Atiba's Champions League Group

Manuel

Atiba's FC Copenhagen was drawn in group F with Manchester United, Celtic and Benfica. It'll be tough to get out of this group, but anything is possible, just ask Ajax. Also a good chance we will get to see him play, as Manchester United Champions League games are usually shown live or on tape delay.

Good luck Atiba.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only a big, fat plate of good luck will enable Celtic to go anywhere in Champions League this year (draws, lots of draws) and agreed, looking at the group United should feel fairly comfortable.

Maybe I'm being too hard on Gordo's boys. Celtic Park has proven a graveyard for European teams. If United can take as many points from FCK and Benfica as they will from Celtic than this group could be a lot of fun to watch.

Of course, everything can change in a heartbeat. Or a tackle.

Guest Jeffery S.

Order of play in their group:

Home to Benfica

Away to Celtic

Away to Man Utd

Home to Man Utd

Away to Benfica

Home to Celtic

Beginning 2nd week of September, ending first week of December.

Can't say they have any special advantages, with similar weather to the Isles, they are in season as are the British teams, Benfica will not see cold weather or adverse conditions that may bother them. Still, perhaps the fact that Portugal is just getting under way in league play could mean that the first match is the one to go for, as Copenhagen is further into their season. The other little advantage I see is that it is likely that Celtic and Benfica will take points from each other, keeping the Danes in the mix.

Now that you mention it, yeah. Hadn't really thought of that.

Copenhagen couldn't be be playing on a bigger stage now could they? Not much anyway. Hutch is going to get some real 1st rate exposure from this tourny. For good or bad, he's to be in the thick of it for FCK.

Geezus, I hope he does himself proud.

I think it's a pretty decent group, some of the groups have two teams that are amoung the elite clubs ( chelsea, barca for example), this is a difficult group considering its got an A team and two B teams and then a D team (realistically copenhagen is probably a D team for this skilled a draw but with only two spots for advancement it's a whole lot better then being in a group with two A teams and two D teams.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Juby

I think it's a pretty decent group, some of the groups have two teams that are amoung the elite clubs ( chelsea, barca for example), this is a difficult group considering its got an A team and two B teams and then a D team (realistically copenhagen is probably a D team for this skilled a draw but with only two spots for advancement it's a whole lot better then being in a group with two A teams and two D teams.

Considering Copenhagen has by far the lowest UEFA coefficient of any team left, this draw is quite good for them.

Yes, and that unmentionable one is one fire at the moment. I think he is on a mission. The more they boo him, the better he will play.

Also, last year United & Benfica were in the same group, and I recall that United finished last in the group, not even getting the Uefa Cup spot, with Benfica & Lille (I think)getting through. So anything is possible. Jusy because they are Man U doesn't mean they are guarenteed a spot through.

quote:Originally posted by Manuel

Also, last year United & Benfica were in the same group, and I recall that United finished last in the group, not even getting the Uefa Cup spot, with Benfica & Lille (I think)getting through. So anything is possible. Jusy because they are Man U doesn't mean they are guarenteed a spot through.

If memory is right it was Villareal and Benfica that finished in the top spots, with Lille third and Maun U last.

I only say that from having watched some games. Vander sar is of course fantastic but guys like Ferdinand, Wes Brown, and O'Shea are weak at this level, at least in the games I have seen they make alot of mistakes. Heinze is a good player and luckily for them I believe Silvestre is gone. And really third best defence in England last year? There are only four teams.

And now I have done some research they tied for the 7th best goals against in the group stage with three other teams. Of course they were third in there group in ga with just one fewer allowed then Benfica, I think that says more about the group then there shaky, I mean fantastic backline.

Ferdinand was weak for a while till sven gor called him a lazy arse, I was really impressed by him not being a cry baby about it and taking it as a wake up call. since then he's been good, and vidic is awesome guy, injured but awesome.

I'm looking forward to see Hutch in the three top matches. He's a great player. I believe that FCK have a fair chance of finishing second in the group. Not only because they have a great team with lots og national team players. The others teams in the group are not even considering the possibility of dropping points to FCK. I think they are in for a surprise. I hope that you guys in Canada are able to watch some of the games on TV.

Hopefully i'm able to get tickets to the matches in Copenhagen.

By the way, how big is soccer in Canada?

Forza FC København

/Nicolas Dipo - Danish FCK fan

I think ATIBA will have a tough time of it, glasgow celtic are a huge team, and ofcourse so are Man Utd and Benfica, we get to see all the champions league matches over here so i might be able to get some dvd footage if you would be interested.

• 1 month later...

Archived