Toronto FC tryouts fully booked

Richard

TORONTO (CP) - All 1,000 spots at an open tryout for Toronto FC have been filled, the expansion MLS club said Thursday.

The club says it has received applications from across Canada and from as far away as Cruzeiro, Brazil. The tryouts, open to players 14 and over at a non-refundable cost of $115, needed just over two weeks to reach capacity.

A waiting list has been created for those turned down.

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/soccer/story.html?id=5b5733ea-6b06-459a-962c-7b7a0435ca70&k=27264

Now let's see, that's a grand total of $115,000 revenue for the club before they've even played a game... not bad.

This is really a great start, though. As for the tryouts, I would love to see somedy, even a couple of film students, take this on as a documentary-style short film. I bet you'd find a real cast of characters amongst those thousands. Some ex-college stars, foreign semi-stars turned refugees, beer leaguers with hearts of gold, etc..I bet it would be great drama and real entertainment. And who knows? Maybe they'll find a diamond in the rough amongst them who can fight for a roster spot. Good luck to them!

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

TFC is already 3rd in the league for season tix , with over 5000 sold...

I'm not saying TFC hasn't done a good job so far. What I was trying to say was I'm curious if these 1000 "trialists" would support soccer in Canada or are just trying to be part of soccer in Canada.

1,000 is impressive and daunting for both those overseeing the tryouts and those trying out.

They will need to pare down the numbers ruthlessly - first by using some physical tests, speed, fitness, endurance, power, first, then some skill tests, then when its down to around 20 or 25, some subjective evaluations, like watching them in scrimmages to see who has heart, who can play in intense competitions, etc.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

11k-500k, average is around 20-30k. There is a salaray cap of I believe 2m, with one player excluded with the "Beckham rule". All dollars US.

12k min for Developmental Players, 28k min for full roster players.

League average is about 60k and last years salary cap was 1.89 million, next season it is supposed to be between 2.3-2.5 million.

Archived