Future of Voyageurs Cup

River City

Wouldn't panic just yet, things could be very different in a year or two and WE could still award the Voyageurs Cup to the countrys footie champ, such as we see fit. Meaning Division 1 could still grow in other parts of Canada or an open cup format may evolve that we could utilize.

As Daniel wrote, think it would be pretty cool to lend it to the CSA for an Open Cup but it's doubtfull. I would think that a sponsor's name would likely be attached to the event. But you never know.

Worse comes to worse, we don't have to do anything right away. Could mothball the trophy if necessary.

If I'm not mistaken, the US Open Cup isn't something that TFC will be participating in, so what are the chances that they, along with Montreal and Vancouver would have a mini-tournament? Is this too ambitious? IT would just be a shame to see the trophy not awarded this season.

Also, is awarding it with just Vancouver and Montreal competing out of the question? I mean, if TFC doesn't want in, then these two teams could still battle.

TFC definitely cannot compete for the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup as the competition is only for US based teams. I say give it to the winner of the MTL-VAN head to heads as I would be very surprised if TFC could pull off exhibitions against both Cdn USL sides.

I didn't think there was an issue here. Montreal and Vancouver are still present, so what's the problem? Sure, it'll suck to have just two matches (especially considering that just three seasons ago we had 20 [i feel like crying now]), but that's beside the point. In my opinion, the Voyageurs Cup stays where it is as long as there are at least two teams in the league (anything else would be a slap in their faces), and we'll deal with other scenarios as they come (which is surely at least three years away).

Besides the fact that it would be way beyond our ability to organize non-league matches in order to include Toronto FC, a national cup is already supposed to be in the works for 2007, organized by the CSA as it should be.

And I cannot express strongly enough how much I am against giving or lending our trophy to the CSA.

Guest Jeffery S.

I must admit I am disappointed too, but since we have not even updated the front page about this year's winner, it is hard to argue that Voyaguers is overly keen about its own trophy (that is not meant as a dig; folks have come on before saying they'd do it, and I will come out and say I will do copy for front page updates, especially the essential ones if someone else hangs them there).

But I am keen about it, I am proud of the V-Cup. The idea is to give it to the top club in Canada as demonstrated by head to head play against other Canadian clubs. Things could always change, evolve, so we cannot stuff it, we have to hang on and give it to whoever can fulfill this requirement. And that will have to be a head to head Vancouver and Montreal for next season. If by any chance they play four games, then let's use all those, as long as the schedule is balanced home and away. Maybe in a few years another D1 team will come along, or just as well an MLS team and then we upgrade there. Always understanding that if the CSA gets to organizing a Canadian cup, that will be in a separate tournament format from the league, allowing the V-Cup to be awarded, as now, for head to head league play. Indeed we will have to insist, if the CSA wants to borrow our model and encroach on our concept, that they lay off and put out the money for a separate competition.

Why not just make the Voyageurs Cup a true Challenge Cup along the lines of the Ranfurly Shield (ie province vs province)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranfurly_Shield

The professional teams would take part in their respective provincial cups. (Toronto FC plays in Ontario Cup, Montreal Impact in Coupe de Quebec)

During the summer, the province holding the cup would be "challenged" by other provincial cup winners for the Cup.

Just a thought.

I'll chime in considering I donated a couple of bucks to the trophy.

The answer is really simple. Keep giving it out to the winner of games between USL-1 Canadian teams. The Voyageurs cup goes to the best professional team in Canada taking into consideration that they actually compete for it. MLS only has one Canadian team so there won't be any league competition between Canadian teams in that league for a long while if ever. So in USL-1 the trophy stays.

Guest Jeffery S.

If Toronto wants to play a few friendlies against each CDN side, well perfect, but since it is unlikely, we give the trophy to the teams playing for it. And TO won't be.

Please allow this long-time lurker/occasional poster to add his two cents. Since the V-Cup is a fan-driven cup (that has lasted a hell of a lot longer than I ever would have guessed) I see nothing wrong with awarding it to the winner of a Montreal/Vancouver match-up. It's the V's trophy, they can do with it as they please and there is no wrong answer to what they chose to do with it.

I also would respectfully suggest that someone approach MLSE and offer TFC the opportunity to participate. They would probably say no, but you never know. Maybe it would be a trophy that TFC's reserve side could participate in.

Bottom line...it took a bit of balls to get the thing off the ground in the first place. Why stop now? Grow the damn thing and make it something that you can be proud(er) of.

Who's to say that there won't be some sort of pre-season matches involving TFC and the other two Canadian bases USL clubs. Or that the clubs wouldn't agree to play some games as non league games during the season. This would allow the results to count towards the V-Cup and you would still have a three team competition.

Has anyone pitched the idea to Paul? All it would take would be to ask at the next meeting when he shows up.

That would seem a little unfair. Montreal-Vancovuer matches would be hard fought 0-0, 1-0 league games as usual, while the games involving Toronto would be loose exhibition matches, lots of goals etc, with nobody really caring about the final score. To me that kind of skews the table and cheapens the cup.

I really believe that the Voyageurs Cup needs to continue being given out. I like the idea of Exhibition matches involving TFC and the USL sides. I realize that those matches may skew the results, but I really think that there is something to be said for a match that involves a cup. If the players don't get into it, then that is a knock on them as professionals.

A fan based trophy is only viable for games which were already going to be scheduled anyway. I suspect the Voyageurs Cup has had its day at least for now until there are multiple MLS teams playing regular season games against each other. There is talk of the CSA organizing an annual tournament for CONCACAF Champions League qualification and that will also very much fill the void that the Voyageurs Cup was originally designed to fill.

Archived