Arsenal Canada

Arsenal lady

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Wrong, TV revenue is by far and away the most important financial support that teams look to in today's global village. Having people watch on tv thousands of miles away counts. Alot. Ticket sales are now secondary, soon to be tertiary. Welcome to 21st century sports my friend.

Actually TV is important but for the vast majority of professional clubs England attendances make the difference.

Wenger has said the move to Ashburton Grove will make a huge difference for the team (oooh actually brought an Arsenal reference into the discussion:D ). Even with ManUre and all it's global marketing it is widely acknowledged that the expansion of Old Trafford's seating capacity was in large part responsible for the winning of so many titles in the last decade.

Every year KPMG in the UK produces a report on the state of finances of the professional teams and every year gate revenue is THE largest slice of the income pie. As well, they have shown that over time the teams that do well financially base their player wages on a percentage of gate revenue (I don't recall the figure offhand).

What all of this has to do with supporting the greatest team in the UK I don't really know. [8D]

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if attendance is most important (I'm not saying it is or isn't, but let's go with that), that does not mean that it is "the only support that counts", which was Richard's original point (with italicization added by me).

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Even if attendance is most important (I'm not saying it is or isn't, but let's go with that), that does not mean that it is "the only support that counts", which was Richard's original point (with italicization added by me).

Sigh.....

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Why the sigh, Richard? Are you upset he called you on your original post?

Nope. Its his inadequate grasp of language that brought on the sigh.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

And when do you plan to address my points? Or are you upset because you can't disprove them or that I stayed to my point, unlike yourself?

If and when it suits me, maybe never. I am flattered somewhat that what I think or say should matter so much to you.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Nope. Its his inadequate grasp of language that brought on the sigh.
I don't see the need for a personal insult.

Your original statement was "the only support that counts is buying tickets for and attending games", which implies that other types of support don't count. Rather than proving or disproving your original statement, the thread turned towards discussing the most important type of support. But since "most important" does not equal "only thing that counts", whatever is determined to be the most important would not have any bearing on your original statement. In other words, something can be the most important type of support without being the only type of support that counts. That's all I pointed out.

I have interpreted your original statement literally, which is fair. Please explain if you meant something else. Or just ignore me. But personal insults are not useful.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Clearly you do not understand hyperbole. I rest my case.

Forget the hyperbole Richard, we called you out on your "ONLY kind of support that counts" comment and you've been dodging it ever since. We now know that you can't take the heat. Case closed friend.

Alas Richard, hyperbole and sarcasm just don't tranlate well into print. Especially on the 'net where numerous people routinely go online for the sole purpose of jamming their head up their bottoms. I knew - or at least was reasonably confident I knew - what you were saying Richard, but there are a few on this board that I would not have come to that same conclusion had they posted exactly the same words. We probably would not be bogged down in this debate had you simply stated off the bat that it was hyperbole rather than insulting those who did not recognize it as such.

As it stands, I agree with you that virtually all non-ticket revenues are dependant upon healty attendance figures. Non-existent fans are not going to pay for parking, concessions, merchandise or watch games on the telly. But given healthy attendance, other revenues can become more important (read larger) than ticket revenue.

ya but I defend what PLF says. Most footy fans or "footy fans" i run into are only fans of these super clubs in England, Italy and Spain. They claim to be fans of Man U, Chelsea, Real Madrid or Juve, yet they cant tell me there newest transfers or coaches name. Thats no word of a lie, unfortunatly. Now how are these people going to anything about Canadian soccer?

Now there are some people who follow these super clubs (they know all about their team) and do loosly follow Canadian/USA soccer. but these people are far and few between. They know who Radzinski is but they whould never follow the Lynx, Impact, Cap's or any CPSL side.

These are the people that must be targeted by the CSA. These people alredy know about the game but they have been bombarded with EPL highlights that they believe that only Man yoo and Chelski can play socer!

Hopefully the MLS can provide the professionalism that these fans think the USL lacks... well Toronto can be argued!

Archived