G'beke traded to the Whitecaps

Alberto7

According to the article they didn't even take him on the road trip out west. I think the current group of strikers are superior to him. Gbeke scores goals but he needs far too many chances to do so because he is a poor finisher. He has great speed and strength but is very lacking in technique and understanding of the game. Every defensive corner he is a penalty in waiting as he grabs an opposing player and wraps his arms around him well before the ball has been kicked. Basically a guy with great natural ability who never learned to play the game properly. Still if you are a team that is having trouble scoring like the Caps are he is probably a good acquisition. I don't think it is a coincidence that the Impact waited until after our Cup games with Vancouver to trade him. Hopefully we got someone decent in return.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Gbeke spent the weekend terrorizing TFC's Academy team while playing for Trois Rivieres Attak. Scored a couple goals in 4-0 and 3-0 wins for TR.

Textbook example of boys vs men (man? beast?).

This trade makes me realize how limited choices are for pro players in Canada. Where could he have gone apart from a USL team? Forget MLS or overseas(he's already had some short stints in France, Brazil and Denmark). Basically it was hope that another USL team picked him up or play in the CSL for next to no money.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Gbeke will provide the aerial threat the Whitecaps have missed.

Sure, if he actually suits up. Last time he was traded to Vancouver (2003), he either failed to report or refused to play.

In his previous stint in Vancouver (2001) he only played three games. He then went to Seattle and played once.

Not sure I'm exactly thrilled about this acquisition.

It is true that he will give you an aerial threat. He will also drive you crazy with the amount of chances, often open nets, that he misses but to be fair he often creates these chances himself with his extreme speed. He also makes the opposing defenders play deeper and more conservative because of this. For all his numerous flaws as a player he does score at a decent rate which is his primary role as a striker. Yet if he goes into a period where he isn't scoring he is absolutely useless on the field.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

It is true that he will give you an aerial threat. He will also drive you crazy with the amount of chances, often open nets, that he misses but to be fair he often creates these chances himself with his extreme speed. He also makes the opposing defenders play deeper and more conservative because of this. For all his numerous flaws as a player he does score at a decent rate which is his primary role as a striker. Yet if he goes into a period where he isn't scoring he is absolutely useless on the field.

He does wave his arms to get the crowd into it a lot though [:P]

for what it's worth: http://www.rds.ca/impact/chroniques/254766.html

I think if Charles accepts to report to Vancouver, and if he is paired with Sebrango, this could turn out to be an excellent acquisition for the Caps. Sebrango is excellent in conserving the ball (back to the net), which should free up space for both players. Gbeke is a streak scorer, and is extremely strong on and off the ball, he's also deadly in the air.

Gbeke was extremely popular with the fans, and very implicated within Quebec's soccer community. He also is a very close friend of Montreal Canadiens forward Alex Kovalev. The trade surprises me, but then again if wasn't getting playing time here, I wish him all the best with Vancouver.

Whats Donatelli like?

In the Montreal site, DeSantis talked about freeing up some room to "hire" another forward.

Donatelling is a quality player, who needs to play in central midfield. He's an attacking midfielder...in the mold of Testo.

He was a key to the Whitecaps championship. His family is from Penn State, and they are thrilled to be able to drive up and see him play more often.

quote:Originally posted by Keano

I know San Jose is rumored to have interest in Gerba, but what if this move by the Impact had something to do with Ali G's availability.... we can dream right??? ;)Just in time for the away CL match at BMO

That would be sweat but the only way I can see it happening is if the Impact were already signed to MLS. If they are still a year or two away then I can't see Ali playing in USL for that long. He is easily an MLS level player. If SJ don't take him I'm sure some other MLS team will.

We have enough midfielders to field three teams already and we go acquire another one.

If they moved Gbeke to bring Gerba in, who's gonna pay? Brown or Jefferson?

The two are doing great these days.

I don't understand my club. I just don't.

We've had our left back (who won trophies for the past two seasons, including the Impact's top defensive player award last season) who retired and we have yet to replace him. But we've gone mad acquiring more midfielders and strikers than we can use.

I don't get it.

quote:Originally posted by rick titus

charles is quality it is a bad trade methinks! Donatelli is dime a dozen, Gbeke is dynamic period. Bad trade...

Seems like Montreal was trying to dump some salery (Gbeke wasn't playing) + They received some Financial compensation in return. Donatelli seems to be a throw in.

I wonder what the amount of compensation was? $25k, $50K maybe $100k?

quote:Originally posted by rick titus

charles is quality it is a bad trade methinks! Donatelli is dime a dozen, Gbeke is dynamic period. Bad trade...

Dime a dozen is a bit unfair Rick. He was key in the Whitecaps championship, and his role this season was not well suited. He didn't even want to report to Vancouver, but the club wanted him to play out the option. So Tony got his wish, the Whitecaps addressed some presence up front...and some of the cash from Adrian Cann's transfer went to Montreal for Charles.

I thought he looked good in his short stint against Toronto. Hopefully he can stay on-side better than Addlery.

Archived