Arsenal Canada

Arsenal lady

Just wanted to let you know that Canada has its own Official Arsenal Supporters Club. It is based out of Toronto, Ontario and we will be setting up local chapters right across Canada.

So if there are any Arsenal supporters here, please stop by. Our website is under construction but our forum is open

Cheers

Patsy C [8D]

Webmaster

Arsenalcanada.com

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

if only half those people showed interest in the Canadian game we would be in much better shape.

How many people, even in a city the size of Toronto, are members of an official Arsenal supporters club? Hardly any. Even when it probably only costs some $10-20 to join. Much less than supporters of the Canadian NT.

I think we might be surprised. In terms of who shows up at the soccer pubs in Edmonton, the Arsenal supporters and shirts easily outnumber those of our MNT. Certainly the ManUnited supporters (and few of those would consider themselves MNT fans) would outnumber the MNT suporters.

if only half those people showed interest in the Canadian game we would be in much better shape.

Well I plan to join the Arsenal club. The fact that I post here on Voyageurs forum means that Canadian soccer is of great interest to me. Supporting a foreign club and Canadian soccer are not mutually exclusive endeavours so I think you are out of line on that count.

Gooner

The point I was making is this. I know many people as I'm sure you do as well, along with prectically every other person on this board, who would follow their Euro based team to the ends of the earth just to watch them play. Yet how many of these people who live in Canada check out the actualy Canadian product. I.e. National team, USL team. So I dont think I'm that far out of line as you may think. There is nothing wrong with showing Love for a domestic team all I said in my first post in this thread was. If half of these people showed the same interest in the Canadian NT as they do in their favourite domestic club we would be in a much better sitation.

Gooner

The point I was making is this. I know many people as I'm sure you do as well, along with prectically every other person on this board, who would follow their Euro based team to the ends of the earth just to watch them play. Yet how many of these people who live in Canada check out the actualy Canadian product. I.e. National team, USL team. So I dont think I'm that far out of line as you may think. There is nothing wrong with showing Love for a domestic team all I said in my first post in this thread was. If half of these people showed the same interest in the Canadian NT as they do in their favourite domestic club we would be in a much better sitation.

The prime example of this retardedness was all the Sunderland kits at Swangard. I'm sure there were a few ex-Vauxies on the lam for one reason or another. Good for them. However, I know for a fact there were at least a few who went out and bought their kit just because a team from England was coming. Whilst were giving credit to foreigners, you gotta like all those English ex-pats in the Southside who support the Whitecaps and aren't so easily impressed by wankers like Jon Stead.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

The prime example of this retardedness was all the Sunderland kits at Swangard. I'm sure there were a few ex-Vauxies on the lam for one reason or another. Good for them. However, I know for a fact there were at least a few who went out and bought their kit just because a team from England was coming. Whilst were giving credit to foreigners, you gotta like all those English ex-pats in the Southside who support the Whitecaps and aren't so easily impressed by wankers like Jon Stead.

There were at least 100 people from Sunderland that made the trip to follow their team on the tour, that accounts for quite a few of the Sunderland kits. If we want to talk about sillyness how the number of Whitecaps supporters who normally wear Whitecaps gear to show support for their team who all of a sudden because an English team were playing the Caps decided to wear their favourite English club kits for the game. I don't think they were impressing the Sunderland players or their supporters. It would have been more impressive to show that they supported their local team.

Even more silly was when leaving I got derogatory comments aimed my way because I was a Whitecaps fan (with a flag, kit and scarf). These came from people who came to the game, had no english accents and were wearing no team colours. What their problem was I don't know, it was probably because they came to the game hoping that the Whitecaps would get destroyed so they could ridicule the local product. After the result ended up the other way around I suppose they were kinda pissed off.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

well said!

Topic has sort of got high jacked a bit here. That's cool. **** evolves.

It's pretty hard to have a serious Canada supporters club when you don't have an opporturnity to get regularily together to WATCH your team of choice, have a yell, and argue/debate about this, that, or the next thing as it relates to your team. You know, like a normal football supporter.

It's quite another thing to get into the Saturday morning tradition down at the pub with other like minded folk and enjoying yourself and your football passion. Along with maybe a too early lager or two to accompany your breakfast.

So Geezus, lighten up people. Just cause the Lynx suck from top to bottom dosen't mean everyone else has to stomach putting up with their clown act in order to enjoy some guilt free football.

Good luck, Patsy. I'm pretty sure you're going to enjoy your season more than I well.

Although I believe that people living in Canada should support their local clubs and teams as well as their National Team, you cannot blame people for supporting foreign clubs look at the state of Canada soccer. The National team has not qualified for a World Cup since 1986, and besides success at the Gold Cup in recent years and the Montreal Impact winning the A-League title last year, we have to ask ourselves what is there to take pride in Canadian soccer? The answer IMHO is not alot. Canada does not have a professional league or teams besides the Lynx, Whitecaps, Impact and CPSL clubs.

So really can you blame soccer fans for supporting foreign clubs and National teams they have no choice?

I support my Euro club. Liverpool and a club for Poland. (Slask Wroclaw) Yet I have given the Canadian game a chances and I don regret a second of it. there is nothing wrong about supporting "your" team or a team you grew up watching or a team that your father introduced you to, but since you live in canada give the Canadian game a chance.

I support my Euro club. Liverpool and a club for Poland. (Slask Wroclaw) Yet I have given the Canadian game a chances and I don regret a second of it. there is nothing wrong about supporting "your" team or a team you grew up watching or a team that your father introduced you to, but since you live in canada give the Canadian game a chance.

I think thats admirable, but why do you assume I'm any different from you? I support Arsenal because although I was born in Canada, I lived in London for 8 years. I support an English club, but I don't support England MNT . I support Canada's MNT. I agree there are many people who support a foriegn national team, but I can tell you that in my circle of friends who support various European teams, we ALL support Canada nationally. Remember, those of us who love our MNT tend to be less visible, mainly because we rarely get far enough in tournaments to be able to go out flag-waving in the streets. Just because the Italian, Portuguese Greeks etc are more visible doesnt mean they are necessarily more numerous than Canadian MNT supporters. They just support national teams that afford them the priviledge of visibility. We Canadians do not.

That said, I really dont see why people in my situation are constantly required to prove our loyalty to Canada simply because we dont support a local club side like the Whitecaps or Lynx. Club support should be a choice, IMO, and we shouldn't see the opening of a foreign team's supporters club as evidence that all of the members are disloyal to Canada. I have made it clear that I will support an MLS team here in Toronto though, but thats another can of worms lol.:)

I think thats admirable, but why do you assume I'm any different from you? I support Arsenal because although I was born in Canada, I lived in London for 8 years. I support an English club, but I don't support England MNT . I support Canada's MNT. I agree there are many people who support a foriegn national team, but I can tell you that in my circle of friends who support various European teams, we ALL support Canada nationally. Remember, those of us who love our MNT tend to be less visible, mainly because we rarely get far enough in tournaments to be able to go out flag-waving in the streets. Just because the Italian, Portuguese Greeks etc are more visible doesnt mean they are necessarily more numerous than Canadian MNT supporters. They just support national teams that afford them the priviledge of visibility. We Canadians do not.

That said, I really dont see why people in my situation are constantly required to prove our loyalty to Canada simply because we dont support a local club side like the Whitecaps or Lynx. Club support should be a choice, IMO, and we shouldn't see the opening of a foreign team's supporters club as evidence that all of the members are disloyal to Canada. I have made it clear that I will support an MLS team here in Toronto though, but thats another can of worms lol.:)

Hey, half my family is from Wroclaw (Breslau actually, but thank god for history or we might both have to put up with the boredom of another Bundesliga club!) I was there about ten years ago. Really beautiful city, especially after a few reasonably priced drinks. [:P]

Anyway, I don't know why somebody (Gooner, for example) needs to wait for MLS to go have a yell at their local ground. I think a lot of people would be surprised how much fun the A-League can be. I know this was my first year with tickets and I've had a blast. And much like Polish liquor, you can't beat the price. [xx(]

Hey, half my family is from Wroclaw (Breslau actually, but thank god for history or we might both have to put up with the boredom of another Bundesliga club!) I was there about ten years ago. Really beautiful city, especially after a few reasonably priced drinks. [:P]

Anyway, I don't know why somebody (Gooner, for example) needs to wait for MLS to go have a yell at their local ground. I think a lot of people would be surprised how much fun the A-League can be. I know this was my first year with tickets and I've had a blast. And much like Polish liquor, you can't beat the price. [xx(]

quote:[Anyway, I don't know why somebody (Gooner, for example) needs to wait for MLS to go have a yell at their local ground. I think a lot of people would be surprised how much fun the A-League can be. I know this was my first year with tickets and I've had a blast. And much like Polish liquor, you can't beat the price. [xx(]

YNWA, as you rightly said, I dont 'need' to wait for MLS. But on the other hand, I dont 'need' to watch A-League either. I made it clear in my post that I believe club football to be a matter of preference. National team football should be a matter of patriotic compulsion. As for not supporting my local team, I happen to have philosophical differences with the ownership structure of the Lynx. Thats normal. FC United of Manchester was just formed by ex Man U fans at odds with the direction their team is headed. Supporting a future MLS side is my form of protest against the futility of the Lynx management. If I lived in Vancouver where there exists a team whose owners have pride and vision I would probably would go to many of the games. That said, having visted their website, it looks like hanging out with the Toronto Ultras would be a great way to spend an afternoon, despite the Lynx lol.

quote:[Anyway, I don't know why somebody (Gooner, for example) needs to wait for MLS to go have a yell at their local ground. I think a lot of people would be surprised how much fun the A-League can be. I know this was my first year with tickets and I've had a blast. And much like Polish liquor, you can't beat the price. [xx(]

YNWA, as you rightly said, I dont 'need' to wait for MLS. But on the other hand, I dont 'need' to watch A-League either. I made it clear in my post that I believe club football to be a matter of preference. National team football should be a matter of patriotic compulsion. As for not supporting my local team, I happen to have philosophical differences with the ownership structure of the Lynx. Thats normal. FC United of Manchester was just formed by ex Man U fans at odds with the direction their team is headed. Supporting a future MLS side is my form of protest against the futility of the Lynx management. If I lived in Vancouver where there exists a team whose owners have pride and vision I would probably would go to many of the games. That said, having visted their website, it looks like hanging out with the Toronto Ultras would be a great way to spend an afternoon, despite the Lynx lol.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

Here's my perspective on the foreign club v. local club.

Being an afficionado of sports business, it is hard to get behind a club, knowing that full well, that might not be here next year. The idea of, however, of throwing your support behind a club that has been in existance of over a century, well you know that they are unlikely to disappear. Approx. 15 years ago, I fell into Manchester United. I was doing research on english teams, and I thought Mark Hughes was awesome, Peter Schmeichel was a madman and a general and I admired that and Giggs was the new kid who could fly down the wings. I was hooked and been there ever since. Man U was in the thick of it, but with 5 weeks to go of the end of season, they would trail off.

Looking up the english game was a by-product of the CSL, and the folding of Hamilton. I needed a new team and Man U filled that void. Then they became the marketing machine, titles here, titles there, and now you can't be a Man United supporter without being a glory-hunter. Whatever.

Unfortunately, clubs appear, disappear and reappear. Strangely enough, Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver have outlasted them all, but it has only been in the last year or so that Montreal and Vancouver have made social commitments to growing the game by building their own facilities (training, stadia, offices...) and those are physical foundations that the club isn't going anywhere - nothing to do with press or politics or how wealthy the owner is (though it does help).

And as far as I am concerned, it doesn't matter if the european/south american club(s) you support win it all or dwell in the second division. If you are not supporting your local club, YOU ARE A GLORY-HUNTER.

Now go put your money where your mouth is, buy a damn ticket and go to a game.

Archived