Canadians in Norway (Tippeligaen)

According to 100% fotball, Patrice Bernier met with Start coach Stig Inge Bjørnebye regarding a possible transfer to the Kristiansand club yesterday. Bernier has expressed a desire to move south from Tromsø, and you just can't get further south in Norway [:P]

http://fotball.fvn.no/eliteserien/article68695.ece

Bernier was positive although noncommittal in his comments to the press.

I really hope this is true - Bernier would be perfect in our midfield together with Fredrik Strømstad and Kristofer Hæstad (both NT starters for Norway)!

btw - been too busy to update lately; I will post a review of the last two rounds and the season as soon as possible.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to 100% fotball, Patrice Bernier met with Start coach Stig Inge Bjørnebye regarding a possible transfer to the Kristiansand club yesterday. Bernier has expressed a desire to move south from Tromsø, and you just can't get further south in Norway [:P]

http://fotball.fvn.no/eliteserien/article68695.ece

Bernier was positive although noncommittal in his comments to the press.

I really hope this is true - Bernier would be perfect in our midfield together with Fredrik Strømstad and Kristofer Hæstad (both NT starters for Norway)!

btw - been too busy to update lately; I will post a review of the last two rounds and the season as soon as possible.

This goes against everything we have been hearing from him and the strong rumours he will sign with TFC. I don't see the sense of him moving from one mid-table Norwegian club to another. Nothing against Start but if he could sign with a bigger club/better league I would like him to stay in Europe but I would rather he play for TFC than Start. If Heerenveen was willing to pay quite a lot to get Friend one would think Bernier could at least sign with a mid-table Dutch team when he is a free transfer.

This goes against everything we have been hearing from him and the strong rumours he will sign with TFC. I don't see the sense of him moving from one mid-table Norwegian club to another. Nothing against Start but if he could sign with a bigger club/better league I would like him to stay in Europe but I would rather he play for TFC than Start. If Heerenveen was willing to pay quite a lot to get Friend one would think Bernier could at least sign with a mid-table Dutch team when he is a free transfer.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I'll bet he'll get more offers, the season has just ended (in fact not really as they still have promotion playoffs and the Cup I think). So let's wait on this.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I'll bet he'll get more offers, the season has just ended (in fact not really as they still have promotion playoffs and the Cup I think). So let's wait on this.

quote:Originally posted by Start fan in exile

Patrice Bernier received a contract offer from Start earlier this week - which included a salary of approx. CDN$ 400K. Today he told the club that while he is positive towards the club, he would prefer to pursue options abroad before possibly signing with another Norwegian club.

Makes perfect sense...but damn him! ;)

Add a car and accomodation and MLS can't even begin getting close to this salary with a "non-star" player like Bernier.

Bernier is leaving Tromsø and the Tromsø supporters are already speculating in which Canadian can be brought in to replace him. As of right now the No1 replacement on the wish list is Dwayne De Rosario... I don't think that it is a snowballs chance in hell that he'll come, but just out of curiosity: how much does he get paid? How many, or even better name the European clubs that have been or are interested in him? And how big would a potential transfer fee be?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by rednwhite

Bernier is leaving Tromsø and the Tromsø supporters are already speculating in which Canadian can be brought in to replace him. As of right now the No1 replacement on the wish list is Dwayne De Rosario... I don't think that it is a snowballs chance in hell that he'll come, but just out of curiosity: how much does he get paid? How many, or even better name the European clubs that have been or are interested in him? And how big would a potential transfer fee be?

Think De Ro might be making around a hundred thousand US a year, have not checked recently though.

Archived