Toronto Sun: TFC plans soccer surge

Elias

Typical fluff, "we are making progress with the Leafs and Raptors" HAHAHAHA. Sorry... only interesting parts I guess are:

- soon announce an internationally experienced coach (I'm guessing they count some U-9 tournament in Minnesota.)

- they plan on having 7-8 Canadians on 18-man roster (okay, lets start the whining from the rest of the country. Remember, it was the Impact and the Whitecaps who forced the USL to drop the Canadian requirements).

- TFC will have a development team. I assume he means the MLS reserve league. Peddie says, "will attempt to keep young Canadian prospects on home turf, rather than have them go overseas to gain experience." More for some of you to whine about. They're going to ruin their talent. They should play in the American 2nd division instead.

- "Some writers in this city are xenophobic about soccer," Peddie said. "But with them or without them, soccer will be big in this city one day." LOL I think he's been hanging out with johntv too much. But I like the tough talk.

- the interesting part of this article is that GolTV will be showing Liverpool and Arsenal matches among other leagues.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Gross/2006/08/20/1766622-sun.html

Peddie plans soccer surge

The horns of thousands of cars adorned with green-white-red flags saluting Italy's World Cup triumph were blaring on Toronto streets at all hours a few weeks ago.

A Canadian flag rarely was seen.

Richard Peddie, president and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd., hopes that one of the billion-dollar corporation's teams one day will change that.

Sitting in his Air Canada Centre office, Peddie is convinced that one of his teams -- the Maple Leafs, Raptors or soccer's Toronto FC -- will reach the Holy Grail in its particular sport.

"We are making progress with the Leafs and Raptors, but we also have high hopes for our soccer team in Major League Soccer," he said. "When I looked at the soccer rankings, I realized that Canada is not even in the top 50. We plan to rectify that.

"We will pretty soon announce an internationally experienced coach. He and our scouts will then travel to Europe to check on Canadian players. We plan to sign seven or eight Canadians for our 18-man squad. They will play together in 32 league matches and could form the basis of a strong Canadian national team. That team, then, could work on improving our (soccer) reputation."

Peddie certainly has a nose for business, which is why MLSEL chairman Larry Tanenbaum and the Teachers Fund officials bank on his recommendations. That is based not only on his performance with MLSEL, but also on his business record with previous companies. He believes in all Major Soccer League partners. And what is not to believe in when that includes such well-heeled partners as Philip Anschutz and Lamar Hunt?

Anschutz, who owns the Los Angeles Kings and has shares in the Lakers, besides numerous other business companies, fell in love with soccer after watching the 1994 World Cup final, using two complimentary tickets. Since then, he has purchased four MLS teams and spent more than $100 million US to keep them above water.

Hunt, a mining magnate and founder of the American Football League, also owns multiple teams in MLS, a fact not lost on Peddie.

About meeting Anschutz, the reclusive patriarch of North American professional soccer, Peddie had this to say:

"Can you imagine sitting for hours with a man of such wealth, discussing every detail of the operation of the soccer league. The same thing happens with Lamar Hunt."

Peddie's vision lies beyond just the pro team. Toronto FC will have a development team that will attempt to keep young Canadian prospects on home turf, rather than have them go overseas to gain experience. He would be proudest if some of those Toronto FC players make Canada's World Cup team.

"Some writers in this city are xenophobic about soccer," Peddie said. "But with them or without them, soccer will be big in this city one day. We know it and that is why we became involved in its development. We don't expect any miracles from the soccer team in its first year of operation. We don't expect them to win the championship or even make the playoffs. But I know that they will be competitive."

Hopefully, the same will be said of his other two franchises who wouldn't mind some springtime horn-honking of their own.

GROSSLY ABBREVIATED

Every week, 50,000 viewers tune in to GOLTV. They are showing pro soccer games from Germany and, starting next month, will air games from Spain, Italy, Brazil, as well as English Premier League games from Liverpool and Arsenal.

"they plan on having 7-8 Canadians on 18-man roster"

Oh, goody.

"(okay, lets start the whining from the rest of the country. Remember, it was the Impact and the Whitecaps who forced the USL to drop the Canadian requirements)".

I'll jump in. Yes, it was the 'Caps and Impact. Believe the time line for that little scheme began sometime after the time the CSL got in bed with MLS and Kevin Pipe's comments comparing the relationship he expected to evolve between MLS and the Div1 USL teams to be akin to that of the Montreal Canadians and the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

"Some writers in this city are xenophobic about soccer," Peddie said.

Wonder who he means? Don't want go all X-Files on this, but I honestly would find it hard to argue too much with the comment. Some writers make their living focusing on only one or two sports. They feed their familys covering one or two sports. Sometimes they do it as knowledgable reporters, other times as entertaining sports journalists, or more often now-a-days as a combination of the two. Whichever. But none of them do it covering "soccer". They've spent a lifetime not following "soccer". They've built their expertise outside of "soccer". So if they're a little over the top hostile to the game, big surprise. It's too late for them to become experts of the game and there'll be no hiding it.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

"they plan on having 7-8 Canadians on 18-man roster"

Oh, goody.

"(okay, lets start the whining from the rest of the country. Remember, it was the Impact and the Whitecaps who forced the USL to drop the Canadian requirements)".

I'll jump in. Yes, it was the 'Caps and Impact. Believe the time line for that little scheme began sometime after the time the CSL got in bed with MLS and Kevin Pipe's comments comparing the relationship he expected to evolve between MLS and the Div1 USL teams to be akin to that of the Montreal Canadians and the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

Today the QMJHL is trying to get the Canadians to run a junior franchise in Montreal.

Does Pipe expect something similar?

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

"Some writers in this city are xenophobic about soccer," Peddie said.

Wonder who he means? Don't want go all X-Files on this, but I honestly would find it hard to argue too much with the comment. Some writers make their living focusing on only one or two sports. They feed their familys covering one or two sports. Sometimes they do it as knowledgable reporters, other times as entertaining sports journalists, or more often now-a-days as a combination of the two. Whichever. But none of them do it covering "soccer". They've spent a lifetime not following "soccer". They've built their expertise outside of "soccer". So if they're a little over the top hostile to the game, big surprise. It's too late for them to become experts of the game and there'll be no hiding it.

The problem is that those same reporters who cover soccer are mentors to the new brand of jounalists. Those same feelings about soccer are going to be passed on and remain for a long time to come.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

- they plan on having 7-8 Canadians on 18-man roster (okay, lets start the whining from the rest of the country. Remember, it was the Impact and the Whitecaps who forced the USL to drop the Canadian requirements).

I think there is absolutely, positively no surprise in this. I hate to sound like a broken record, but they just won’t have the cap space to bring over many Canadians from abroad and I would think half the starters will be American MLS veterans. And of those seven and eight Cdn players, I would assume three to be fringe players (ie the backup keeper, etc). The key is getting young guys into the TFC system, get them getting games in the reserve and the occassional run out with the first team for the top guys. That will hopefully give our teenagers a strong environment and help them develop. This is why potentially losing KOA is much more worrying to me than whether or not they can lure back Pesch, Radz or JDV.

Short term, I would rather the team win with a not-overly-Canadian lineup full of MLS veterans who are a proven commodity, rather than try to win with a bunch of MLS unproven USL Canadians in their prime — many of whom are not likely to be national team candidates anyway.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Richard

At the pro level who cares what the nationality of the players is - certainly doesn't seem to be an issue in most of the top European leagues - it is a business that seeks to put bums in seats at games, whatever it takes.

But it is rare that a national association puts so much stock into a professional team. That is the point. The CSA pushed so much for TFC and MLS in Toronto. Will it help the CSA?

Yes, it will help Canadian soccer at all levels.

Firstly it will raise the profile of the game not only in Toronto but across the country much more effectively and in a more enduring fashion than any one-time international tournament ever could.

Secondly it is a club (business) offering fulltime professional soccer playing employment opportunities in Canada at a level recognised by FIFA as first division internationally (which USL First Division is not). We have not had that since the days of the NASL and would not see it for a long time still without MLS no matter how hard folks might wish for a CSL2. Whilst Canadians will have to compete for jobs with TFC against players from the USA and elsewhere, just as they quite rightly have to do now with any other professional club anywhere in the world, before TFC there simply were no such opportunities in Canada.

Finally, I believe the prospect of an MLS 'franchise' as a tenant of the new national stadium was an important factor in securing the necessary funding to build the place. There certainly did not seem to be any private entrepeneur willing to pony up the necessary cash. Getting the stadium was also a key factor in securing WYC 2007.

Now if you think that Canadian soccer won't benefit from domestic fulltime soccer playing employment opportunities for our up-and-coming players, won't benefit from a brand new SSS in the country's largest city and population centre, won't benefit from having a Canadian based team in the top flight of North American soccer and won't benefit, albeit perhaps not quite as enduring, from WYC 2007 - well then I guess in your mind TFC won't do anything for soccer in Canada.

Firstly it will raise the profile of the game not only in Toronto but across the country much more effectively and in a more enduring fashion than any one-time international tournament ever could.

Secondly it is a club (business) offering fulltime professional soccer playing employment opportunities in Canada at a level recognised by FIFA as first division internationally (which USL First Division is not). We have not had that since the days of the NASL and would not see it for a long time still without MLS no matter how hard folks might wish for a CSL2. Whilst Canadians will have to compete for jobs with TFC against players from the USA and elsewhere, just as they quite rightly have to do now with any other professional club anywhere in the world, before TFC there simply were no such opportunities in Canada.

Finally, I believe the prospect of an MLS 'franchise' as a tenant of the new national stadium was an important factor in securing the necessary funding to build the place. There certainly did not seem to be any private entrepeneur willing to pony up the necessary cash. Getting the stadium was also a key factor in securing WYC 2007.

Now if you think that Canadian soccer won't benefit from domestic fulltime soccer playing employment opportunities for our up-and-coming players, won't benefit from a brand new SSS in the country's largest city and population centre, won't benefit from having a Canadian based team in the top flight of North American soccer and won't benefit, albeit perhaps not quite as enduring, from WYC 2007 - well then I guess in your mind TFC won't do anything for soccer in Canada.

Well said.

I also think as the profile is raised, hopefully with national TV, exposure, and the like, that both Montreal and Vancouver benefit to the point that they advance to that same level, therein allowing even more Canadians that opportunity. It's about time.

maybe, a major league team didn't help vancouver basketball ...

you cannot compare the nba to the mls. the nba did not have a "canadian content" requirement - which is simply the beginning of the differences.

further, although mr. saputo says he has no interest in the mls, fully expect vancouver and montreal to be part of the mls in the next 2 expansions - especially with top stadiums in place and the a-league attendance struggling to pay for them.

Peddie is peddling my line and thanks you know who that he has come to that conclusion as well.Hey never spoke to the guy and I assume he must have gotten that impression from others as well.

I am so convinced that with the media support we will become the no 1 summer sport in Toronto.Hey I like that word xenophobic. First of all I wonder how many on this bnoard agree with him and second "hey LM" can you explain what that word really means.If he does not know anybody else wants to volunteer please.

I believe the prospect of an MLS 'franchise' as a tenant of the new national stadium was an important factor in securing the necessary funding to build the place. There certainly did not seem to be any private entrepeneur willing to pony up the necessary cash. Getting the stadium was also a key factor in securing WYC 2007.

Well the 1st part and the last part have been brought up before and chaining the two together is simply inaccurate. Goverment funding was commited for a host stadium in the GTA for the U20 WYC. No little strings attaching it to the Argos, TFC or anybody else for that matter. It was a CSA venue ment to service Canada's largest city as a legacy of that tourny. Funding was commited by three levels of goverment, the tourny officialy awarded, and that was that.

That the CSA decided the moneys they'd raised through the public purse wasn't sufficient for what they wanted in a legacy stadium complex is quite another thing. Especially as it evolve into introducing MLS into Canada. A direct rival and threat to USL Div1 soccer. If that is in the best interest of Canadian football is still very open to debate, but a lot bigger heads than Cheeta's seem very cynical of the venture.

The CSA wanted something more than they could afford and got in bed with MLSE to get it. They needed MLSE to make their wish-list stadium project financialy sustainable and I honestly hope it all works out for the long term best. A sort of more good than harm scenario. But I've real doubts.

6-8 Canadians playing in the MLS instead of comparable 2nd tier European leagues (where they'd be anyway) doesn't help Canada one bit.

But if all this grows into a real football pyramid, multiple MLS entries from Canada and USL teams in new middle citys I'll eat my share of crow and give the Devil his due.

As it is though, think I won't leave any room for desert.

To believe that none of the things you list are interelated is taking an overly simplistic view.

Your interpretation of events and future projections is no doubt representative of a jaundiced view of the CSA. This jaundiced view may be justified in some respects but don't fool yourself into believing the whole Toronto SSS, push for MLS, MLSE involvement and WYC 2007 plan was jotted on the back of a cigarette box out of the blue by Kevan Pipe alone while hunched over a burger and fries at the local deli one day.

I assume from the tone and content of your post that you disapprove of the new stadium in Toronto and the expansion of MLS into Canada largely because it will do nothing for Canadian soccer. Since we know the prospects for a reincarnation of the old CSL are slim to none, what plan for the development of domestic professional soccer would you propose? More USL teams - that's an even lower lower level of play than the cynical comparison you made with MLS. More USL teams would be good but they won't do anything for real domestic full time professional player employment opportunities.

What would you do?

I can't believe that there even is a debate about the validity of the MLS in Toronto.Here we are we have our own "soccer" stadium funded by some very rich guys, who appear to be willing to do about anything to make this a great succes. We will have our Canadian team play their games including w.c. stuff. We already have the final of the u-20 than we will probably see the womesn's world cup.Nothing but good good things and still you guys.This Peddie guy is so right in so many things he said. yes our kids will now dream of playing for the local team. I have beenaround many many young Canadian kids who dreamed about playing for the Toronto Blizzard. I sensed and expereinced their dreams and aspirations. i saw the same kids represent Canada at the highest levels. This dream was huge in those days.That is what we need. As I have said so many times our lives are about our kids and this stadium will become part of many young Canadian soccer players. believe me I was there and I know. It is marvelous stuff and very motivating.

I am pulling a robert, it is entirely up to the media to feed those dreams or destroy them.

I still have my very strong suspicions about that Mcgowan gang and his secret brothers. Peddie is so right and I hope for the sake of our young players he can or they can sway or convince or educated those raccons. I doubt it but it is the biggest must around.

I suppose there's two ways of looking at this:

1) T-OFC will be a main focus for soccer and give a Canadian face to pro soccer.

This would be wonderful.

Although I dunno, I just dunno ....after 10ish years of NBA we have 2 Canadian NBA players. But after 27 years of MLB we have the highest number of Canadians playing in MLB since 1884 (just a date I picked),the last I heard over 30 Canadians played in at least 1 MLB game this season.

Will MLS be one or the other? Will an epiphany happen and the casual sports fan catch the soccer fever or not?

or

2) Will this be a bust as TFC tries to break into a cluttered GTA market competing for an audience with established MLB and CFL teams that average well over 20,000 (on the low end)in the same season MLS plays?

We'll just have to wait and see. It will be interseting to watch.

Does the CSA have to reach out to the rest of Canadian soccer after all this......well fer sure! (My little meaningless opinion)

Either way we just don't know.

Richard, I’ve been a supporter of a national stadium project pretty much since the idea was first introduced and tied to the WYC. It was good maneuvering by the CSA and CONCACAF for infrastructure money at a time when the federal treasury could be pried open. It only makes sense that if there is to be a national stadium, it has to be in Toronto for a hundred other reasons but most importantly for the potential of allowing 1/3 of all Canadians to be within a day trip of the venue. And that’s a very important something. So I’m all for a national stadium being in Toronto. (Even after the ridicules misadventures which have finally got the grounds moving at New Ex).

All along the CSA recognized they’ll never use a stadium enough to justify it’s building, or finance it’s long term operation and maintenance. That’s why they tried to tie into a partnership. With the U of T, York, the Argos and finally, MLSE. Eventually we got MLSE. Only after plans A,B, and C went off to circle the drain for a bit before going down the pipe.

So what would I do? That’s a 25,000 word response, Richard. Especially since we don’t know exactly what the CSA has done now do we? For all we know there’s a back room gentlemens agreement that Vancouver and Montreal will get priority during future MLS expansions. For all we know MLSE’s operation contract of New Ex is tied directly to the continuing presence of an MLS tennant. We don’t know. But if you’re not worried that the CSA brain trust in their rush to get a hold of that last financial life line (MLSE) hasn’t taken a long term view of what it means to the Vancouvers and Montreals of the world what having MLS in Canada means to their football clubs then I think you’ve lost the plot.

Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe I worry too much that this is all there is. That it’s the last step and not the 1st step towards a larger MLS presence in Canada. But I’ve seen not a thing from the CSA during this whole exercise to inspire confidence in either their long term vision or business expertise.

So to summarize;

MLS in Canada good

MLS in Toronto only bad

Nation Stadium in Toronto good

quote:Originally posted by john tv

If the media accepts us as a main stream Canadian sport we will be ok.

If not well "good bye soccer" and with it the dreams of many young and aspiring Canadians,male and female.!

The media will accept soccer as a main stream sport when the main stream accepts soccer.

99% of the media is for a profit business. They will cover what their advertising #'s show will sell the most and at the most $. Reporters, writers, or sportscasters cover what they are assigned not what they choose to cover.

Does Rob Black chose to cover baseball, CFL, horse jumping, tennis, golf and figure skating and all he covers because those are his interests or because his boss gives him a schedule?

Soccer will be front page news or lead off stories when it is demanded by viewers,readers not forced upon them.

Bell Globemedia, Sun Media or the local AM radio station don't decide to cover something because they like it, but because that's what brings the largest audience, readers and space or time sells more if the #'s are high.

Oh my Gawd how did I allow myself to get sucked into this pit?

Wish TFC success by-the-by.

I'm quite shocked at the progress of the stadium so far...still dissapointed that's is so "cookie cutter" but beggars can't be choosers.

I also didn't know that the Montreal Impact were actually considering joining MLS when it launched. I heard Mr Saputo say that MLS is something his club "will continue to assess" as time goes by.

The million dollar question is...how many fans will the new club average, and will it match MLSE's projections...(especially if the team doesn't do well on the field)

I guess we had some big numbers in soccer some time ago, so obviously there is a tremendous interest. It seems we have oddles of stations showing just about any game you want to see.We have more kids playing soccer than any other sport and even on the senior level it is huge as well.

I strongly believe that with this stadium these xenox guys will have to find a way to make it look bad and they will try.

They were experts at it in the past and many soccer afficiado were very strongly convinced that there was this organized xenox thing.

Clive Toy,John MacMahon,Jim Hubay and many others like them knew that this was the case. I am just jumping the gun and try to make sure that these raccoons are weeded out. Oh ja that advertising thing, I guess you have to buy your way into the media,sorry I forgot that.

Can anybody explain how that works. i suppose that the advertising /marketing guys tell the editor to allow x dollars in print for every dollar spent and maybe they can even tell them to take it easy they may loose them as an advertiser. Is this the way it works, it seems!

I took the time to look up that xenophobic thing. Well borders on the raccon side.

It says,fear of strangers or foreigners.

Well does that mean that because of that fear they refuse or purposely or deliberately or intentionaly or freightened of or think they represent the majority that have the same feelings they act accordingly.

I was once at a Lynx media conference and at that time Nicole really lambasted the media in no uncertain terms and that in the presence of the Star and others. Norm Dacosta took it very personally and the Star never ever gave the Lynx the break they needed. Without the Star, nothing happens.

I just hope that these media guys reading his comments will not take the Dacosta way and do it again.It is extremely dangerous to criticize the media and certainly at these levels.

I like that word,but hey we won a gold medal in soccer in 1904 and the father of Canadian hockey is a soccer guy going back to 1873.

Lyon Mackenzie King was a great soccer player and anyway xeno what.

Xeno out of touch that is!

Archived