Are the Italian problems hurting soccer here

john tv

Again our wonderfull Star saw it fit to devote just about a whole page on the problems that plague Italian soccer. This is all fine but what is the purpose behind this.Is it to make soccer look bad again in the eyes of the average Canadian.The various references that may scare eveybody. It does not surprise me one bit that again the Star Canada's largest newspaper took the lead in this area.Reading between the lines and that is what they want is the question do we want soccer to become big and probably face the same problems.This seems the ultimate question left in everybodys mind. i have said so many times before speaking to the average Canadian,people get killed in soccer among their resentment to our game. So the question ,is the Toronto media again finding some ways to make our game look bad with the ultimate issue,soccer will not be accepted as a N.A sport.

It's precisely because people get killed like this that it makes the headlines, more so because of the publicity soccer and Toronto FC have had these past weeks/months.

That's the way the media works and of all people John TV, you should be aware of this.

But remember the old adage, any publicity is good publicity.

[?] Eh?

Well, it's a dramatic and news worthy event. That's got to be worth some ink. Conspiracy theroies or no, it's interesting in that it is alien to the Canadian experience, yet still close enough to home for a great many Canadians simply because of the Italian angle. So it's the perfect story. Exotic, bloody, but not so removed as to allow for dismissive indifference.

Add the Serie A scandals of the past season, and you paint a fuller, more interesting and tragic picture of Italian football. Maybe an unfairly coloured picture, but then again maybe not.

And you just know opinions are going to vary so that makes it all the more interesting to the reader. This is a story which begs discussion, informed or otherwise.

All together those factors demand that it has to be included in the sports section of a Toronto daily. In my opinion, you don't need any conspiracy theroy to justify it's inclusion.

It's a dramatic, eye-catching, news worthy story.

The story was written by Cathal Kelly, the Star's dedicated soccer columnist.

One possible explanation: Mr. Kelly, who makes his living writing about soccer, is secretly out to destroy the image of the game, on the orders of his media overlord masters. The plan is fiendishly clever as Mr. Kelly has spent a couple years now writing weekly columns for the Star about soccer. None but the cleverest will suspect a thing.

Another possible explanation: This is the biggest story in international soccer and a journalist who makes a living writing about (primarily) international soccer should probably write a story about it.

Occam's razor

Come on! After a night out of drinking I come back home and this is the best you guys can come up with on this topic. Where are the accusations of racism? Where are the conspiracy theories? Well then let me be the first to start. Through the ingenious machinations of a certain Johnnytv we (the Voyageurs) have ascertained that LMS aka Loud Mouth Soup is a member of the anti-Italian, racist anti-soccer cabal and in fact is a double agent who is either Cathal Kelly or an editor of the Toronto Star. He is paid to sow discord among us Voyageurs and turn us into violent ultras who would cheer for England or Holland if it would further our career as prominent racist ultras and keep Canadian soccer down forever. Conclusion, Loud Mouth Soup is to blame for 20 years of CSA incompetence. Conclusion 2: Loud Mouth Soup is Kevin Pipe. Conclusion 3: Johnnytv likes Kevin Pipe. Conclusion 4: Johnnytv is also a double agent who is promoting crazy theories about soccer in order that they can be easily discredited later. Conclusion 5: Amacpher is in love with a handsome Italian man (could it be Forza_Italia?) who doesn't love him. Conclusion 6 Jefferey S is in love with a Swedish man who hates Catalans, Spanish and especially Portugese which is why he encouraged Dannyboy to play for Portugal despite all the haterz. Conclusion 7: Grizzly is drunk![:o)]

Guest Jeffery S.

Constant repetition of fighting sequences from hockey has probably hurt its international image in countries where it is not too popular. It could be argued it has not grown as fast as it could have because of it.

On the other hand you look at the lower divisions of the IIHF and you see a lot of countries playing and competiting, and the competition has generally improved over the decades, with the lower tiers learning and getting better. Former minnows now beat decent teams.

So what do you conclude? Stop the fighting to promote the game, or promote the game, however it happens to come out, and let the natural intelligence of sports fans figure out the difference between what is essential to the sport and what may be optional (fighting in hockey) or more clearly peripheral (fan violence in soccer).

And that is what I think, that fan violence can be habitual in many leagues and countries, but it is not part and parcel to the sport. Fan violence in Italy is not integral to Italian soccer, it is there, and it can be handled if there is a will. England has proved this by going through some amazing changes over the past 20 years, the game is intact, it has not lost its passion, the fans are no different from before in their love for their teams and hate for rivals. Only stadiums are safer, fan behaviour is better. I would even say radical fan groups have taken a serious dive in Spain over the past 5 years as well, they still exist, but we are not seeing them killing each other, as was the case even in the 90s with a few deaths in brawls outside stadiums.

Now if Spanish tv will only show hockey when there is an absurd fight and thumb their noses at the sport, that is their ignorance, they lose. I lose too, as they then don't show all the hockey at the Olympics, or tape delay it all (last winter Olympics they showed the frigging semis at the same time the final was on, tape delayed, idiots). Same goes if the Canadian press does this with soccer, only pointing to the negatives. But they don't, they report a lot of things about the game, probably doing what corresponds to the kind of club structure we have (three pro teams) and the lack of national team games on our soil.

So I think there is no argument here John, and in any case, you can't spend all day posing and preening and dreaming about plastic surgery, sometimes your face is what it is and if someone thinks its ugly, you have to live with it. Because fortunately there are just as many out there you happen to find your face just fine.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Conclusion, Loud Mouth Soup is to blame for 20 years of CSA incompetence.

I'm so evil.

quote:Conclusion 2: Loud Mouth Soup is Kevin Pipe.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let's not get carried away. You've made me feel so dirty.

quote:Conclusion 5: Amacpher is in love with a handsome Italian man (could it be Forza_Italia?) who doesn't love him.

I like your thinking, and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

guys, I live in Rome and went regularly to the stadium to see games...until about 5 years ago.Here people are mainly afraid to go the the stadium, the flares,spits,punches,chains,knifes and all the rest...Let me tell you,we "normal" people ARE GETTING TIRED of pro soccer!!Why? Cocaine, bribe scandals, doping, players tangled in all kind of scandals, prostitutes,poor play, lack of national pride, too much money and a TON of other things!!From Buffon buying his high school diploma and inquired from the police for betting into pro soccer,Juventus players saying that they don't remember what the docs injected them, hell, they trusted the docs!MoggiGate and all that stuff,teams going bankrupt (Como,Parma,Ancona..), Chinaglia trying to bring east european mafia in soccer, (as we don't already have tons of it..), Padovano and Moriero, former Juve and Inter players arrested for importing cocaine and stolen cars...do you want me to continue? Coaches fighting better than Lennox Lewis..That's why I have fun with the MLS, USL..they are light years away from serie A..in the right direction..

He was very morbid and very out of line it is just to bad that this forced this issue to come to an end when I feel that we are on to something extremely important. I again saw the Star today going out of it's way to slam soccer.It is indeed very bad for all of us that we are up against some idiots in Europe who seem to have some very violent ideas about soccer as far as their entertainment is concerned.I sometimes wondered if this may be financed by others.The question still remains will it hurt the image of soccer and will it continue the keep up the bad image of soccer.

I have asked this question as well before,who on our National Teams comes from Canadian parents and for that matter who on this board has Canadian parents.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Grizzy do you think it may be possible knowing the money involved that there maybe some big truth in your conclusions and that it even makes zillions of dollar sense as well.

There are so many possibilities in the world, John, that little guys like us can not even begin to fathom them!

There have been many examples in the past were some very strange reasons things happened that hindered the development and promotion of soccer.Among my soccer buddies we knew that these were no coincidences but in order to proof what you thought existed was like playing with fire.It only makes sense that the big boys used their CIA tactics to do the dirty work,if this is what was assumed.

It is very clear that soccer took of like gangbuster among the emigrant population and looking at these players we all know who they are. The question still stands who on this board has Canadian parents.

I am not looking for some crazy fight just trying to show how deeply that feeling against soccer is.It is even possible that many Canadians that play in the NHL have foreign parents simply because they had the advantage of having a soccer background. I know all the boys from Scarborough have that common denominator.

We have a lot of work ahead of us and we must try to concince the average Canadian that soccer is not a threat and that the game has a great Canadian soccer history and that we have produced some worldclass players already and that there is money to be made in playing that game.

There have been many examples in the past were some very strange reasons things happened that hindered the development and promotion of soccer.Among my soccer buddies we knew that these were no coincidences but in order to proof what you thought existed was like playing with fire.It only makes sense that the big boys used their CIA tactics to do the dirty work,if this is what was assumed.

It is very clear that soccer took of like gangbuster among the emigrant population and looking at these players we all know who they are. The question still stands who on this board has Canadian parents.

I am not looking for some crazy fight just trying to show how deeply that feeling against soccer is.It is even possible that many Canadians that play in the NHL have foreign parents simply because they had the advantage of having a soccer background. I know all the boys from Scarborough have that common denominator.

We have a lot of work ahead of us and we must try to concince the average Canadian that soccer is not a threat and that the game has a great Canadian soccer history and that we have produced some worldclass players already and that there is money to be made in playing that game.

Come on guys let's discuss what needs to be done in our society. We emigrants or second generation know, but should the rest know as well.

It's was so revealing that my best man at my wedding and I his best man at his wedding . It turned out some twenty years later that his grand father was one of the founding fathers of the Dominion Football Association in Canada. Well we had our discussion one day and yes he said take your great...ng sport it will never go in Canada.His grand fathers name was . Dr, David Devin Hall,mayor of Bowmanville ,president of the Dentist society and also president of the Local Hockey league aside from being the representative at the formation of the Dominion Footbal Association of Canada representing Ontario,.Barry did not want soccer even though his Grandfather was a pioneer in the game. This is how deep this thing goes.

You know what I hate? People with agendas.

You know the type. These are the people who, no matter who the topic at hand, always manage to drag the conversation back towards the same bloody issue, over and over and over again.

I'm just glad we don't have anyone like that here.

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

You know what I hate? People with agendas.

You know the type. These are the people who, no matter who the topic at hand, always manage to drag the conversation back towards the same bloody issue, over and over and over again.

I'm just glad we don't have anyone like that here.

Good one :-)

Archived