Are the Italian problems hurting soccer here

john tv

Is your name Dick? Sorry Richard I could not resist. Still after all my postings no one has answered my question. I really don't know why since is goes to the root of what we are trying to accomplish and secure,meaning the direction of soccer involving the whole of Canada,meaning jo blo and everybody. Sofar it is an immigrant thing,capice,dicky.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Is your name Dick? Sorry Richard I could not resist. Still after all my postings no one has answered my question. I really don't know why since is goes to the root of what we are trying to accomplish and secure,meaning the direction of soccer involving the whole of Canada,meaning jo blo and everybody. Sofar it is an immigrant thing,capice,dicky.

Listen Johnny, there is no conspiracy to put Soccer into disrepute in this country. No one covers Soccer here because there is no demand for it. There are numerous reasons for it, The Canadian Men's team has been relatively unsuccessful, there is no top level league or clubs (that's changing), the sport is viewed as an ethnic/immigrant sport (hockey is OUR sport), as a sport you play as a kid that serves as subsidized babysitting, or it's a wimp sport full of divers etc. etc. the bottom line is people make their own decisions and they like to watch what they like and there's not much you can do about it except market the game anyway you can (ie. advertising, word of mouth)and present a product that people are going to like. Then you get the exposure.

When someone like Cathal Kelly comes around and writes an article on Italian football and the problems they're encountering right now he's doing so because it's his job. This is a HUGE story, a police officer was killed and an entire weekend of Serie A and B games were cancellled/postponed. If your job was to report about football and you passed on this story and opted for "unknown chinese teenager trialing with TFC" or "Canada rumoured to play Bermuda frienly in March" do you think you'd have a job in the near future? No, you wouldn't.

That's is what i have been trying to point out it is an ethnic/emigrant sport and that is where i feel we have our jobs cut out. Among all my canadian friends associates etc none of them care or like or even view soccer in a good light.As I have said so many times it never used to be that way,Canada does have a wonderfull history in soccer and the question still is there what happened,why were Canadians turned of and still are about soccer.We know that it seems all our MNT players have an ethnic background and I have asked the board members to state if they are all ethnic or not.The only way we can have a chance to have the Canadian population accept our sport as one of the main ones is through the media and that is the only way.This stuff in Italy is not helping our cause at all and other problems simular to those are being reported.

I have yet to see one of the columnist either attend or write about soccer.I just hope that the TFC guys will be able to change that anti soccer attitude and make it one of the biggies.We must thrive to see soccer accepted that way,but I also know it ain't easy. It is indeed up to the media.

No John, the media is not going to fix the problem, the sport itself is going to have to fix the problem. White bread Canadians are turned off because there is so little scoring, players dive, fake injury, etc. you are not going to get alot of these people to change their minds unless they see some change in the product itself. Now, if TFC plays a tough-nosed, no diving/cheating/whining style of game while also maintaining ball control, putting the ball in the net and winning games then things might change. That's at the club level. For these folks to support Canada we have to start to win games and make the World Cup. The people tuning into the World Cup this summer either already liked the sport or were curious. If Canada was there participating, alot of those curious white Canadians would have hopped on the bandwagon. Then the sponsors catch on and the advertising dollars flow in. It's simple business principles John.

Ok all these changes take place,how are these bread guys going to find out, only through the media. Still it is just about impossible to change their thinking or beliefs of our sport.It goes down to deep that mystical turn of.The only sure way is still through the ethnic media for starters and than the clubs and the younger ones,if there are any seats left that is and I would suggest concentrate on the 17 to 28 age group and guys that is. I would certainly recommend that TFC prepares posters that are hung in any bar showing each up coming game.That should be an automatic.Posters are very effective and it seems never really used by other sports.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Ok all these changes take place,how are these bread guys going to find out, only through the media. Still it is just about impossible to change their thinking or beliefs of our sport.It goes down to deep that mystical turn of.The only sure way is still through the ethnic media for starters and than the clubs and the younger ones,if there are any seats left that is and I would suggest concentrate on the 17 to 28 age group and guys that is. I would certainly recommend that TFC prepares posters that are hung in any bar showing each up coming game.That should be an automatic.Posters are very effective and it seems never really used by other sports.

If all these things take place the people will have turned on by word of mouth, turning on their TV sets or catching a casual glimpse of it at the bar. If a few guys here and a few there watching the game in the bar say "hey, these guys are alright" and get a casual interest at first it plants a seed. Then they might start getting excited when the WC rolls around, or TFC makes the MLS Cup final and the ball gets rolling...success breeds success, there has to be something positive to report before we can expect the media to give greater coverage to the sport.

If you're speaking about old timers changing their ingrained ways then yes you're are correct, i doubt soccer will make much head way with that demographic. There's still hope though for the younger crowd, single guys in their 30's, non-neanderthals, sporty women etc.

I still think it is a great idea to have these posters in each bar,showing these sexy legs and great colours etc. I can't remember if this ever has been tried, but in Holland that was my calender. Totally relied on that information and it worked.We had some posters at the Robbie and that worked very well indeed.

Archived