Can vs Arg - For all 6 of us who were there.

Guest speedmonk42

Guest speedmonk42

Hmmmm.

That was one chicken shlt referee. Perhaps he was angry because he had to wear that horrible yellow top.

I think there were more people at my game on Friday at BMO.

Final attendance 5100ish.

Guest speedmonk42

Street, the goalie in the first half, was very good. Looking forward to seeing him play in the future.

Gala definitely stood out.

Perhaps someone who saw the starting line up can fill in the blanks on the others.

Guest speedmonk42

It was a very physical game, but not from us.

The Argies were knocking us around pretty good.

The ref really let a lot of stuff go, and not at all in our favor.

92 Minute, at least from the south end looked like a pretty damn clear penalty to me.

The Argies got off some very good shots. I think we took about... 3 or 4 shots the whole game.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Pretty good result for us though.

Yeah, I think they played well.

They closed down the Argies very well, and on occasion broke out quickly on good counters that caught the Argies by suprise. It's the final 3rd where we lose it...

We showed some excellent ball control on taking down difficult balls. That I really liked.

Whos got shirt numbers for todays game?

10 was phenominal, one to watch for sure...

5 was by far the best defender...

14 was decent on the wing...

I hope Street is our goaltender of the future, awesome...

Our guys played well, just have to be a little more aggresive moving forward...

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

We showed some excellent ball control on taking down difficult balls. That I really liked.

Got to like the fact that they kept their cool in tight quarters, these guys think the game well. Too bad it was friging freezing, I was hoping for a nice day...

What number did Paris wear today?

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

Final attendance 5100ish.

I think we've become a bit spoiled here in Toronto to the point that we expect 20,000 for any soccer game played at BMO, regardless of the teams.

In any country in the world, 5100 people showing up for a U20 friendly match with almost no promotion (on a rainy Mother's Day, no less) would be an excellent turnout.

The most pleasing thing about the game is that I think Canada got stronger as the game went on. We largley outplayed them in the last 10 minutes, and yes, could have easily been awarded a penalty in injury time.

Also, the Canadian goal, by Shaun Saiko "Killer" was nice in that it came from our own creative play, , and as a direct F.U. response to the Argentinian goal, marching down the field and sticking it in the back of the net. Gabe Gala, who had our second best chance of the game in the 2nd half with a nice strike from the centre that the Argentina keeper made a diving save on, gave Argentina fits all day down the left side and I thought our two fullbacks were pretty good, as were Haber & Attakora-Gyan in the middle.

Adam Street made two great saves in the first half, one of which was world class tip of a shot over the bar. A lot of us in the south end thought he might have had the Argentina goal had he been kept in the game. With him & Begovic coming through the ranks in a few years time we are going to be set in goal for quite awhile. As for Miscewicz, he has promise though needs to work on his distribution out of the back.

Only downside to the game I'd say is that I didn't see too much from our lone strikers. Not sure that either are suited to a 4-5-1, Haber may have had more luck as a target man but he was playing defense. Our defense was pretty solid & our midfield fairly comfortable.

During the game there was constant promotion of the Brazil vs. Wisla U20 game. Which makes me wonder why MLSE (who are demanding 6 national team games a year at BMO) couldn't have promoted this game during all the sold-out TFC games that have been played. It wasn't mentioned once, and I still don't understand why not - where they worried that more tickets would be sold if they did that? Also, no line-up sheets handed out by the CSA or the promoters, so we didn't know who was who unless we recognized them by sight (I don't know when they announced the starting line-ups, but it wasn't while I was there a good 5 minutes before the game started). I think I recognized Paris Nakajima-Farran (based on similarity in looks to his brother) as the #12 playing right back and shouted "Hey are you Paris?" at him when he was down in our end, and we think we got a confirmation from him.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I think we've become a bit spoiled here in Toronto to the point that we expect 20,000 for any soccer game played at BMO, regardless of the teams.

In any country in the world, 5100 people showing up for a U20 friendly match with almost no promotion (on a rainy Mother's Day, no less) would be an excellent turnout.

I agree. I wasn't complaining.

Mothers day really took a bite out of attendance.

Guest speedmonk42

Gian-Luca...

I was wondering the same thing when I arrived at the stadium. I realized I had not heard or seen a thing about it at the last TFC game.

quote:Originally posted by BattalionFC

Whos got shirt numbers for todays game?

10 was phenominal, one to watch for sure...

5 was by far the best defender...

14 was decent on the wing...

I hope Street is our goaltender of the future, awesome...

Our guys played well, just have to be a little more aggresive moving forward...

As far as I could tell:

#10 was definitely Gabe Gala

#5 was Nana Attakora-Gyan

#4 (beside Nana) was Marcus Haber

#9 (lone striker) was Jarek Whiteman

#14 (second half sub) was Vlad "the Impaler" Vukovic

#13 coming on to start the second half was Joey Melo

#11 was Derek Gaudet (taken off at the half)

#7 was Sean Rose of FC Metz (taken off at the half)

#17 was Pereirra (can't remember his first name)

First half keeper was Adam Street, 2nd half Miscewicz

I think #12 was Paris Nakajima-Farran, see my previous post for my best guess.

Not sure who was #8, the other central midfielder, or #3 the good left back.

N

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

That's true Rudi but there is no way in the world BMO was 1/4 full. I've been saying 2500. Why they scheduled it on Mother's Day is anybody's guess.

db

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

That's true Rudi but there is no way in the world BMO was 1/4 full. I've been saying 2500. Why they scheduled it on Mother's Day is anybody's guess.

db

But you have to laugh, with only one concession stand open, it was just as hard to get something!

LOL!

The Beer Prison Camp kind of sucked.

Game report from the CP:

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/424341

In terms of the attendance, keep in mind that they reported a ticket sales of 5000 a couple of days ago. Perhaps some of them didn't show up being put off by the possibility of rain (which did happen literally as the whistle blew to end the game).

Play this game one day earlier and we probably double the size of the attendance. But c'est la vie.

Good result but not the most exiting game to be honnest. And when we scored I was actually beer garden right at the rail and got great view. There were some good tackles out there from our guys and it seems that, all things considered, we did didn't allow Argentina all that many great scoring chances. But compared to the last time we played them, I thought that Argentina had a considerably greater edge in play this time. For example, most of the first half play was on the canadian side of the pitch.

Adam street played very well and was called on to make some good stops. There were fewer gaffs than in 2007 but at the same time, I thought that Canada played them much more evenly in 2007 in terms of trading scoring chances and overall ball possession. So what I take out of all this is that this squad might actually be better defensively than the 2007 team but the jury is still out as far as offense since I did not see sustained possession and pressure on the offensive end. We attacked in spurts and got a few opportunities that way.

But the buildup and sustained possession was lacking. I think that the reason for this was, not so much the individual skill, but rather the play off the ball. I saw a few too many unnecessary long balls out on the wings when a sustained build up would have been preferable. Maybe this is by design because the goal in 2007 and today was created off of similar circumstances, a high cross from a run down the wings. in 2007 it resulted in a foul that lead to the goal and today Saiko was able to get on it. As a former poster on this board, who knew a thing or two SA soccer, used to say that South Americans don't like balls in the air. we are seeing evidence of this.

Summary of pluses

- good tackles, ball winning and scrappiness

- Solid defending with no noticeable gaffs

- Solid goal keeping

Summary of negative.

- no sustained pressure or possession.

- poor runs or movement off the ball or good team play when attacking

- No variety in attacking. Too many long balls and ball movement was too slow.

Good result but not the most exiting game to be honnest. And when we scored I was actually beer garden right at the rail and got great view. There were some good tackles out there from our guys and it seems that, all things considered, we did didn't allow Argentina all that many great scoring chances. But compared to the last time we played them, I thought that Argentina had a considerably greater edge in play this time. For example, most of the first half play was on the canadian side of the pitch.

Adam street played very well and was called on to make some good stops. There were fewer gaffs than in 2007 but at the same time, I thought that Canada played them much more evenly in 2007 in terms of trading scoring chances and overall ball possession. So what I take out of all this is that this squad might actually be better defensively than the 2007 team but the jury is still out as far as offense since I did not see sustained possession and pressure on the offensive end. We attacked in spurts and got a few opportunities that way.

But the buildup and sustained possession was lacking. I think that the reason for this was, not so much the individual skill, but rather the play off the ball. I saw a few too many unnecessary long balls out on the wings when a sustained build up would have been preferable. Maybe this is by design because the goal in 2007 and today was created off of similar circumstances, a high cross from a run down the wings. in 2007 it resulted in a foul that lead to the goal and today Saiko was able to get on it. As a former poster on this board, who knew a thing or two SA soccer, used to say that South Americans don't like balls in the air. we are seeing evidence of this.

Summary of pluses

- good tackles, ball winning and scrappiness

- Solid defending with no noticeable gaffs

- Solid goal keeping

Summary of negative.

- no sustained pressure or possession.

- poor runs or movement off the ball or good team play when attacking

- No variety in attacking. Too many long balls and ball movement was too slow.

Great game for the boys...I was very impressed with our young talent...the future is looking bright....Gala was impressive, along with Paris and Gyan......Argentina had some creative players and Canada did a great job to keep them locked down....could have been a 1-0 game for the boys....a little disorganized on the opening goal by Argentina.....Gala & Melo seemed a little lost on setting up the wall......and in the end kept moving.....it was a quick kick though and I think caught our boys off guard...I was sitting first row behind the net and they definitely didn't seem ready....

Great game for the boys...I was very impressed with our young talent...the future is looking bright....Gala was impressive, along with Paris and Gyan......Argentina had some creative players and Canada did a great job to keep them locked down....could have been a 1-0 game for the boys....a little disorganized on the opening goal by Argentina.....Gala & Melo seemed a little lost on setting up the wall......and in the end kept moving.....it was a quick kick though and I think caught our boys off guard...I was sitting first row behind the net and they definitely didn't seem ready....

Had to work all day. And I can even see the BMO stands from the office. Torturous with this match and the EPL.

1-1 against Argentina in any FIFA sanctioned play is a respetable result. Obviously may not be their A-Team but with their domestic depth they are all pumped for these opportunities.

So who would you all say will be the first to contribute to the Men's A-Team? Any time soon?

Archived