Is MLS HQ selecting the TFC coaching staff?

Grizzly

With Mo Johnson as head coach and Bob Gansler as his assistent it makes me suspicious that MLS is choosing who should coach the team. The one thing both coaches have in common is that they were both fired by MLS teams this year. I am not sure if the coaches like the players are actually paid by the league instead of the club but if so I wonder how long their current contracts run. Could this be a case of MLS having to pay their contracts anyway whether they are working or not so they are getting sent to TFC so that MLS is not paying them for nothing?

Time will tell whether they turn out to be good choices or not. Mo Johnson's MLS experience as well as his overall coaching experience is quite limited though Gansler has extensive experience. I haven't followed the MLS that closely this year but they have 12 teams and the only coaching firings I can remember this year are Johnson, Gansler and Steve Sampson. It seems a bit suspicious that 2 of the 3 are now working for TFC. I wonder what position Sampson will get?

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Mo picked the assistant coach...

end of story

Yeah, I really think that you are looking for something that is not there. You must also remember that Bob Gansler has not been announced because he is still under contract. However, he will be announced when his contract is up with KC. Because of this your theroy does not make any sense.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

MLSE has very little experience with the MLS. It wouldn't surprise me if they asked for help from top MLS officials in hiring their staff.

You hit the nail on the head.

Frank Yallop was MLSE's first choice, btw.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

With Mo Johnson as head coach and Bob Gansler as his assistent it makes me suspicious that MLS is choosing who should coach the team. The one thing both coaches have in common is that they were both fired by MLS teams this year. I am not sure if the coaches like the players are actually paid by the league instead of the club but if so I wonder how long their current contracts run. Could this be a case of MLS having to pay their contracts anyway whether they are working or not so they are getting sent to TFC so that MLS is not paying them for nothing?

Coaching staff contracts are paid by the clubs in question. Gansler hadn't been named assistant since KC has been paying him till the end of the MLS season.

Speaking of MLSE and hiring practices, there are rumours that the NBA tipped them that Brian Colangelo was going to be available. I don't think Raptors fans are complaining.

As for Toronto FC, I dont mind having guys with MLS experience involved with the team. Even though MoJo's credentials leave me underwhelmed, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. I'd also assume that MoJo must have wanted Gansler and that he wasn't forced to take him.

Archived