mo is on the fan tonight (Sept 7)

cndsoccer

Highlights:

- wants to secure a core of canadian national players, with foreign players, and 3 or 4 american players

- nothing has been set up to now as to a limit/quota of canadians on the team,

- is following a host of young canadian players, wants the best young canadian players

- "not impressed with stalteri", can get same for cheaper

- trying to get best quality canadians home, alot have shown interest

- wants to bring 8 or 9 canadians home, who have played together

- about his lack of coaching experience: doesnt phase him, only lost 4 in 17 games, players like him. He is bringing in an assistant coach with the highest HIGHEST marks, has won everything in the game, is older, is coming on board in november, his current contract is up in November

- working with 35 agents across the world to bring players in

- seems very confident that TFC will win games, says canadians have heart and have balls

- is a big name essential for the roster?: yes, but only ones who want to play, vital to get canadian stars but will also look to italians, greeks

overall, seems like he's very committed to having a core of canadians on the team, good to hear.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

He is bringing in an assistant coach with the highest HIGHEST marks, has won everything in the game, is older, is coming on board in november, his current contract is up in November

Maybe not *everything*... [}:)]

picwger0.jpg

picscbd.jpg

intro_wm74_pokal.jpg

Daniel--hilarious! But only because I cheer for the Huns. If the rumour has some truth to it, then we could have a very interesting assistant at TFC.

Can't wait to see who will come home, too.

Sort of surprised to see such a bald/bold statement about Stalteri, though it is true he was not very good on Monday. thought Mo might be more diplomatic in his phrasing, that's all.

- "not impressed with stalteri", can get same for cheaper

While it is good to be a straight shooter and voice your opinion, I don't see the point in making such a statement publicly and it is worrying from someone who will probably have some influence on the national team. If that is Johnson's view he should keep it to himself particularly as I doubt Stalteri will be an option for Toronto for a few more years anyway and noone is calling for him to sign Paul. It would be one thing to give some constructive criticism but what is positively achieved by insulting Stalteri in public.

well its not like he volunteered the info himself. he was directly asked if he was interested in signing stalteri, and he replied truthfully. we dont get that enough from coaches in the canadian soccer scene. Stalteri is not untouchable. I mean really, is he THAT much better than braz or poz? its not 2004 anymore.

well its not like he volunteered the info himself. he was directly asked if he was interested in signing stalteri, and he replied truthfully. we dont get that enough from coaches in the canadian soccer scene. Stalteri is not untouchable. I mean really, is he THAT much better than braz or poz? its not 2004 anymore.

What we don't get enough from coaches in the Canadian soccer scene is quality coaching, player and team managment. Yet it doesn't take a lot of coaching skill to publicly insult players. Johnson should concentrate on proving that he is a quality coach, something that he has not done so far, and keep his opinions of various national team players to himself. And yes when Stalteri is on his game and playing as a back he is far better than either Braz or Poz.

If Braz or Pozniak were seen as being close to Stalteri in terms of quality, they would be playing at a much higher level than they are. Given the level of scrutiny and the amounts of money available, EPL sides are not likely to hold onto anyone they don't see as being useful. At the same time, there would be a lineup and open cheque books for the two Canadians you mention if they were capable of playing in the EPL.

The top European clubs scout all over the world. Very few top talents have not been seen. At least not those into their mid 20s.

The issue in the Jamaica game for Stalteri was that he was recovering from injury and being played out of position. I think Stalteri is a fullback of EPL quality but not a midfielder of EPL quality. There is a message in there for Hart. I believe it was Dunga, the new Brazilian Head Coach, who said that he wanted to use his players as close to how they were used at their club as possible because there was not enough time to acclimatize players to a new position. I tend to agree for Canada too.

Back to Mo, Toronto FC needs to look at players within its price range. That rules out Friend, Stalteri, both de Guzmans, McKenna, Klukowski, and any other player on a longer term contract in a league of reasonable quality in Europe. The players that he needs to look at would be those like Pozniak, Grande, Gerba, Hastings, and those playing in North America or have yet to break into Europe.

In terms of foreign players, I think they should look to Latin America, That is not due to style but more to value. There are many players in their mid-20s deep in experience but for whatever reason, they have not broken into Europe (they have the same non-EU issues) or they have returned from Europe. Also understand that the idea of playing in North America would be very attractive to many of these players. European players would be much more expensive.

- is a big name essential for the roster?: yes, but only ones who want to play, vital to get canadian stars but will also look to italians, greeks

Okay, I swear I didn't read this before making my post in the Brennan signing thread. ;)

As for the Stalteri comment, I think we have to expect that Mo is going to be somewhat outspoken. From a club perspective, I think MLSE will like that, he'll help sell the game & keep the team in headlines if he makes outspoken comments. Preferably about the opposition players next time though! ;)

Having now heard the interview (available at http://www.fan590.com/features/hotaudio.jsp)

I don't think his comments about Stalteri were quite as negative as originally presented. He said he wasn't "over-impressed" with him, pointed out that he knew he was being played out of position in the Jamaica game and wasn't trying to knock him, and feels that he can sign someone for right back that will do the job won't cost as much (and he's got a point there).

BTW, Kudos to Bob Iarusci for being the first person in the media (that I am aware) to point out that Hargreaves isn't a Canadian soccer player. Of course, being a former Canadian National team member himself the comment is not surprising.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

BTW, Kudos to Bob Iarusci for being the first person in the media (that I am aware) to point out that Hargreaves isn't a Canadian soccer player. Of course, being a former Canadian National team member himself the comment is not surprising.

Actually, kudos to Bob for correcting his mistake on the inaugural show when he stated that he didn't blame players for going abroad and playing for other countries due to the lack of programs in this country. As I posted after that show, I was very surprised to hear a former National teamer and Canadian Hall-of-Famer make a statement like that.

Archived