Drums vs Singing

Guest speedmonk42

Guest speedmonk42

In another thread, someone posted that they didn't want any drums, not sure who it was.

I love drums, but I now understand exactly what they are talking about.

The voices were powerful, and everyone in the supporters section deserve many many beers.

People want to join in, it was contagious but the drums really did get in the way.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Juby

We should try and get some native drumming up in it too, were Canadians afterall.

Uh...I was saying the drums interfered with the stellar efforts of the supporters.

I was on end of the main grandstands towards the supporters end. The drums were like a barrier between the endzone and the main stands, as they were on the corner between the two.

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

Uh...I was saying the drums interfered with the stellar efforts of the supporters.

I was on end of the main grandstands towards the supporters end. The drums were like a barrier between the endzone and the main stands, as they were on the corner between the two.

There was some kind of Rhythm section in 118 I think, I believe those are the guys you are talking about....we didnt hear them in 113. The drummers in 112 and 113 (Red Patch Boys and Usector respectively) used their drums to set the pace for songs. It wasn't intrusive at all, at least in 112 and 113.

Maybey I should get my drumset out and really make it happen,being a former jazz drummer.Played in a band for about 10 years and still do on occasion,never mind I just really dont like these drums at a soccer game unless the person has some rhytmn and taste as well.It can be very irritating it seems when the person really has no idea how to play a drum and just bangs away.

Yes I did play with Oscar Peterson many many moons ago.So I know a little about that stuff as well.

Have any of you reach the plateau of even talking to him never mind playing with the greatest ever jazz pianist in the world. None of you even get close,so eat your little hearts out again.

This nothing little lm says he would live longer, hey dummy he is still alive and it is a shame that you know nothing about the greatest man I have ever played with and also being a Canadian with all the honours he has been bestowed,yes I know him,do you?

Personally? No. Because I've never been involved in his music scene, and never gone out of my way to meet him. Sorry to spoil your party, john.

But I have met Prime Ministers, actors, professional footballers (yes, soccer-shock, horror!), TV broadcasters, singers, and others of note in my life. I just don't feel the need to yack about it here.

/threadjack.

We return you to your regularly scheduled thread. Apologies for the interruption.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Soccer would have made him live longer.

He's not dead. He's suffering from the after effects of that massive stroke he had a number of years ago plus he's just getting old. A friend of mine saw him at an event recently and he was being wheeled around in a wheelchair and didn't look too good.

Sad. He is a legend.

db

Guest speedmonk42

Ok I was not very clear in what I wrote.

Drums in section 118 when they were playing full volume drowned out 113 and 112 for people in the main stands, I would much rather here the singing.

The singing the in the supporters section was infectious, and it will spread. The drums were overpowering (not the drums that were part of the singing)

Those guys did such an amazing job (the supporters section)

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

Ok I was not very clear in what I wrote.

Drums in section 118 when they were playing full volume drowned out 113 and 112 for people in the main stands, I would much rather here the singing.

The singing the in the supporters section was infectious, and it will spread. The drums were overpowering (not the drums that were part of the singing)

Those guys did such an amazing job (the supporters section)

The 118 drummers are these guys. Maybe you should let them know your concerns, perhaps they arent aware of how they are affecting fans around them

http://www.tribalrhythmnation.com/index.php

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

The 118 drummers are these guys. Maybe you should let them know your concerns, perhaps they arent aware of how they are affecting fans around them

http://www.tribalrhythmnation.com/index.php

That is funny.

Good on them for getting out creating something and supporting the team.

But I would substitute muli-cultural with limited-cultural, it might be more accurate. No organization that claims to represent a limited group of people could legitimately call itself multicultural. Now that organization may participate in multi-cultural events, but it doesn't make it a multi cultural group.

I think they would do better being a supporters group with a theme rather than claim to be representing a certain group of people. The groups they claim to represent have so little in common it is almost comedic.

Not sure why I feel like being a wanker and splitting hairs over this.

I hope they succeed, get people out and have a good time.

There may be some cultural division here in that several groups are trying to create the atmosphere they associate with soccer. The drumming is something one would see in latin, Carribean and African countries and is their idea of soccer atmosphere while the Europeans prefer singing. Maybe it would be a good idea for the supporter groups to meet and find some sort of compromise, ie. the drummers also learn to sing the songs and only drum at certain points during the game not for the whole 90 minutes.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

There may be some cultural division here in that several groups are trying to create the atmosphere they associate with soccer. The drumming is something one would see in latin, Carribean and African countries and is their idea of soccer atmosphere while the Europeans prefer singing. Maybe it would be a good idea for the supporter groups to meet and find some sort of compromise, ie. the drummers also learn to sing the songs and only drum at certain points during the game not for the whole 90 minutes.

I love drums actually, but I think they may impede the ability of the ultras to get the rest of the stadium singing, which I am sure they will some day do.

What you are saying is what I suggested as a 'theme'. A rhythm section rather than one based on race and culture. I would join that in a second.

Since they specifically state the 'kind' of people they represent, I can't say I am all that inclined.

Working something out as you suggest where by they assault the whole stadium with a massive sonic drum attack at certain times led by potentially hundreds of people with drums would be freakin glorious.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

That was a good definition of cultural compromise. Have the guys associated with Latin, Caribbean and African support learn to sing the "white guys" songs and not drum so much. No mention of how the singers might contribute to this idea of compromise, unless I missed it. Clever.

I find it rather hilarious that one supporter group is worried that another might drown them out, and would even go so far as to try to get them to shut up at times. Isn't that sort of childish? Or if not childish, sort of exactly the opposite principle that these groups claim to be preaching?

But what really matter now is that Jason Kidd has been held scoreless for the entire first half. Go Raptors!

I am totally blown away and not trying to take the drums out of this discussion but if we were to accept the challenge of Canada's largest and most influential newspaper about that song, we may drown out the drums. Can anybody explain why really no one has responded or gotten excited about that challence. I am totally I mean totally flabbergasted.It seems I am the only one that supports songs and not chants. Gentlemen soccer is a right brain sport,chants won't do singing does. I really expect this to be discussed and suggestions or recommendations made.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

I am totally blown away and not trying to take the drums out of this discussion but if we were to accept the challenge of Canada's largest and most influential newspaper about that song, we may drown out the drums. Can anybody explain why really no one has responded or gotten excited about that challence. I am totally I mean totally flabbergasted.It seems I am the only one that supports songs and not chants. Gentlemen soccer is a right brain sport,chants won't do singing does. I really expect this to be discussed and suggestions or recommendations made.

Do you mean the Toronto Star, the paper than you have insulted and ridiculed time upon time here on these forums? Or do you now deny ever doing so? Or have you somehow forgotten? [:o)]

It must be because you did such a good job stripping the credibility from that newspaper, so good in fact that none of us read it anymore.

Challenge? What challenge?

db

Archived