Canada's best fall short of world's elite

Eric

Coaches aren't allowed to vote for their own players. If someone voted for DeRo or De Guzman it would be completely undeserved. Finally we shouldn't judge our team on how many FIFA world player of the year nominees we have.

Originally posted by Rudi

I'm pretty sure coaches are not allowed to vote for their own players.

Im sure you are not allowed to vote for you own players. I just looked up on the FIFA site. I couldnt spot one country who voted for

there own player. I maybe wrong though

Seriously, I see our players through the rosiest colour glasses of anyone and I'm not going to suggest that one of them is one of the 3 best in the world. Voting for his own player in a feel good move would've made a mockery of the whole vote and a mockery of Canadian soccer.

Wow, this has got me so wound up I'm defending Mitchell.

The list of players that one could vote for was limited. From those two limited lists (men & women), players were chosen by both the head coach and player captain (again, men's and women's) from each nation. Here is the FIFA article:

"The countdown to the FIFA World Player Gala 2007 is officially underway after the shortlist of players vying to lift the coveted award at the 17 December's ceremony in Zurich was announced. Twenty-six women and thirty men are in the running for world football's biggest individual prize, awarded to Brazilian genius Marta and Italy's inspirational Fabio Cannavaro at last year's event.

The lists were compiled by various groups of FIFA experts and will now be sent to each of the world governing body's member associations. Once there, the coaches and captains of each country's men's and women's national side will vote for their top three candidates, not including players from their own nation."

Archived