formation would look like this

--------------------Hirshfeld----------------

---Klukowski---Mckenna--Jakovic--Stalteri----

---------------------Bernier-----------------

--------De Guzman--------------Hutchinson-----

-----------Hume------Friend-----Gerba----------

On the bench we have Issey, and Radz to replace the forwards. To be honest we have really don't have many other options in Central midfield that have been called up (except for Harmse [xx(]). Then we can have Brenn- oh wait, I mean Hastings and De Jong off the bench as defenders. Well writing this has made me feel a little more pessimistic than I already was. This is by no means a brilliant XI, and the bench is pretty thin, but at the moment I think its the best we have with the players that have been called up, and the best formation we can use to suit these players.

Allez les Rouges!

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

--------------------Hirshfeld----------------

---Klukowski---Mckenna--Jakovic--Stalteri----

---------------------Bernier-----------------

--------De Guzman--------------Hutchinson-----

-----------Hume------Friend-----Gerba----------

No De Guzman... my entire system is f*cked so is Canada.

We need to go with a 4-4-2 now that Julian is out, play Bernier and Atiba in the center with Radz and ? Dejong or hume on the wing with Friend and Gerba or Hume up front, only logical formation really. And then in the next game we bring in Dero in the middle or on one of the wings and possibly even throw serioux in as a destroyer.

We need to go with a 4-4-2 now that Julian is out, play Bernier and Atiba in the center with Radz and ? Dejong or hume on the wing with Friend and Gerba or Hume up front, only logical formation really. And then in the next game we bring in Dero in the middle or on one of the wings and possibly even throw serioux in as a destroyer.

Call in Will Johnson...and stop *****footing with a defensive lineup, we need to put our cards on the table to win.

-------------Lars-------------

Stalteri-BigKev-Hastings-Kluks

------------Bernier-----------

Radz-------------------Johnson

-------------Hutch------------

--------Gerba-----Friend------

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Call in Will Johnson...and stop *****footing with a defensive lineup, we need to put our cards on the table to win.

-------------Lars-------------

Stalteri-BigKev-Hastings-Kluks

------------Bernier-----------

Radz-------------------Johnson

-------------Hutch------------

--------Gerba-----Friend------

Switch Hutch for Johnson. Johnson is perfect in that role right behind the front two. And I don't get playing McKenna and Hastings together. We've got burned on the counter enough this year.

^ We've given up more goals on headers inside our own box (Onstad OG, Marques and Bravo) than we've given up on counters. I can't even recall a goal caused by our CENTRE backs being outpaced. I'll take McKenna to start thank you very much.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

^ We've given up more goals on headers inside our own box (Onstad OG, Marques and Bravo) than we've given up on counters. I can't even recall a goal caused by our CENTRE backs being outpaced. I'll take McKenna to start thank you very much.

Both Honduran goals came off quick counterattacks, but you could argue that had more to do with our midfield getting completely caught out, especially on the excellent outlet pass on the second goal. Regardless, I like to see what McKenna can do.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Both Honduran goals came off quick counterattacks, but you could argue that had more to do with our midfield getting completely caught out, especially on the excellent outlet pass on the second goal. Regardless, I like to see what McKenna can do.

First off I think Hastings has to take some of the blame for one of the Honduras goal (I can't remember if it was the first or the second). We also gave up two goals on the counter against Estonia. So this group of players has a history of giving up goals on the counter attack.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

The counterattacks in the Honduras game were, as you state, caused by breakdowns in our midfield, the centre backs were not the issue. Stalteri couldn't handle his man attacking on the left for Honduras on the first goal and Suazo created the 2nd from the right. And both goals in Mexico were headers in the box. We definitely need McKenna in there for Serioux. Estonia? WTF?

quote:Originally posted by Ed

The counterattacks in the Honduras game were, as you state, caused by breakdowns in our midfield, the centre backs were not the issue. Stalteri couldn't handle his man attacking on the left for Honduras on the first goal and Suazo created the 2nd from the right. And both goals in Mexico were headers in the box. We definitely need McKenna in there for Serioux. Estonia? WTF?

After the friendly against Estonia I wrote on here that I was very worried about our ability to defend the counter attack, as we gave up 2 goals on the counter to a very week Estonia side. These issues were not addressed by Mitchell. Regardless of whether the centre backs have been at fault, I still think that play with two slow centre backs is a scary situation.

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

Switch Hutch for Johnson. Johnson is perfect in that role right behind the front two. And I don't get playing McKenna and Hastings together. We've got burned on the counter enough this year.

Mitchell could start either of them in that role and then have them switch if it doesn't work out.

I'd rather have someone fast at CB, but that's not really an option right now. I'd contemplate Jakovic in there, but McKenna also gives us height on set pieces and we might just need one of his headers to win the game. When Serioux comes back for the Mexico game he replaces whoever of McKenna or Hastings played worse.

Both Honduran goals were the fault of De Guzman. On the first, he tried to trap the Honduran player on the right who was already marked by Hutchinson. That left about a huge gaping whole in the center which allowed the Hondurans to play a simple two touch sequence to allow the midfielder to be in acre's of space running at the defense at speed. Everyone blames Stalteri but personally, I think De Guzman is the main one responsible.

On the second goal, Kluklowski was caught upfield and Hastings had to come across to mark the player on the right who had run into that space. DeGuzman and Hutchinson were level with Nunez at centerfield with DeGuzman closer to the player ahead that Hastings was marking. Hutch sprinted back to help Hastigs. Nunez ran unmarked to the top of the 18 yard box and received the past and scored. DeGuzman should either of run back to help Hastings or picked up Nunez. He didn't, and they scored.

In both cases, DeGuzman's poor positioning and/or lack of effort resulted in Honduran goals. I am not being harsh but simply fair.

I like him alot and he is usually our best player offensively. Perhaps as he has to play more offensively for Canada, he doesn't have the engine to do the defensive work that is required. If that is the case, it makes it all the more important that you play a Bernier, Imoff, Grande, or Nash in front of the defense to allow him more of a free role to go forward.

Archived