Toronto FC Players?

Cristiano11

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

Norway’s top income tax rate is 49.3% (this has actually gone down 2% in the past 2 years)

Canada's top income tax rate is 46.4%

not a big difference....playing for FC Copenhagen is another story.

http://www.worldtaxpayers.org/statmarg.htm

That's not the only form of taxation, however. The equivalent of the GST is set at about 25% in Norway, Sweden and Denmark, while filling a car's gas tank is over twice as expensive because of eco-friendly fuel taxes aimed at discouraging people from using private cars:-

http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm17.htm

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

I may have missed it in other posts, but has TFC secured any kind of television contract for next season?

[:0] Ho ho! Well, there's a familiar name/face!

1st). Welcome home, son.

2nd). And as mentioned no, nothing yet. But I'm hopefull.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

That's not the only form of taxation, however. The equivalent of the GST is set at about 25% in Norway, Sweden and Denmark, while filling a car's gas tank is over twice as expensive because of eco-friendly fuel taxes aimed at discouraging people from using private cars:-

http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm17.htm

Since I just moved back to Norway from Canada, I can definitley say that yes - the cost of living is way higher here (except for IKEA - IKEA is cheaper. As is cognac.) But salaries are much higher too, and people generally have more to spend than in Canada.

Anyway, a top import at one of the top 3 clubs - Rosenborg, Brann and Vålerenga - will make in the neighbourhood of CAD$400-600K. The next level - teams like Lillestrøm, Viking, and a few others - can pay a proven import about $250-500K. Most can afford a top salary of approx. $150-300K. Occéan and Hishchfeld - and perhaps Bernier - will be among their clubs' top earners (although at 3 different tiers). Grande, Stamatopoulos and Ademolu will not be quite at the top, altough they'll be near it.

Norway, like Denmark, has a "visiting artist" tax exemtion - drastically reduced tax for a period of time. I'm not sure of the exact rate, but it's a fair chunk of change. It's a bigger deal in Denmark where the tax cut is even greater, and reason a fair number of mediocre Norwegian players go to Denmark for an increased net pay.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

BBTB has a point here.

A guy like Occean got stiffed pay-wise because he was not American and not and 'draw'.

If TFC were around when Occean was coming out of school, it is plausible that a young Canadian hotshot like him would get more of a fair shake from a Canadian club.

Wrong. Occean got stiffed because of MLS policy to overpay for whinny Americans and worthless foreign players.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Wrong. Occean got stiffed because of MLS policy to overpay for whinny Americans and worthless foreign players.

Wow. So what you're saying is that a Canadian club is more likely to "overpay for whinny Americans and worthless foreign players" than give a Canadian kid a shot?

I'm so glad you've lent your considerable insight to this discussion. And in such a timely manner, too.

When you overpay Donovan, Adu, and Johnson and get nothing out of it, your showing a real lack of thinking. The Donovan fad is going out of style, Adu is being a whinny little brat while Johnson is fast becoming the Terrell Owens of MLS after so many transfer offers were nixed.

And don't get me started on Clint Mathis.

Meanwhile, Twelleman and Dempsey get underpaid while they provide much more to American soccer. Dempsey won't be staying in MLS after his contract expires in 2007. He's just sick of MLS being greedy after nixing numerous transfer offers.

As for the foreign names, those failures are well know. Hernandez, Matthaus, Azizi, Myung-Bo and even the number of Canadians that have gone through the league.

MLS wants respect? Give a play like DeRo a salary on par with that of Carlos Ruiz and actually give better salaries to American players based on talent rather than on looks or their Hollywwod potential.

Don't see much wrong in paying more for a marketable player. That's business, man.

But what passes for MLS' goofy wage scheme, that's another matter. You really have to wonder how much influence the "football" people have at the table with the accountants and league marketing people in that decision making process.

But, sure. Canadian players of any quality are now marketable to MLS. Or at least MLS Toronto and that's something. Also have to keep in mind that Canadian players seem to have a tradition of striking out for Europe to try their luck (moreso than Americans) so MLS is in a competitive venture at the go. Good for wages for the lads which is never a bad thing.

Freddie Who? keeps popping up in the European rumour columns. But then again, Tim Howard was at Man U for a while wasn't he? (Saw him having a fit on the television last night. Ba-ha-ha-ha.). How much of this & that is about marketing to the US of A?

(By the by, I'll guarentee you before 1 copper penny ever changes hands between an EPL team and MLS over Freddie Who that the best science on the market is going to give that young man a thorough once over and put the age question quite firmly to bed. One way or another. Unless he goes over on the cheap in which case who cares?).

Doyle, I agree with you that DeRo is underpaid, but if you look at a lot of leagues around the world (in every sport) there are guys that are woefully underpaid, and guys that a stratlingly overpaid.

Og the three Americans you mentioned (Donovan, Adu and Johnson), I'd argue that only Johnson is overpaid. Donovan, like him or not, is a marquee player in MLS, and probably the second best American in the league right now (behind Dempsey). Adu brought all sorts of attention to the league, much more than his $500,000 salary could buy. And he's rounding into a very good little player. Not the next coming of Pele, of course, but still something on a higher level than most American players.

As for the foreign players, you're just focusing on the flameouts (and there were spectacular ones). You failed to mention guys like Christian Gomez, Jaime Moreno, Youri Djorkaeff (before he decided to quit this year), Ryan Nelsen, Juan Pablo Garcia, and so on.

Doyle, I agree with you that DeRo is underpaid, but if you look at a lot of leagues around the world (in every sport) there are guys that are woefully underpaid, and guys that a stratlingly overpaid.

Og the three Americans you mentioned (Donovan, Adu and Johnson), I'd argue that only Johnson is overpaid. Donovan, like him or not, is a marquee player in MLS, and probably the second best American in the league right now (behind Dempsey). Adu brought all sorts of attention to the league, much more than his $500,000 salary could buy. And he's rounding into a very good little player. Not the next coming of Pele, of course, but still something on a higher level than most American players.

As for the foreign players, you're just focusing on the flameouts (and there were spectacular ones). You failed to mention guys like Christian Gomez, Jaime Moreno, Youri Djorkaeff (before he decided to quit this year), Ryan Nelsen, Juan Pablo Garcia, and so on.

Archived