USL D1 - May 22 - Vancouver vs Rochester [R]

DJT

Vancouver Whitecaps (3-1-0, 2nd place) vs. Rochester Raging Rhinos (5-0-0, 1st place)

Monday, May 22, 2006 - 7:00 PM PDT

Swangard Stadium (natural grass), Burnaby, BC

Radio, Audio Webcasts:

[*]MOJO 730 AM Vancouver

[*]Fickle 93.3 FM Rochester (free registration required)

Text updates:

Whitecaps match tracker

1st vs. 2nd. Vancouver are 3-0-0 at home with 6 goals scored and 0 against. Rochester are 5-0-0 away from home with 9 goals scored and 1 against (all of their matches so far have been away from home as they wait for their new stadium to be ready for their June 3 home opener). Certainly the highlight match of the USL D1 season so far.

Pre-match articles from the last few days:

[*]Victoria Day doubleheader - Vancouver Whitecaps, May 19

[*]Rhinos face Vancouver in battle of undefeated teams - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, May 22

[[ To Blue & White Army: I figure you'll ask, so I'll answer now - yes, I plan to record the Vancouver Webcast. ]]

quote:Originally posted by analyst

I wonder if Jordan will score his first against Rochester. In the off-season, the Caps traded Antoniuk to Montreal and he has scored twice so far.

JJ certainly needs to bag a goal tonight, otherwise, that'll be five straight games without a goal which wouldn't be the form of an MVP striker.

Halftime:

Vancouver 0 Rochester 0

Sounded like a fairly balanced first half. Both teams had a couple of good chances, with Vallow making a great save on the single best one by Matondo.

Final:

Vancouver 0 Rochester 0

Not a boring game for 0-0. I missed some of the second half, but Vancouver seemed to have the better chances from what I did hear, though Rochester had a flurry in the box in the dying seconds of injury time.

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Had a mention by the commentators, who referred to me as "Andrew". ;)

Yeah, I caught that. Isn't Andrew one of the SouthSiders who regularly calls in under a different nickname?

I wonder how many of those e-mails are real. In at least one match last season, fans of the opposing team were sending fake e-mails, claiming to be from all sorts of places around the world. The e-mails were read on-air as if they were real, making it look like the Whitecaps had fans listening from all over the place.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Yeah, I caught that. Isn't Andrew one of the SouthSiders who regularly calls in under a different nickname?

Yup, Morbital.

I wonder how many of those e-mails are real. In at least one match last season fans of the opposing team were sending fake e-mails, claiming to be from all sorts of places around the world. The e-mails were read on-air as if they were real, making it look like the Whitecaps had fans listening from all over the place.

Hahah, never heard of that! :D

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Yup, Morbital.

Guess who the first caller was tonight? I think I hear him every post-match. Interesting that it seemed like an entertaining game (which the commentators kept repeating), with the Whitecaps getting most of the chances, yet Morbital still complained about "Lilleyball" (his term), in particular that the Whitecaps didn't get enough players forward. It was nice to hear that point of view because I know it is common amongst fans yet the commentators rarely question Lilley (and when they do it doesn't seem to go beyond wondering about subs).

quote:Hahah, never heard of that! :D
That's because no one realized it. I just happened to be reading their forum during the game in question and they were all laughing at their antics.

Whitecaps match report:

MEN TIE ROCHESTER RAGING RHINOS

May 22, 2006 - Vancouver Whitecaps 0

Rochester Raging Rhinos 0

Monday, May 22, 2006

Swangard Stadium, Burnaby, BC (attendance: 4,839)

Overview:

A battle of the league's top two teams ended with honours even as the Whitecaps and Rochester Raging Rhinos fought to an entertaining 0-0 tie. The Caps held the balance of chances on a rain soaked night, but couldn't beat the league's top goalkeeper Scott Vallow. Vancouver however does become the first team to put a dent in Rochester's record, as the Rhinos had won all five of their previous matches coming in.

Goalkeeper Tony Caig recorded his second straight shutout, making three saves on eight shots, and was named the UMBRO Whitecaps Player of the Game. The Caps remain undefeated at 3-0-2 for 11 points and remain in second place in the USL First Division. Rhinos go to 5-0-1 for 16 points, keeping them comfortably in top spot.

The Whitecaps conclude their three-game home stand on Friday, May 26, when they host the Seattle Sounders in a 7:00 p.m. start at Swangard Stadium.

Scoring Summary:

No goals

Game Notes:

Tony Caig made his first big save as a Whitecap at 14', as he dove to stop a 22-yard shot from Rhinos midfielder Greg Howes. Caig was also in good position to stop a diving header from John Ball at 46'.

The greater goalkeeping heroics were performed by Rhinos keeper Scott Vallow. The league's number one made a miraculous reaction save off a point-blank header by Sita-Taty Matondo at 33' after a nice cross by Martin Nash on the left. Vallow had earlier denied Matondo on a quick 20-yard shot at 24', and then made a diving grab to stop a 28-yarder from Joey Gjertsen at 32'.

Rochester also had some luck on their side, as at 58' Alfredo Valente sent a header just over the bar from in close, and then at 65' a looping header from Martin Nash was just barely touched against the crossbar by the keeper.

Whitecaps midfielder Tony Donatelli came off injured in the first half.

Anthony Noreiga subbed on and played defence, with Adrian Cann moving up into midfield.

All six of Rochester's games so far this season have been on the road, while they wait for their new 17,000 seat stadium, PAETAC Park, to open next month.

Midfielder Martin Nash has played 41 consecutive games, spanning three seasons.

Defender Steve Klein has played every minute for Vancouver this season,

Whitecaps: 1.Tony Caig - 3.Steve Klein, 4.Adrian Cann, 8.Steve Kindel 20.Dave Morris - 2.Jeff Clarke, 14.Tony Donatelli (25.Anthony Noreiga 28'), 7.Martin Nash, 9.Alfredo Valente (6.Jay Alberts 78') - 17.Joey Gjertsen (26.Jason Jordan 58'), 19.Sita-Taty Matondo (11.David Testo 58')

Rochester: 24.Scott Vallow - 4.Kenney Bertz, 15.Frankie SanFilippo, 20.Scott Palguta, 26.Nate Craft (2.Ricky Lewis 90') - 13.John Ball (29.Danny Kramer 75'), 9.Greg Howes, 10.Johnny Menyongar, 18.Aaran Lines - 7.Matthew Delicâte, 23.Charles Gbeke (8.Connally Edozien 58')

Shots: Vancouver 12 Rochester 8

Saves: Vancouver 3 Rochester 3

Fouls: Vancouver 16 Rochester 23

Offside: Vancouver 3 Rochester 3

Corner Kicks: Vancouver 6 Rochester 0

Referee: Silviu Petrescu

Cautions:

Vancouver: Valente 54'

Rochester: Gbeke 56'

It was good game to watch, despite the rain.

Tony Caig was named Man of the Match, for his one save. That means no-one stood out for the Caps, although Matondo played well before being subbed out, and Klein was very solid, and Noriega did well in his 30 minutes of play. Clarke was horrible, he got dispossessed several times by diminutive Menyongar. Nash was brutal - 4 really bad passes.

Menyongar was a pleasure to watch. Former Whitecap Charlie suitcase Gbeke did well until he tired and started to foul people.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I disagree Richard. It's hard to get any kind of attack going when you have two jack rabbits up front and no-one to hold the ball. Overlapping runs by full-backs and crosses into the box are not what I consider "defensive play".

I wish Jason Jordan would realize he does not have blazing speed and start coming back to the ball - both making himself an option for the midfield and defenders as well as creating a ton of space for anyone of the other 3 strikers who have speed in behind him. Countless times Morris and/or Valente would have the ball on the right side and Jordan would literally be on the complete opposite side of the field level with the defence marking two defenders. The way he is playing, he is absolutely useless. He's floating waiting for the defenders to make a mistake or for that 1 in a 100 perfect ball over the top rather than creating chances. I would venture to say that Jordan scored his goals last year, because of Corazzin and his ability to create space and draw defenders up the field. Now the caps have 4 forwards all looking for that space that isn't being created. I should also point out that Gjertson is the exception to this as he creates changes everytime he touches the ball; but he could be up there by himself. Next game, everyone take note at how far apart the 2 strikers are.

The wingbacks did well to make overlapping runs and whipped a few great crosses in with no one in the middle. Specifically Dave Morris who has had 2 rock solid games.

Other notes:

- Cann is not a midfielder.

- Noreiga played great at the back. He is a monster in the air, but still a bit shaky/panecy with his distribution.

One thing that pissed me off is that Caig was named man of the match, or "Whitecaps Man of the Match"… Aside from the one save, which I didn't see, he did not have to do anything. There was no question that Rochester keeper, Scott Vallow, was man of the match. There is only one man of the match and we don't need to make it a whitecaps player just for the hell of it. Give credit where credit is due. It's a slap in the face to Scott Vallow who played fantastic; who should also get more credit for the draw, not just for his saves, but for the 25 minutes he gobbled up handling the ball. 90 second goal kicks… drives me nuts.

Friday - Seattle @ home, here is my starting 11:

Caig

Morris Klien Cann Kindel (sadly)

Clarke

Valente Nash

Donatelli

Gjertson Noreiga (or Wicks, we gotta mix it up)

First sub - Jay Alberts for Nash - I'm loving Jay Alberts substitute performances. It's too bad he's not fit for 90 minutes.

Guest Jeffery S.

I am sure, knowing Caig's reputation, that the save you say you didn't see was one hell of a save, and fully deserving of the man of the match distinction. Glad to have these EPL third stringers in there for the "confidence" boosting, but also for the awards they bring to the club.

Tell me Jeffrey S., which Whitecaps (because the award is for a Caps player) was more deserving of the award for the game?

Nice to see that we have here a very knowledgeable poster who can comment a game without having seen it...........

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Tell me Jeffrey S., which Whitecaps (because the award is for a Caps player) was more deserving of the award for the game?

Nice to see that we have here a very knowledgeable poster who can comment a game without having seen it...........

Well, I'm right on board with RDA's analysis. The fact is that the 'Caps had nothing going up front. JJ is looking way out of his league. As a poacher, he needs to move around a lot more, and create his chances through movement (much like an Inzaghi, or a van Nistlerooy). He just refuses to move, or hold the ball up.

And Caig's save isn't a man of the match save. I don't care what it looks like, the game is 90 minutes long, and one cannot garner MOM based on one save. Vallow made a series of great saves, as well as playing confidently uner Whitecaps pressure.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Well, I'm right on board with RDA's analysis. The fact is that the 'Caps had nothing going up front. JJ is looking way out of his league. As a poacher, he needs to move around a lot more, and create his chances through movement (much like an Inzaghi, or a van Nistlerooy). He just refuses to move, or hold the ball up.

And Caig's save isn't a man of the match save. I don't care what it looks like, the game is 90 minutes long, and one cannot garner MOM based on one save. Vallow made a series of great saves, as well as playing confidently uner Whitecaps pressure.

Loyola's point here is not whether Caig's save was worth the man of the match award or not but rather that most football experts tend to think they need to actually watch a game, team or player to comment on them but not our lovable Jeffery. Must be nice to have such psychic powers that you can see a game in your mind from thousands of kilometers away.

which Whitecaps (because the award is for a Caps player) was more deserving of the award for the game?

For what it's worth, the Whitecaps player of the match as chosen by the radio announcers was Dave Morris. They picked Caig as a close second.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Loyola's point here is not whether Caig's save was worth the man of the match award or not but rather that most football experts tend to think they need to actually watch a game, team or player to comment on them but not our lovable Jeffery. Must be nice to have such psychic powers that you can see a game in your mind from thousands of kilometers away.

To be fair, the majority of discussion about players on this forum is based on little more than reading match reports from Europe. I think the objections to Jeffrey's comments are based more on his tone than anything else.

A reminder to all that you can listen to the match broadcasts live or after B&WA or I post them (4 of the 5 Whitecaps matches are still available). It's not the same as watching them, but it's the next best thing and beats text match reports.

DJT it is a simple question: Who instead of Caig should've been named MOTM? I want a hear Jeffrey S. analysis, knowledgeable analysis I should say. He was quick to diminish Caig's game but would Jeffrey choose if a member of the MOTM selection comitee?

In the case of the A-League teams I don't think people here speculate all that much because we have the chance to see the players but my point is more than that.

In another thread Jeffrey S. was quick to defend Josh Wicks after he conceded a supposely bad goal and than he's quick to jump on Caig for his MOTM award. Jeffrey S. subjectivity in those thread bothers me because he's a friend of Wicks.........

Guest Jeffery S.

Nice to see he was given Man of the Match for a save that another poster here who DID see the match did NOT see.

So what is worse, me commenting on a save that I did not see, not being there, or some of you commenting on a save that, even though being there, you did not see?

Given that those who were there cannot agree whether, in fact, he made a save or not, I don't think that my opinion, having not been there and not seen the save, is any less relevant.

As DJT has rightly said, Grizzly, if you want me to make a list of you commenting out of your ass on things you have never seen but read in some report somewhere will you be honest enough to abide by your own standards and shut up?

They are not my standards by the way. Its a silly soccer forum, I can post whatever I bloody well like, and at least I've been a Caps fan since the early 70s, unlike some here who couldn't give a damn about the team and only want use this board to get experience as thought police.

For what it's worth, the Whitecaps player of the match as chosen by the radio announcers was Dave Morris. They picked Caig as a close second.

To be fair, the majority of discussion about players on this forum is based on little more than reading match reports from Europe. I think the objections to Jeffrey's comments are based more on his tone than anything else.

A reminder to all that you can listen to the match broadcasts live or after B&WA or I post them (4 of the 5 Whitecaps matches are still available). It's not the same as watching them, but it's the next best thing and beats text match reports.

This is true in many cases DJT yet it is also true that in most cases there are at least a few Voyageurs who are able to watch the games live in person or on tv. In previous years I was one of the few to be able to watch Stalteri and JDG in the Bundesliga and probably the only person to see Jazic play in Russia. Maybe if other posters had watched some of these games they would have had different opinions then I did but since they were not able to see them most did not argue with my opinions. Likewise we have several people able to see our Scandanavian players and we have to believe their opinions to a certain extent because we can't see the matches ourselves (and I have to say these people seem to be very knowledgeable so I appreciate their viewpoints and am inclined to believe them). In most cases we see how these players play for the MNT and can have some idea whether the reports are true even though there are certainly some players who don't play as well for us as for their club, (DeRosario or even DeGuzman for example) possibly because the MNT games are at a higher level than their club games or because they play a different role in the MNT than at their club. Jeffrey S. is one of the few able to see most JDG games at Deportivo and even though I can well conceive that I might have differing opinions to him on the games since I can not see them I do not argue with him about them and have to accept to a certain extent his opinions because I have no other source of information.

On the other hand here we have Whitecaps games in which we have a fair number of posters able to see them live and others occasionally able to see televised matches. Yet Jeffrey feels free to call a certain keeper crap who he has never seen play. It is my personal opinion that most 3rd string Premiership keepers who have been starters in the English 2nd tier and Scottish Premiership are probably a good level for USL. However, one is judged on one's performances regardless of where one has previously played. If Caig plays poorly than it wouldn't matter if he was a former starting keeper for Barca. It is hard for me to value the opinion of someone who has never seen him play when other posters who have seen him play have differing opinions and Jeffrey at least in his mind thinks he is a friend of Caig's competition. While certain people who attended the game say that Caig should not have been MOM because of one save (a valid point) this does not mean he played crappy only that he wasn't busy. If I am able to attend the Caps game in Montreal I will be able to form my own opinion of Caig. Until then I will trust those guys who are able to see him play. Jeffrey can post what he wants about thought police, etc. Talking out of your ass about something or someone you know nothing about is still talking out of your ass about something or someone you know nothing about. I also don't recall anywhere on this thread where Loyola claims that Caig should have been MOM only his astonishment at the claim by someone who did not see the match that Caig shouldn't be MOM. Oh yeah and I am also still waiting for Jeffrey's evidence that GL is a CSA sockpuppet because he is getting or hoping to get some contracts from them as a lawyer. I am no thought police, Jeffrey can post what he wants but if they are stupid and ignorant comments on matches he hasn't seem I don't think I will be the only one on the forum calling a spade a spade.

I almost forgot about my sister's situation, you know the one according to Jeffrey who is engaged to a certain Tam Nsaliwa. I must say I am quite honoured to welcome Tam to my family and even though I previously based my opinion on him on games that I saw him play in the 2nd BL, I am now throwing caution to the wind following Jeffrey's example. Since we (Tam and I) are now obviously best buddies he can do no wrong and should be signing with "oh my God" Barca in the near future. I almost forgot to mention that according to Jeff, welcoming Tam to my family has turned me into a psychotic. Too bad I don't have a sister.

Guest Jeffery S.

I am not commenting at all about the games; rather I am doing what the guys at the games are doing, basing judgements on everything but on the field performance.

Which is why I ironize on the Caps supporters who are trying to make Wicks or Serge into the devils and treat Caig as the team's saviour, when the real on the field results do not justify one or the other opinion. It is pure wanabee attitude (anything from the Isles is better than anything we might already have, which is the philosophy of losers), it is unjust, and shows what a pathetic attitude some fans can have about players who have done a job for their teams.

Which is why I defend playing the younger guy, the cheaper guy, and if possible, the Canadian keeper (Djekanovic). Because I favour the idea that USL teams develop Canadian talent. Which these guys do not care about in the least, in spite of posting about the Caps on a Canadian soccer forum. For me the news of the year from the Caps is that Sita is getting time and showing well.

As for the whole bit about Gian-luca, you missed the point entirely. I never said he was in with the CSA, I simply argued that he posted AS IF he was bucking for benefit from them. As if he was on staff at their press and communications office. Or on hire, like part of a buzz and wire contract. In other words, that he had a tic that always meant that when the initials came up, he would be there, excessively bent on licking the CSA butt. Many on this board have agreed with me on this openly, and few more have coincided with me via personal messages.

In the end it comes down to tastes. Some prefer to be critical in the face of on the field failure, others prefer to be supportive. Most combine the two. I think that G-L was radically given over to an incorrect identification of the CSA with "everything good and worth defending about Canada".

The funny thing is that after being called on this attitude of never tolerating anything remotely critical of the CSA, he has toned down entirely. Which I appreciate. 'Cause it was nauseating.

How many Saarbrucken games have you seen this year, for you to come on with such an extremely favourable view of Nsaliwa? Maybe he got a bad shake from the national program, but if he does not transfer out of the team, that is if no other Bundesliga 2 shows interest, then I will have to think that maybe you have a sister you don't know about.

Where did I say that Caig should have the MOM award Jeffrey S.? Show me where I said that?

The guy did not see the save because he wasn't paying attention to the game at that point if I understand correctly his post.

Your bias is quite evident and it's in favour of your friends, you could at least admit it.

BTW, could you give me an example of a poster who said that Caig was the savior? I've only read posts about Caig being a more commanding and credible figure in goal for the Caps.

Archived