restructuring "FOOTBALL" in canada

tezzavilla

http://ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_557057.html

http://images.ussoccer.com/Documents/cms/ussf/Player%20Development%202007-2014.pdf

http://ussoccer.com/teams/acad/index.jsp.html

take a look at what the u.s. is doing in terms of developing footballers for the future. i believe a similar system in this country would work:

* we could create a major junior football league [MJFL] (similar to the CHL for hockey) and have it regionally based (b.c., the prairies, ontario, quebec/atlantic). the number of teams and divisions within regional leagues to be determined by geography and participation.

* clubs would field 2 teams of under 18 (17-18 years of age) and under 16 (14-16 years of age).

* new national coaching and refereeing standards and training should be put into place, with yearly national coaching and refereeing conferences to be held with the intention of enhancing proper practices and training. links should also be made with various leagues around the world for educational purposes.

* a national statistical registry should be set up similar to the central scouting bureau for hockey.

* links should be made with canadian universities, so players could be fed to the CIS rather than the NCAA.

* mimimum training standards should be put into place for all MJFL clubs with goals similar to those found in the u.s. league. audits should be in place to ensure that standars are met.

* long terms leases for fields should be sought by MJFL clubs so that clubs could play and train in the most optimal conditions.

* players fee's should should be standardized to cover the costs of running clubs and transportation and accomidations should be in place to allow the inclusion of lower income players (keep in mind that this should not be a rich boys sport - some of the best players in the world came from poverty. pele is one example of many).

this is what i have come up with for now. lets use this forum to discuss steps forward rather than dwell on what's wrong.

quote:Originally posted by tezzavilla

* links should be made with canadian universities, so players could be fed to the CIS rather than the NCAA.

I don't know that this would help. CIS plays a very short and odd (two games in one weekend) schedule against limited opposition. You are also not addressing the major reason students choose the NCAA route: $$$$$$. You can get a "free ride" if you are good at an NCAA school. Canadian universities don't have anywhere near the money to hand out in scholarships and bursaries.

This set standard is basically already in place. Super Y League. BC has, what 6 clubs already - and more could join. No reason each province couldn't have it's own Super Y League set-up leading to a national final.

Well, I should clarify. The opportunity to have a set-standard nation-wide is already in place. Now implementing cohesiveness throughout each club needs to be put in.

tezzavilla:

I like the idea of major junior soccer. However, I don't think we need new, standalone teams to be created. In my opinion, we need to designate "superclubs" in every province that will become the regional hub for player development (similar to what the USSF has done with the Player Development Academies). In my view, these "superclubs" would have to field a U18 and U16 team, at minimum, but in time, they would be required to field a U20 or U21 team as well.

We need to stop worrying about equality in Canadian soccer. If a club is willing and able to step up and meet the criteria needed to be a Player Developement Academy, we should recognize them as "the" place to go if you are serious about becoming an elite player.

Ted:

It is my experience that the vast majority of men going to the US on scholarship are not on Full Rides...Soccer coaches would have to rate a player incredibly highly to be willing to hand out a full ride over 4 years. Most players I've spoken to get partial scholarships and then have to apply for a bunch of financial aid to start getting close to a full ride but not all players qualify for aid. I know plenty of guys still paying off $10K-20K student loan burdens after playing baseball, soccer and hockey on scholarship at various US universities.

CIS teams are now starting to hand out limited numbers of bursaries/financial awards (I think $3500 is the max an athlete can get). This is the first step toward having a system that will allow our players to stay home. I do agree that the CIS schedule is a problem and I really don't believe that college/university soccer is the best option for eite player development. Soccer players are best off developing in a pro club / academy environment.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

This set standard is basically already in place. Super Y League. BC has, what 6 clubs already - and more could join. No reason each province couldn't have it's own Super Y League set-up leading to a national final.

Well, I should clarify. The opportunity to have a set-standard nation-wide is already in place. Now implementing cohesiveness throughout each club needs to be put in.

Sounds good, but we have the reality that here in Alberta, the 'oh-so provincial' provincial association has banned Calgary and Edmonton clubs from competing in the Super Y league. Wouldn't want to cut into provincial f*ing all-star competitions, would we?

quote:Originally posted by Richard

^ That is incredible!

I don't think the OSA is overly liberal about sanctioning clubs to participate in Super Y either. I don't know if Lynx have exclusivity in the GTA but I'm not sure other clubs would get a rubber stamp if they wanted into Super Y competition. I Might be wrong there but I think I'm right.

this isnt the place to discuss the problems with organized football in canada. the list is too long to talk about. this forum was intended to be a look forward to the future and see where this country needs to go. to continue from the first thread:

* there should only be ONE body that runs football in this country. all provincial administrations should be merged into a strong centralized governing body.

* moves should be made to expand profesional football throughout canada. that means looking for ownwership groups to apply for teams in the USL (and perhaps even the MLS - fat chance on that one though. the yanks dont like us enough to allow it. the MLS was started to improve the u.s national team afterall!. in doing so, the CSL should be expanded coast to coast, and act as a division 3 league in north america.

let us use this opportunity to begin a grassroots campaign to begin the process of moving football forward in this country.

* there should only be ONE body that runs football in this country. all provincial administrations should be merged into a strong centralized governing body.

i agree....

CSA can have regional offices in each province (maybe more than 1 office per province if necessary) but there is too much bureaucracy that is choking the sport. Just because we've always had provincial associations doesn't mean we must continue to do so forever and ever.

* moves should be made to expand profesional football throughout canada. that means looking for ownwership groups to apply for teams in the USL (and perhaps even the MLS - fat chance on that one though. the yanks dont like us enough to allow it. the MLS was started to improve the u.s national team afterall!. in doing so, the CSL should be expanded coast to coast, and act as a division 3 league in north america.

It is my stated opinion that MLS is not the best choice for Canadian soccer. We need our own solutions. If 4 billionaires (and billion dollar corporations) are willing to inves t $30-$50 million for an MLS side, why don't they all just put a bunch of money into a pot (lets say each contribute $10 million) to start a Canadian league. In the early stages, maybe the 4 owners each own 2 teams so we instantly have an 8 team league. Run it just like MLS if you want to (single entity), have restrictive salary caps, get all the cost certainty you could ever hope for, but give Canada a Canadian league.

The short term profits might not be existant but nor will you be dishing out $30-50 million up front.

The travel cost argument is moot in my opinion. If Canadian clubs are willing to jet all over North American to play in MLS cities, why is it so onerous to travel throughout Canada.

I have other thoughts on the matter but I'll end it there as I must get home.

People might think I'm nuts but I'm not so sure. I just think that these mega rich types don't like to be involved with something so "little" as a Canadian league. They want hype...not what is good for the sport.

I disagree VPJR - Kerfoot certainly wants what is good for the sport. I imagine he'd buy into a Canadian League - good luck selling MLSE on that though! Saputo, I have no clue if he'd also buy in.

But that's 3 big money men, and only 2 possibly maybe would buy in. Where are the other interested billionaires in Canada to do this? The other billionaire Canadian soccer supporters are invested in Europe.

If 1 in 1000 in Canada care about our national team. How many in Canada actually care about country having it's own league. 1 in 5000?

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

I disagree VPJR - Kerfoot certainly wants what is good for the sport. I imagine he'd buy into a Canadian League - good luck selling MLSE on that though! Saputo, I have no clue if he'd also buy in.

But that's 3 big money men, and only 2 possibly maybe would buy in. Where are the other interested billionaires in Canada to do this? The other billionaire Canadian soccer supporters are invested in Europe.

If 1 in 1000 in Canada care about our national team. How many in Canada actually care about country having it's own league. 1 in 5000?

^ As one of those 1 in 1000, don't count me as caring about Canada having its own league. US/Canadian leagues are the norm for me. The CFL is a happy anomaly, but Cdn leagues have failed too many times for my liking.

^ Cdn leagues have never had billionaire owners/corporations footing the bill, people who can afford a long term view, who can invest for the future. Just because something has failed in the past doesn't mean it won't succeed in the future, if structured properly and having learned lessons from the past and present. I don't know how many stories I've read over the years of people who failed in business a bunch of times before finally succeeding. Canadian soccer and Canadian soccer fans (more importantly) has grown in numbers and sophistication. They are exposed to much more soccer than they've ever been and I think that this is a positive rather than a negative. If Canadian fans look at MLS and say "I can live with this", I would suggest that they would be able to live just as well watching a Canadian league week in week out.

As for US/Canadian leagues being the norm, I don't disagree with that but I know I personally cared a hell of a lot more when TFC played Vancouver or Montreal than I do for any of the US competitors that the team faces on a week to week basis. I'll support my club no matter who they play but I'd prefer to be playing Canadian clubs and having rivalries with Canadian fans.

My argument as it relates to a national professional league for Canada always comes down to my sincere belief that we need a Canadian solution for our problems. I truly do not believe that MLS will provide the framework for Canadian MLS clubs to work to address the deep seated issues we have in terms of developing elite soccer players

Again, I don't expect many to agree with me but that's life.

Continuing to push for an independent Canadian league at this point is a bit like closing the barn door after the horse has bolted I'm afraid.

Besides, if a Canadian league made any business sense, those who have invested so heavily in USL and MLS would have gone with your Canadian option long ago, there certainly have been enough proposals mooted. But they didn't and that speaks volumes.

I agree with the idea of an all Canadian league as VPjr suggests. This whole qualifying run I have kept thinking - man if we only had our own league. The reality unfortunately is that it will never fly. Canadian sports fans measure their worth (and the teams) by inclusion into the big American leagues.

"If my town isn't playing in the (place American league here), then I'm not watching".

That is why I'm against Toronto ever getting an NFL team. If they got a team it would absolutely kill the CFL. The CFL will become a minor league. (Before you jump all over me – I know the talent is not the same as the NFL but at this point the fans don’t treat the league as Tier 2).

With the precedent of an MLS team in Canada (and more to come) Joe "sports fan public" now believes the MLS is the be all to end all for soccer in North America. It's the attitude we've all be raised with all our lives. Anything less will be considered amateurish and will only be minimally supported. I don’t care what kind of money is thrown at it. MLS is here – anything else will be second rate to potential fans.

It’s a catch 22 that I don’t ever see changing. TFC has done more for Canadian soccer than I think the old NASL as far as drawing new fans. Their inclusion into the MLS, however, also means we’ll never have a hugely successful Canadian league.

I wish it were otherwise.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Continuing to push for an independent Canadian league at this point is a bit like closing the barn door after the horse has bolted I'm afraid.

Besides, if a Canadian league made any business sense, those who have invested so heavily in USL and MLS would have gone with your Canadian option long ago, there certainly have been enough proposals mooted. But they didn't and that speaks volumes.

Richard, The last serious proposal was made 7 years ago. You would have to agree that the landscape has changed some in 7 years. I really think the big issue holding back these wealthy investors is that they don't want to do a "ground-floor" venture, because its hard. These guys would prefer to take the easier route and get involved with a going concern rather than start something from scratch. As someone who has started a business from scratch, I don't blame them...its hard. I'm being idealistic, no doubt, to think that these guys would do the right thing for Canadian soccer and try to launch our own domestic league but its still an idea that needs to be kept alive, especially if MLS doesn't accept all the Canadian teams that are applying for a franchise.

I know that the only hope I have of ever seeing my vision have a chance is if the USSF taps Garber on the shoulder and reminds him that MLS is supposed to be a US domestic league. I don't see it happening because frankly, I think he doesn't have all that many truly attractive alternatives left to exhaust.

Atlanta? Portland? St. Louis? Miami? Las vegas? MLS succeeding in any of those markets (except maybe Portland) is a longshot. The league is barely succeeding in many of its existing markets (KC, Columbus, Chivas, Colorado, NE).

Unlike some people, I don't think Canadians are that obsessed by what the Americans think of us. I know I could care less, unless I'm selling them something.

quote:Originally posted by superbrad

I agree with the idea of an all Canadian league as VPjr suggests. This whole qualifying run I have kept thinking - man if we only had our own league. The reality unfortunately is that it will never fly. Canadian sports fans measure their worth (and the teams) by inclusion into the big American leagues.

"If my town isn't playing in the (place American league here), then I'm not watching".

That is why I'm against Toronto ever getting an NFL team. If they got a team it would absolutely kill the CFL. The CFL will become a minor league. (Before you jump all over me – I know the talent is not the same as the NFL but at this point the fans don’t treat the league as Tier 2).

With the precedent of an MLS team in Canada (and more to come) Joe "sports fan public" now believes the MLS is the be all to end all for soccer in North America. It's the attitude we've all be raised with all our lives. Anything less will be considered amateurish and will only be minimally supported. I don’t care what kind of money is thrown at it. MLS is here – anything else will be second rate to potential fans.

It’s a catch 22 that I don’t ever see changing. TFC has done more for Canadian soccer than I think the old NASL as far as drawing new fans. Their inclusion into the MLS, however, also means we’ll never have a hugely successful Canadian league.

I wish it were otherwise.

I disagree and I'm with VPjr on this, the inferiority complex by Canadian soccer fans in this forum it's unbelievable. No wonder we're second best to the americans in every sport and don't give me the huge population they have or the millions they pore into sports argument, because we're also a rich country, we also have a big population, 35 million people is not a small number to chose soccer players from. Countries with a much smaller population and surrounded by football super powers, came out rebellious and fighting back with pride against them in WCQ games, WCT and all kinds of internationally renowned competitions.

Some of these countries are:

Holland (FIFA rank 4) with a population 16.5 million and bordering with Germany

Scotland (FIFA rank 16) with a population 5.5 million and bordering with England

Uruguay (FIFA rank 22) with a population 3.4 million and bordering with Brazil and Argentina

Northern Ireland (FIFA rank 32) with a population 1.7 million and Republic of Ireland (FIFA rank 38) with a population 3.8 million and the list goes on.

These countries didn't care about how big and populated and how much money their neighbors have, these countries wanted to have a recognized football identity and they fought for it on the field, every game they faced the mighty neighbors. Some how they organize them selves, their national youth programs and their MNT programs, they all have their own national leagues and they all compete at the highest level in the world and they're all placed in the top 40 in the FIFA ranking.

So I don't see why we can't get our own Canadian Professional League going and create our own identity in the world of football. But to be able to do that, many of the so called "Canadian soccer fans and soccer enthusiasts" have to get rid of the inferiority complex towards the americans and believe that anything they can do in what soccer is concern, we can do better, but we have to start NOW.

^I love the idea too. So have many before when attempts have failed. I don't think anyone on this forum has an "inferiority" complex when it comes to our southern neighbours. You missed the point - it won't be supported because its "not the MLS". Yes everyone here will support it - but the guy who is a 'potential' soccer fan won't.

Archived