The Soccer Show on Fan590 - Sept. 25 edition

VPjr

Very good interview. Nigel Reed really is a class guy. The questions about the womens and mens teams were all very good. I have to say I don't think Vic was as bad with the media as people on here are staying. To be fair he stuck with his position the entire interview. He was honest about the budget of the CSA and didn't deflect any of the difficult questions. Bob Iarusci was completly unprofessional. First for badgering Vic about still having hope, I mean what else is he supposed to say. We are all holding out on the slim amount of hope we have left. I also thought that he was trying to usurp his knowledge over Vic which was really amateur. Overall I thought Vic actually did a good job defending his position and being honest.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

i think bob did a great job. i dont know how dale can even show his face around our players anymore. has he no shame?

I liked the fact that Bob was hard on Vic, I just thought he should have been much more professional.

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

I liked the fact that Bob was hard on Vic, I just thought he should have been much more professional.

Bob's not a professional broadcaster and does not purport to be. Nigel is the professional broadcaster and is very good at what he does, IMO. Part of Nigel's job is to occasionally reign Bob in a bit but Bob is passionate about Canadian soccer and angry about the state of the sport in Canada. Bob's a guy who speaks from the heart, like it or not. I like it...some of you don't (and some of you do).

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Bob's not a professional broadcaster and does not purport to be. Nigel is the professional broadcaster and is very good at what he does, IMO. Part of Nigel's job is to occasionally reign Bob in a bit but Bob is passionate about Canadian soccer and angry about the state of the sport in Canada. Bob's a guy who speaks from the heart, like it or not. I like it...some of you don't (and some of you do).

I really liked what Bob had to say on this program.

db

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

I just finished watching the 2000 Gold Cup final for the first time in years. If the present group of players had half as much heart as those guys we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Let's not kid ourselves here. We get to caught up in the Anglo-Saxon way of “the nice guy who tries hard will always come first”. Not in real life, it doesn’t work that way. Disgraceful people win all the time and so do nice ones, because fundamentally it doesn’t matter whether you’re work horse or a lazy slob as long as you have talent and are effective at what you are trying to accomplish.

Did this team have the talent to qualify (they still could technically) I don’t know, but let’s not talk about this as if effort would propel us all the way to a qualification or somehow serve us better than putting the best we have on the field.

We won the goldcup in 2000 because our coaching was effective stategically and at motivating the players. We definately didn't have that this time around.

Archived