TFC vs. Benfica (R)

Gian-Luca

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Might as well create the game thread. Put the r in the title even though I don't think anyone is showing this game.

The Toronto Star had this preview article by Morgan Campbell which suggests we will get a lot of Canadian content at tonight's game (though Pozniak appears to be injured again as well as Reda):

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/216662

Ya, Poz walked by me in the stands during Saturday's reserve match. Too bad he's hurt. He looked good in his 20 minutes against Chicago (was it?).

db

We must have been sitting near each other for that reserve game Dave, as Poz walked by and sat just about in front of me with, I assume, his parents. He looked OK - (ie - didn't seem to be limping.)

Interesting to see some young kids go up to him and ask him to sign their shirts. The look on their faces after he signed was priceless.

Starting lineups. I'm not sure why, but a bunch of TFC players are listed only by their last name. 6 Canadians (Sutton, Reda, Brennan, Pozniak, Canizales, and Lombardo) are listed as starting. No Braz, though, which is strange. Perhaps mlsnet.com has confused some players, since both Reda and Poz are supposed to be injured.

Benfica

Starting Lineup

* 1 - Jose Moreira (GK)

* 2 - Pedro Correia

* 3 - Anderson

* 10 - Rui Costa

* 11 - Miguelito

* 15 - Paulo Jorge

* 16 - Beto

* 18 - Manu

* 22 - Nelson Ramos

* 23 - David Luiz

* 30 - Fabrizio Miccoli

Substitutes

* 31 - Moretto (GK)

* 17 - Miguel Vitor

* 19 - Leocisio Sami

* 34 - Romeu Ribeiro

* 35 - Miguel Rosa

Toronto FC

Starting Lineup

* 1 - Greg Sutton (GK)

* 4 - Marco Reda

* 5 - Ronnie O'Brien

* 6 - Maurice Edu

* 8 - Kevin Goldthwaite

* 11 - Jim Brennan

* 12 - Edson Buddle

* 13 - Chris Pozniak

* 16 - Marvell Wynne

* 20 - Lombardo

* 23 - Maycoll Canizalez

Substitutes

* 18 - Djkanovic (GK)

* 2 - Andrew Boyens

* 7 - Welsh

* 9 - Dichio

* 14 - Joey Melo

* 15 - David Gozman

* 26 - Nunez

* 28 - Steven Lumley

In terms of the Canadians, Canizalez & Lombardo were subbed out at the half, Braz was subbed on. About 15 minutes into the 2nd half Sutton was subbed out after making a great save off Miccoli & Djekanovic made his first team debut. Serge looked comfortable and made one good save, the only one he was called upon to make. Then as the 2nd half wore on, Cristian Nunez, Joey Melo & David Guzman came on in midfield. Reda was subbed out with what looked like an injury of sorts mid-way through the 2nd. Didn't look serious.

Brennan & Pozniak played the whole game. Pozniak ended up playing 4 (!) different positions during the game. Central mid, then he switched positions with O'Brien at right mid, started the 2nd half at left mid and then replaced Reda at the back when Marco got injured. Talk about versatility!

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

In terms of the Canadians, Canizalez & Lombardo were subbed out at the half, Braz was subbed on. About 15 minutes into the 2nd half Sutton was subbed out after making a great save off Miccoli & Djekanovic made his first team debut. Serge looked comfortable and made one good save, the only one he was called upon to make. Then as the 2nd half wore on, Cristian Nunez, Joey Melo & David Guzman came on in midfield. Reda was subbed out with what looked like an injury of sorts mid-way through the 2nd. Didn't look serious.

Brennan & Pozniak played the whole game. Pozniak ended up playing 4 (!) different positions during the game. Central mid, then he switched positions with O'Brien at right mid, started the 2nd half at left mid and then replaced Reda at the back when Marco got injured. Talk about versatility!

..... and he did it well!

db

A good show all in all. Though the game did get boring as it drew near the end when it looked like many of the players were going through the motions. But overall, there was enough to entertain throughout the match. The individual talent was very obvious on the portuguese side on many occasions. But, in regards to team performances, the differemces were less obvious. This was likely due due to travel, fatigue, home side advantage, time of the year, etc.. Overall, Benfica showed more comfort with the ball and that shouldn't surprise anyone. But TFC could have actually won the match, a missed called by the ref on a foul in the box on Dichio ( who was fouled going up to meet a cross) could have decided it in favour of the home side. As far as touches, buildup, variety and ball distribution, it was no contest, Benfica showed more imagination and refinement. It is in a game like this that we realize how "direct" and one dimensional TO's style is but you also get to see the benefits of that syle. Furthermore, the TFC keepers were not necessarily all that busy nor was the back line under any greater pressure than what they have typically seen.

All the stand looked full and that surprised me given the glut of sellers that I had observed in the classifieds. perhaps, this was the public telling MLSEL that $110 for the cheap seats was a riduculous price for this kind of event. Still, For me a worthwhile outing. What i will remember most from this game is the " Constrasts" on display. You wont see that in your typical MLS game.

I give up in trying to figure out how they count attendance nowadays. The papers listed the attendance at just under 19K and hence the smallest of the year. From my vantage, there was no room in the grandstands last night. Whereas the Houston game, there many empty seats.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I give up in trying to figure out how they count attendance nowadays. The papers listed the attendance at just under 19K and hence the smallest of the year. From my vantage, there was no room in the grandstands last night. Whereas the Houston game, there many empty seats.

Really? I noticed a lot of empty seats at the top centre stands in both the east and west.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Really? I noticed a lot of empty seats at the top centre stands in both the east and west.

Did you find that there were more empty seats at this game or the Houston game? To me it looked like the Houston game.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Did you find that there were more empty seats at this game or the Houston game? To me it looked like the Houston game.

I saw a couple of big wedges of empty seats which were obviously unsold along with a good sprinkling of seats that probably were sold but unfilled.

IMO, I think there were at least 2k less at Benfica than at Houston.

db

Archived