Canadians in Norway (Tippeligaen)

NFF has drawn the 1st ordinary round of the Norwegain cup. Teams in the 2nd and 3rd division have played 2 qualifying rounds to get here and are now joined by teams from Division 1 and Tippeligaen. The 1st round is a single-game elimination; the draw is weighted to minimise travel and the lower division team will play at home. The games will take place on May 10 and 11.

Teams with Canadians:

May 10

Høland – Lillestrøm

Kvik – Rosenborg

Grovfjord – Tromsø

Åkra – Haugesund,

Førde – Sogndal

Lofoten – Harstad (Randy Samuel's old team)

May 11

Surnadal – Molde

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grande and Friend both from start for Molde; looks like Sandro in central midfield with some defensive responsibilities: stop Brann's kaptain and playmaker Martin Andresen. The game is just underway.

Bernier from start, Ademolu on the bench for Tromsø.

Occéan likely to start for Lillestrøm.

Molde hosted Brann to start the 5th round; both teams have exceeded expectations early in the season, but the visitors have been very impressive and came in as favourites. Molde fielded both their Canadians with Friend up front as always, and Sandro Grande proving his midfield versatility by starting in the centre as opposed to the wing as last week. It was a very hard-fought match, but Brann were a little more accurate and went to the half up 1-0. Molde pressed hard in the second half and Friend must be black and blue from all the duels he fought in the visitors' box, but in the end it was Brann who got another goal on a counterattack in the final minute of play. Just before that Friend was given a yellow card after kicking away the ball in frustration when a call went against him.

TV2 named Friend man of the match.

In Tromsø, the hosts were in deep trouble with 4 straight losses to start the season, and things looked much worse when stalwart Patrice Bernier went down with an injury just past the 30 minute mark. To make matters worse, Ole Martin Årst missed a penalty kick in the second half. Tromsø put on Stephen Ademolu in the 78th minute as they pressed hard for the win, but visitors Odd Grenland held firm, and the end result 0-0 was probably a fair one. Tromsø were quite relieved to pick up their first point of the season, and coach Normark has at least one more chance to turn things around.

No word yet on the extent of Bernier's injury.

In Hamar, Lillestrøm went down 1-0 early to hosts HamKam. The visitors went on the attack after that and this game featured a number of tall players on both sides of the pitch going after high balls. Olivier Occéan missed at least 2 glorious opportunities to score, and must be starting to feel a little frustrated. He went the full 90,, however, and Lillestrøm were able to pull out the victory on the strength of 2 2nd half penalties.

One again, there was a controversial referees descision, as Lillestrøm's first penalty was the result of a bad call.

Rosenborg visit Stabæk tomorrow.

Patrice Bernier's injury does not look to be serious. It's a mild hamstring pull, and he may even be back for round 6 this weekend.

The numbers from yesterday:

100% Fotball:

Sandro Grande: 5

Rob Friend: 7 (Man of the Match)

Patrice Bernier: 5

Olivier Occéan: 4

VG:

Sandro Grande: 4

Rob Friend: 6

Patrice Bernier: 6

Olivier Occéan: 4

Dagbladet:

Rob Friend: 6

Olivier Occéan: 5

TV2/Nettavisen:

Rob Friend: 7 (Man of the Match)

Olivier Occéan: 6

Lars will be in goal as Rosenborg meet Stabæk later today to complete round 5.

Stabæk and Rosenborg played one of the better matches of the young Norwegian season today. The pitch at Nadderud Stadium in Bærum was in great shape, and both teams seemed determined to take advantage. Stabæk had the stronger 1st half, and saw some great scoring opportunities foiled by Lars Hirschfeld, who may have played his best game so far in the Rosenborg kit. The game evened out in the second, and Rosenborg took the lead. Stabæk fought back, however, and created some more glorious opportunities before getting the equaliser. Both teams kept attacking until the end, but the game ended in a 1-1 tie.

Lars gets a 7 and "Man of the Match" from VG, a 7 from TV2/Nettavisen and a 6 from Dagbladet. 100% Fotball does not have ratings published yet.

The standings:

P 	W 	T 	L 	Goals 	Pts

Brann 		5 	3 	2 	0 	8-3 	11

Lillestrøm 	5 	3 	2 	0 	10-6 	11

Stabæk 		5 	2 	3 	0 	7-3 	9

Sandefjord 	5 	2 	2 	1 	6-6 	8

Lyn 		5 	2 	2 	1 	6-7 	8

Ham-Kam 	5 	2 	1 	2 	7-5 	7

Odd Grenland 	5 	1 	4 	0 	4-2 	7

Molde 		5 	2 	1 	2 	4-4 	7

Rosenborg 	5 	1 	3 	1 	7-5 	6

Vålerenga 	5 	1 	2 	2 	3-5 	5

Start 		5 	1 	2 	2 	2-5 	5

Fredrikstad 	5 	0 	3 	2 	3-6 	3

Viking 		5 	0 	2 	3 	3-7 	2

Tromsø 		5 	0 	1 	4 	1-7 	1

Next Round:

Sunday 7/5 (6. round)

Brann - Stabæk (18.00

Rosenborg - Sandefjord (18.00)

Lyn - Tromsø (18.00)

Fredrikstad - Vålerenga (18.00)

Odd Grenland - Ham-Kam (18.00)

Lillestrøm - Start (20.00)

Monday 8/5 (6. round)

Viking - Molde (19.00)

Also on Sunday, Haugesund host Strømsgodset and Sogndal host Moss in Division 1

Guest Jeffery S.

Could I ask a question I am sure a lot of us might have?

What is going on with Rosenborg?

Or better, considering they won 14 leagues in a row, how could they have come out last season at the edge of relegation even for a good part of the season? This year they are not looking so strong either. How is it they've lost their dominance, considering that financially they must be the strongest club in Norway by far, with all those Champions and UEFA revenues to boot?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

What is going on with Rosenborg?

Or better, considering they won 14 leagues in a row, how could they have come out last season at the edge of relegation even for a good part of the season? This year they are not looking so strong either. How is it they've lost their dominance, considering that financially they must be the strongest club in Norway by far, with all those Champions and UEFA revenues to boot?

It's a good question; in a nutshell, they got fat and lazy - management, that is. Throughout all of the 90s and into this decade, their were guided by legendary coach Nils Arne Eggen. Eggen was a phenomenal coach, a great motivator, but the had two major weaknesses: a total, one-sided adherence to attacking soccer, and complete loyalty to his starting 11 to the detriment of the other players in the squad.

This attacking soccer was what gave them their dominance at home. No other team could stand against it, because Rosenborg would come at you constantly, relentlessly, with speed and exhuberance, through the middle, along the wings, on the ground, in the air - it never stopped. While this style also won them some famous european victories, it was also their downfall, because they simply were not good enough to play that style against, say Juventus in Torino or PSG in Paris - back when those were two of the most feared teams in Europe.

The loyalty to the starting 11 was commendable for two reasons: he got the same loyalty back, and those players knew instinctively what the others were going to do on the pitch. But the flip side is that as those players aged, the ones coming up behind them had not had the opportunity to play, and were unable to fill their shoes. And so Rosenborg became the Norwegian version of Real Madrid - they bought players, often based on their name rather than suitability for the squad. Even today, the two most reliable and important players in the squad are 37-year-old Roar Strand and 39-year-old Ørjan Berg. Although both of them are much injured these days, the players who replaced them have not been able to truly fill their shoes. Per Ciljan Skjelbred, who burst on the scene as an 18-year-old last year is probably the first junior to make the RBK team since Steffen Iversen in '97.

The other thing is mismanagement. When Eggen was set to retire, the team went out and got their coach: Åge Hareide. Hareide started the process of renewal, and instituted a more defense-oriented style, designed to try to get more success in Europe. That year went pretty well, with a convincing Tippeligaen win, and advancement to the UEFA Cup round of 16. But then Hareide suddenly quit to become national team coach, and the team paniced. First they hired assistant Ola By Rise to coach, with Eggen back as an "advisor". While they still won the league, the cracks began to show, and By Rise must be one of the few coaches to be fired after winning a national championship. Then his assistant, Per Joar Hansen was hired as coach, and he had a truly miserable campaign last year. Throughout all of this, By Rise and Hansen were constantly reminded that they were more or less caretaker coaches, while management was waiting for their first choice, Trond Sollied, to become available.

Hansen's miserable campaign last year forced their hand, however, and when he quit they could no longer wait for Sollied and went out and hired current coach Høgmo.

That may be the turning point for the team; we'll see. Høgmo is a good coach, but this will still be a rebuilding year, as he gets rid of some underachiving players and brings in some that will fit his philosophy. I look for Rosenborg to be sellers when the summer transfer window opens, and people like Torstein Helstad, Frode Johnsen and Ståle Stensås will be on the block. In return, Høgmo will be looking for a holding midfielder who can not only play the defensive role when needed, but who has the vision and skill to quarterback the attack.

Just a question...Isn't Josue Mayard in Norway as well???

quote:Originally posted by Start fan in exile

Preseason is over in Norway, and the season starts on Sunday, April 9 with a full slate of matches.

There are now 7 Canadians in the top level of Norwegian soccer. Here's a quick preview of their teams' prospects:

Lars Hirschfeld and Rosenborg and Olivier Occéan and Lillestrøm are both expected to challenge for top spot this year. Both teams are very strong and have had excellent preseasons. In both cases the Canadian players will be important to their team's success.

Lars has won the starting GK job from Norwegian national team keeper Espen Johnsen. Johnsen is one of the best pure shot stoppers in European soccer, but has received much (justified) criticism for his inability to control his area and for the occasional monumental blunder. Rosenborg will be looking to Lars to provide more stability at the back - which he has amply demonstrated so far this preseason.

Olivier is being touted as the final piece of the puzzle that will catapult Lillestrøm to the top of the standings. They are a solid, well organised team from front to back and if Occéan finds the back of the net like he did his first season with Odd they will be very difficult to stop.

Tromsø has 3 Canadians. The most important to his team's fortunes is Patrice Bernier who should start pretty much every game in the midfield. He will play a defensive role and should be kept busy supporting Tromsø's somewhat suspect defense. Kenny Stamatopoulos is battling Knut Borch for the starting job in goal. Borch was considered one of Norway's hottest GK prospects until injuries ruined most of last season for him (opening the door for Lars at the time). If Borch is healthy and returns to form, Kenny will spend a lot of time on the bench. As it happens, though, Borch was injured again in Tromsø's last preseason match, and Kenny may stand on opening day. Stephen Ademolu will see lots of action, but mostly off the bench. Tromsø has decent depth in attack, and consider Stephen a joker who can come in and turn a game around. Overall, Tromsø should have enough quality to avoid the relegation battle this year, but will likely finish no higher than the middle of the pack.

Molde recently acquired Sandro Grande, so will still have a Canadian even after Rob Friend departs for Heerenveen this summer. Sandro should see some playing time both as a starter and off the bench with Molde but it is still too early to say how key he will be with the team. Many think Molde's chances of surviving this year will leave with Rob Friend this summer. The big striker is feared and respected around the league, and Molde are very thin up front. It will be a rough year for the team, and they will have to fight for every point. A small consolation will be the chance to play in the UEFA Cup as Norwegian Cup champions.

In the second tier, the Norwegian 1st division, there are still 4 Canadians. Marco Reda returns to Sogndal and Chris Pozniak, Milan Kojic, and Nikola Budalic all ply their trade with FK Haugesund. Haugesund are newly promoted from the 2nd division, and will be in tough to keep their place this year. Sogndal finished in the middle of the pack last year, and should finish in the upper half of the table this year bu† are a long shot for promotion.

quote:Originally posted by darkchild

Just a question...Isn't Josue Mayard in Norway as well???

You're right! I didn't know he was Canadian, but I see now that the 26-year-old defender from Montreal came to Pors Grenland in Division 1 in the off season from the Whitecaps. He had stints with the Lynx and Impact in the USL as well as Dallas and Kansas City in MLS.

In Pors' opening match at home to Sogndal, he played 90, scored what proved to be the winning goal, and scored a 6 in the 100% Fotball ratings in a 3-1 win.

Josue had a much rougher 2nd match, as did the whole team. They lost 4-0 away to Moss and Josue played 90 to a rating of 3

The team was back on track in round 3, winning 2-0 at home to Sparta Sarpsborg; Josue rated a 6 for 90 minutes work again.

Last round they lost again away from home, 2-0 at Løv-Ham, although they should be encouraged by the fact that it was an even match that could easily have gone the other way. Josue once again scored a 6 for 90 minutes work.

This coming Sunday, Pors are at home to Hødd.

Guest Jeffery S.

That Rosenborg review was excellent Start Fan, really appreciated.

You are suggesting, from what I gather, that the best youth player development in Norway is NOT happening in Bergen? I think a big club has to have kids coming up through their ranks as the level of committment to the team is much higher, their understanding of the playing style greater, and they end up being cheaper to boot. But eventually, and maybe a bit sooner than later, they have to be given playing time.

Let's hope Lars can be part of a Rosenborg back in Europe, I am not saying I want them to win the league, just be a better representative of their tradition than they were last year.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Wasn't Mayard capped by Haiti a few years ago ?

That's probably why he hasn't been mentioned on the Canadian site.

I'll leave that answer to someone else [8D] I have no idea. I'll be happy to add Mayard to my updates - or not - whatever the consensus is.

As for player development in Trondheim (Brann are the team from Bergen...;) ), no that is not where it's been taking place. Oslo has been leading in that area, and the Tippeligaen team with the best youth programme is Lyn. Although Start has the highest number of local players - young and old - in their squad; but under the current coach development has stopped up a bit.

Rosenborg fell into the trap of being afraid to let young players have their chance, as the pressure to win was so great.

Guest Jeffery S.

I'll leave that answer to someone else [8D] I have no idea. I'll be happy to add Mayard to my updates - or not - whatever the consensus is.

As for player development in Trondheim (Brann are the team from Bergen...;) ), no that is not where it's been taking place. Oslo has been leading in that area, and the Tippeligaen team with the best youth programme is Lyn. Although Start has the highest number of local players - young and old - in their squad; but under the current coach development has stopped up a bit.

Rosenborg fell into the trap of being afraid to let young players have their chance, as the pressure to win was so great.

Geez, Trondheim, not Bergen. Good on you. Am slowly learning, I think soon I could pass a Norwegian citizenship test.

Forum etiquette would dictate that once a player has been capped by another country, he is no longer considered Canadian and not included in our Canadian international discussion.

That's assuming that we are discussing the Haitian international.

Thanks for the offer.:)

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Forum etiquette would dictate that once a player has been capped by another country, he is no longer considered Canadian and not included in our Canadian international discussion.

That's assuming that we are discussing the Haitian international.

Thanks for the offer.:)

That settles it, then. Josue Mayard - or at least a player named Josue Mayard - played for Haiti in the Gold Cup 2003 qualifying (http://www.rsssf.com/tablesc/caribe02.html). So I'll not consider him a Canadian for the purposes of these updates. :)

Still no word if Patrice Bernier will play tomorrow; his hamstring is still bothering him.

On a very different note, Tippeligaen and Division 1 may be shut down by labour trouble on May 19. Negotiations between the players union and the leagues broke down today. The biggest stumbling block is insurance; the players want an improved policy to protect them in case of career-ending injuries.

I'll start the round-up in Trondheim, where everyone was wondering which Rosenborg team would show up to host Sandefjord; it's been a very uneven start for the team that has the best players (on paper) in the league. Lars once again got the call in net, and he had very little to do, as Rosenborg showed what a dominant team they can be in the first half, and went to the break with a well-deserved 2-0 lead. The second half showed, however, there is still some rust in the machine, as they allowed the newly-promoted visitors back into the game and it was not undeserved when Sandefjord cut the lead to 2-1. Lars could not do much on the goal as a horrible back pass by right back Christer Basma gave Sandefjord striker Samuel Isaksen the easiest goal he will ever have. The hosts picked themselved up a bit after that, and in the end won 3-1.

In Oslo, most figured it would be an easy match for Lyn against struggling visitors Tromsø. To make matters worse for the last-place team, they were missing midfield stalwart Patrice Bernier due to a hamstring injury. It may be that Lyn were already looking ahead to their next match, or it may be that Tromsø have had enough of losing, but regardless of the reason, Tromsø had a 3-0 lead before 30 minutes had been played, and they held on for a 3-1 win. Stephen Ademolu played 84 minutes on the wing for Tromsø and played his best match of the season, causing all kinds of problems for the hosts. Kenny Stamatopoulos was back from suspension and on the bench for Tromsø.

The late game saw 2nd-place team Lillestrøm host struggling Start. The became, as often happens between these two teams, a very tough and hard-fought match - not pretty to watch. Lillestrøm were better in the first half, and went to the break with a 1-0 lead. In the second half, Start took more and more of the play, and it was not underserved that they tied it up. Start's biggest problem this year has been scoring, however, and they wasted some opportunities to take the lead, and in the end it was Lillestrøm who scored and held on to win 2-1. Olivier Occéan played the whole game for the hosts, but did not impress. He seems sluggish, and his timing is off. While he did make some key defensive clearances, the only scoring opportunity he had came in injury time when Start were pushing 10 men forward for the equaliser.

In Division 1, Haugesund had a man sent off after 41 minutes, and struggled to hold visitors Strømsgodset at bay for the rest of the match. It looked like they were going to succeed, but the visitors from Drammen finally scored in the 86th minute and added another just before the whistle and Haugesund lost for the first time at home this season, 2-0. Chris Pozniak played the whole game for the hosts.

Molde plays Viking tomorrow.

Ratings:

Olivier Occéan

- VG: 4

- Dagbladet: 5

- TV2/Nettavisen: 5

Lars Hischfeld

- VG: 5

- Dagbladet: 6

- TV2/Nettavisen: 5

Stephen Ademolu

- VG: 4

- Dagbladet: 6

- TV2/Nettavisen: 6

Chris Pozniak gets a 4 from VG.

100% Fotball ratings:

Lars: 5

Stephen: 6

Olivier: 5

Poz: 5

Marco: 5

In other news, Olivier Occéan did have a lasting impact on the game yesterday... Early in the second half he went into an aerial duel with Start defender Bård Borgersen (one of the strongest and toughest defenders in Norway) and broke Borgersen's ribs... Needless to say Olivier's not high on my list of favourite players at the moment.

Nice article about Rob Friend today at http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=115679

Loosely translated, it says:

Rob Friend frustrated

Not scoring and not recieving good enough service.

It is a frustrated Rob Friend who will enter the pitch against Viking tonight.

The Molde striker has played 360 minutes without scoring a goal.

"I'm frustrated because I haven't scored. But Arild [Molde coach Arild Stavrum] tells me I have to be patient and the goals will come," says Friend.

- Not good.

The Canadian sniper scored 10 goals for Molde last year. He's also frustrated he's being used as a target man [for long passes from the back] as opposed to being able to receive crosses in front of goal.

"If I'm going to get to show my skills, score goals, and do even better I need to get crosses from the wings. Now I'm primarily used as a target man. It's not good for my development. It's really quite frustrating," says Friend.

Molde captain Daniel Berg Hestad says he has never played with a player as physically strong as Friend.

- Extreme physique

"Extreme is the word. Physically and in the air I've never seen anything like it. And remember, I've played with a few over the years - among others Andreas Lund [a former Start and Molde striker known for his using his strength to "bulldoze" his way in the box]. But he was nowhere near Rob's physique," accoring to Hestad.

Friend is expecting a tough game against Viking tonight.

They have few points and are second last. They are desperate. It will be a tough game," says Friend.

kickoff is at 1900 CET; 1300 EDT; 1000 PDT.

Molde travelled to Stavanger today to take on Viking. The hosts have been struggling, with only 2 points from 5 games, and were desparate for a win. Molde have exceeded expectations so far, and arrived with some self confidence.

Both teams fielded their talles possible teams :D and everything was set up for a tough, aerial match. While they did not dissapoint, it was Viking who had the better start, and they went up 1-0 after 19 minutes of fairly sustained pressure. Molde made a match of it after that, and Rob Friend had a glorious opportunity to draw the visitos level after 38 minutes, only to see his header just miss the outside of the post. Viking added another just before the half, when the Molde defense went to sleep and allowed Toni Nhleko to carry the ball from just past midfield and score from about 10 yards out.

The second half was much the same as the first, with some tough duels, but in general Viking had the better of the play. Rob Friend, however, had the biggest chance early in the half when he again just missed the post, this time off his foot. Friend was generally well packed in by the Viking defense, however, and he was lucky not to be ejected when he let his frustration show and planted an elbow in the temple of Viking defender Abelsson, drawing blood.

Molde did finally get a goal at 85 minutes, but Viking restored their 2-goal lead minutes after that, and were able to take a well-deserved 3-1 victory.

Viking defender Abelsson is pretty pissed at Friend, and felt the big Canadian was out to get him. Abelsson needed several stitches on his eyebrow after the game. Viking coach Tom Prahl was red-carded for his vehement protests when Friend planted his elbow and got away scott-free.

On another note, Kevin De Serpa has re-emerged in Norwegian soccer, with the Division 2 section 3 team Stord/Moster. De Serpa scored his team's only goal in a 4-1 loss to Fana on Saturday. Apparently Kevin was reluctant to leave the Norwegian west coast...which I can understand - it's beautiful there.

1st round of the Norwegian cup:

Grovfjord – Tromsø 0-5 (0-3)

- Patrice Bernier came on and played 15 minutes; Stephen Ademolu and Kenny Stamatopoulos did not play

Høland – Lillestrøm 0-3 (0-1)

- Lillestrøm fielded a lot of reserves and Olivier Occéan was not even on the bench

Kvik – Rosenborg 1-8 (0-4)

- Lars Hirschfeld played the second half, and gave up the first goal Rosenborg has given up in the first round since 1989 :D

Surnadal - Molde 1-6 (0-4)

- neither Canadian played

Førde – Sogndal 0-4

- Marco Reda played the second half

Åkra - Haugesund 0-3

- Niki Budalic started for Haugesund

Stord/Moster - Fyllingen 2-5

- no lineups published

Archived