Toronto may be lone 2007 Expansion team

Gian-Luca

This article, about Milwaukee's possibility as an expansion team for 2008, suggests it:

Soccer leaders face deadline

MLS commissioner lays out timetable

By CHARLES F. GARDNER and DON WALKER

cgardner@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Sept. 8, 2005

Milwaukee Professional Soccer, the local group attempting to build a 20,000-seat downtown stadium and secure a Major League Soccer franchise, is facing a November deadline to acquire land for its mixed-use project and identify a lead investor.

Advertisement

Those steps must be taken by November, according to MLS Commissioner Don Garber, if the city is to be considered for an expansion franchise for the 2008 season.

Garber visited Milwaukee on Thursday, meeting with community soccer leaders, city aldermen Willie Hines and Michael D'Amato and Mayor Tom Barrett. The commissioner ended his day by making a short trip to Bay View to chat with fans at the Highbury Pub.

"We need to finalize the ownership group here within the next three or four months," Garber said at a news conference at the Milwaukee Athletic Club.

"We toured a number of different (stadium) sites, and I think all of them are very viable."

Martin J. Greenberg, the local sports lawyer who is leading the project, indicated that he had had discussions with private developers about acquiring land for the stadium and the residential and commercial complex that would go along with it.

He would not discuss specific sites, but it is thought that the Pabst City site and two sites near the Italian Community Center, adjacent to the Summerfest grounds, are being considered.

Milwaukee Professional Soccer also is interested in placing its project in the Park East corridor on city and county-owned land, but that is a plan the city opposes. Pat Curley, an aide to Barrett, said Thursday that the city's development plan in that area did not call for a stadium.

"If we get the site, this will fall into place," Greenberg said. "I'm optimistic. I don't have a contract but I'm optimistic."

Greenberg said he had talked with at least 10 potential investors from inside and outside the Milwaukee area about the $300 million project.

"We're talking about lead investors, corporate sponsorships and partnerships with youth soccer," Greenberg said. "In my belief, none of that can be answered or identified until we have a soccer-specific stadium site."

Greenberg said six requirements for securing a stadium were necessary: a downtown site; tax-incremental financing or creation of a TIF district; new market tax credits from the real estate development; a capital infusion from investors; a high visibility location and stadium naming rights that could bring in $1 million to $2 million per year; and building a mixed-use development with the soccer stadium as a centerpiece and surrounded by restaurants, retail outlets and commercial and housing space.

"We have let the city know that we are a development that will enhance Milwaukee and its economic future," Greenberg said. "It's simply a question of where we go."

Greenberg said the project would require a site with 10 to 11 acres.

MLS currently has 12 teams, including first-year franchises in Salt Lake City and Los Angeles (Chivas USA). Garber said the next round of expansion should come in 2007, when Toronto is expected to join the league, and 2008, with one additional team.

In addition to Milwaukee, other candidates for the 2008 slot are Cleveland, Houston, Philadelphia and Rochester, N.Y., Garber said. The league is also seeking to move its Kansas City franchise to a city with a soccer-specific stadium, although Garber indicated that should happen before expansion occurs.

"We've been able to experience real success on the facility-development side," said Garber, referring to soccer-specific stadiums built in Carson, Calif., for the Los Angeles Galaxy and in Frisco, Texas, for FC Dallas. "We can show how the west side of L.A. has come down to see what's going on in Carson at the Home Depot Center, and now we have a public-private partnership in north Dallas.

"Downtown (in Milwaukee) would be great. You love that feeling of being able to go from the pub to a game or from restaurants to a game."

Garber also said he would welcome a Midwestern trio of Milwaukee, Columbus and Chicago as natural rivals while building toward an 18-team league.

"Soccer, like any sport, needs a rivalry," Garber said. "We're a young league, so we haven't had the years of history or the regional rivalries."

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

This article, about Milwaukee's possibility as an expansion team for 2008, suggests it:

Soccer leaders face deadline

MLS commissioner lays out timetable

By CHARLES F. GARDNER and DON WALKER

cgardner@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Sept. 8, 2005

Milwaukee Professional Soccer, the local group attempting to build a 20,000-seat downtown stadium and secure a Major League Soccer franchise, is facing a November deadline to acquire land for its mixed-use project and identify a lead investor.

.... and building a mixed-use development with the soccer stadium as a centerpiece and surrounded by restaurants, retail outlets and commercial and housing space.

"Downtown (in Milwaukee) would be great. You love that feeling of being able to go from the pub to a game or from restaurants to a game."

mmmmm....none of that sounds like Downsview! Drove by there (going northbound on the Allen/Dufferin)the other day and noticed that the closest "pub" was the Boston Pizza which (in traffic) was about 5 minutes north by car at that little mall on Rimrock.

And what exactly is anywhere near where the actual CNE stadium would go up??

This whole Downsview vs. CNE debate is really ridiculous. One is better for some, the other is better for others. For example, me living in Hamilton, there is absolutely no chance of going to Downsview on a weeknight. It would take minimum 2 hours, and that's just regular traffic, not including time needed if there are any traffic accidents or major problems.

I agree the debate is silly & wouldn't want to see it spilled over into this thread which isn't about that. I take it though that your 2 hours estimate wasn't contemplating taking the 407, as if you did I'm sure you could get to either location in less than the 2 hours you mention, even on a weeknight.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

But then a $25 game ticket now costs an additional $18 in addition to gas expenses. Would you pay $18 to save yourself an approximate hour of travel?

quote:Originally posted by HamiltonSteelers

But then a $25 game ticket now costs an additional $18 in addition to gas expenses. Would you pay $18 to save yourself an approximate hour of travel?

Me personally? Yes I would. If I take the 407 to Lynx games you can be sure I would take it to see the Black Squirrels in the MLS.

quote:Originally posted by Varsity Tyler

It hasn't hurt the CFL at all.

It has actually...it has produced a very uneven schedule (teams don't play for two weeks sometimes and then play twice in 5 days) and is the main reason they are trying to find a place to put a 10th franchise (halifax or Quebec City).

yeah but besides that schedual complex. Everything is perfect. The CFL has grown. I know people that went to a CFL game a few years back and the highlight of heir game was the chearleaders. Now they are actaully "part" of the game. The people in Ottawa threw a hell of a party. Anywho back to the MLS expansion. If it does happen there will be a bye week for a team or how do you think its going to play out ? Amid week fixture ?

quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

It has actually...it has produced a very uneven schedule (teams don't play for two weeks sometimes and then play twice in 5 days) and is the main reason they are trying to find a place to put a 10th franchise (halifax or Quebec City).

Plus the 18 games each team plays means they play some teams three times in a season.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

yeah but besides that schedual complex. Everything is perfect. The CFL has grown. I know people that went to a CFL game a few years back and the highlight of heir game was the chearleaders. Now they are actaully "part" of the game. The people in Ottawa threw a hell of a party. Anywho back to the MLS expansion. If it does happen there will be a bye week for a team or how do you think its going to play out ? Amid week fixture ?

I was actually amazed by the passion for the Lions I saw in Vancouver this August. People are really into those colours, game days were quite lively (though I did not go, opted for the Whitecaps). I even saw that they had a big contingent of fans near Nanaimo that completely booked the catamaran to come over for a Friday game, I know this as a friend who usually walks up found himself without a seat.

Too bad no Vancouver based team in hockey or CFL has ever had a real rival, unlike the Caps rivalry with the Sounders and to a lesser degree Portland.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I think that's the figure that's been quoted numerous times. In any case, if its more cash than that, its even further reason to want to get a hold of it sooner than later!

Or to jack up the price to keep Montreal and vancouver out.

Archived