Australia vs Uruguay [R]

The Ref

Well, I am not sure there is a lot of creative thought around how to progress in Canada at the moment.

As an example, Australia hired Guus Hiddink as a part-time Coach while he continued in his role with PSV Eindhoven (half a world away). However, even on this Board, there was a lot of disgust expressed about MLSE's suggestion that their MLS franchise share Coaching and technical staff with the CSA and the MNT. I can't help but wonder if we've just dismissed something out of hand because of a traditional view of how things should be.

What quality of Coach could be hired on a shared basis? Or does Yallop have a devine right to the MNT job?

Have we just said no to a potential opportunity because we thought we might be taken advantage of? That's how 40 year-old virgins are created.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Hiddink is in Europe where I believe all but one of the Aussie players are located. Anyone coaching from MLS would not be able to scout the European (ie the best) players adequately.

How would that be. For the most part the seasons dont over lap.

Lets see, the coach would have NOV DEC JAN FEB MAR to scout europe.

I might want to rethink your out of hand statement.

And consider this, it might actually be an interest of his club as well to scout Canadians in Europe?

And strategically using those International youth development spots on 17 year-old Brazilian and Argentinians looking for a way out and then helping arrange Canadian citizenship.

There are some synergies between the two roles. But I will only say that when we are are not doing so well at the international level, we should not be so quick to dismiss.

quote:Originally posted by MLSFAN

How would that be. For the most part the seasons dont over lap.

Lets see, the coach would have NOV DEC JAN FEB MAR to scout europe.

I might want to rethink your out of hand statement.

After getting pounded by England at cricket and rugby, Australia seems ready to embrace their soccer heroes!! After watching T and T qualify from CONCACAF, we in Canada can only stand and wonder what might have been had the CSA and our coaches been more organised with the talent pool (3 players in top flight leagues plus many more at Championship/level 2 leagues plus an obvious captain in Jason deVos etc. etc. moan, moan) at our disposal.

Football frenzy

By Phil Mercer

BBC Sport in Sydney

The long wait is over.

Australia's nail-biting play-off win against Uruguay has brought to an end three decades of World Cup disaster. It was the best moment in sporting history in this country, Australia fan Evan.

"It's like a dream," screamed 29-year-old fan Venus, her voice hoarse after a long and happy night.

This could be the moment that football finally finds its feet in a country where it has struggled to compete with the sporting heavyweights of rugby league and union as well as Aussie Rules and cricket.

The Socceroos will head to Germany next year - their first appearance in the World Cup finals since 1974.

It was so long ago that many in the raucous crowd of 82,600 at the Olympic stadium in Sydney weren't even born when the Aussies last rubbed shoulders with the world's elite.

"It was the best moment in sporting history in this country," said Evan, a 17-year-old student.

"It united a nation. It doesn't get bigger than qualifying for the World Cup. I think football here is just going to take off."

Supporting the Socceroos has in the past been a painful business and typically, the win over a resilient Uruguay was not straightforward.

Fans had to endure a tense penalty shoot-out after the tie had ended all-square on aggregate.

This was a game that should have come with a health warning.

"I suffered about eight heart attacks," joked 17-year-old Chris.

But anxiety has given way to an explosion of joy and optimism.

"The atmosphere was like something I've never felt in my whole life," enthused Stephanie, an 18-year-old office worker. "It's one of the best nights of my life. I'll never forget it."

Neither will those who engineered Australia's historic World Cup win.

"I feel a sense of absolute relief and tremendous pride," said an exhausted John O'Neill, chief executive of the FFA, football's governing body in Australia.

"It was one of the most amazing nights in sport I've ever experienced. It was a great night to be an Australian," he told BBC Sport.

Along with Frank Lowy, one of Australia's richest men, O'Neill has helped to transform football in Australia.

Skipper Mark Viduka has praised their achievements.

"The new guys that have come in have made it very, very organised and turned it into a viable business," explained the Middlesbrough striker.

"The missing link was us qualifying for the World Cup."

Now that's been achieved, fans can now look forward with hope. Already the imagination is starting to run wild.

"We can win the final!" shrieked 15-year-old Natalie. "And we'll do it against England!"

"We can beat anyone," said another young supporter, who turned out to greet the Socceroos at a park in Sydney for a lunchtime celebration.

After the shock of an Ashes defeat and the recent pummelling at Twickenham, perhaps football can give Australian sport back its old cocksure swagger.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

As an example, Australia hired Guus Hiddink as a part-time Coach while he continued in his role with PSV Eindhoven (half a world away). However, even on this Board, there was a lot of disgust expressed about MLSE's suggestion that their MLS franchise share Coaching and technical staff with the CSA and the MNT. I can't help but wonder if we've just dismissed something out of hand because of a traditional view of how things should be.

What quality of Coach could be hired on a shared basis? Or does Yallop have a devine right to the MNT job?

Have we just said no to a potential opportunity because we thought we might be taken advantage of? That's how 40 year-old virgins are created.

I for one would have a far different opinion on the shared coach matter if we could get someone of the quality of Hiddink or Hitzfeld than the suggestion that we allow someone the quality of Yallop or most other coaches who would be interested in an MLS position to do a double job.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Hiddink is in Europe where I believe all but one of the Aussie players are located. Anyone coaching from MLS would not be able to scout the European (ie the best) players adequately.

The Aussies are also using Europe as a home ground. They've played friendlies in Reading and London.

I think that the Aussies outsmarted us, based on the fact that they took a non-footballing nation, made them believe, and more importantly made them succesful.

I think that Australia is a good comparable to Canada. Not too large a population, extremely vast population, and sports that are more important to the population.

They outsmarted us, because they were succesful, and we weren't.

Archived