We need some good quality strikers

Derosario23

As you all may already know canada has always had trouble scoring goals but with all our chances agaisnt costa and usa and still not being able to put one in we have a serious problem.Ali gerba is not our saviour to score goals and im afraid that dero isnt as well this is serious because you cannot win games if you cant score in fact most of our players can't really strike the ball very well. I dunno how many of you saw the usa game at the GC but grande had a straight shot and blows it in the crowd dero also against costa rica. So in my mind our inablity to score goals will not get us in the quarters and maybe not qualifying for the world cup. Radzinski is not playing for us no more it seems so who's next ?

Unless its franks fault for just being a bad coach for using the wrong system for our team id like to know your thoughts on this guys cause im very troubled by this

I totally agree we need a couple good quality strikers ,, but this has been a problem for a long long time,, not just the past couple years.. But I think the problem runs deeper then that, not having a creative midfielder/s who can distribute the ball and set the strikers up to give them a real quality chance is another problem. Many Canadian soccer fans thought this would be the year in qualifying cause of Radzinski playing,, a quality striker who's proven he can score in one of the top leagues in the world,, yet we hardly even noticed him on the field,, he doesn't have the talent around him to put him in a good scoring position very often.. I mentioned in a post yesterday that many of Canada's soccer players are equivalent to having stone hands in hockey,, we get in close to goal and we choke...I don't even have to list examples cause we all saw them the last 2 games... The hope is that Deguzman, Hutchinson, Hume, Occean and Peters (all talented and young) get to play together alot and form the basic core of our national team,, hopefully this leads us to some creative play in the midfielders (Peters, Hutch, Deguz) and guys that can finish it off with a goal (Hume, Occean,, maybe Friend ??)

Well, Radz didn't light it up and he was top-notch. The problem is probably the relationship between the mid and the forwards. That's why we need Hutch in the middle, to build chemistry with the strikers.

Ali looked bad the first few games with the Impact, but looked good once the players knew how to use him. Same in TO (good) and in Montréal with Lilley (bad).

Ali's not a saviour, but despite some insulting comments about his play by Gerry Dobson (par for the course for Gerry of course) he's not looked out of place at all and has looked capable at the international level. Another striker to add to the overall depth. Once we start getting these strikers into scoring position more often (and we can use some help from the linesman in this particular tourney) then we can start to consider whether they don't have the ability to finish most of their good chances.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Ali's not a saviour, but despite some insulting comments about his play by Gerry Dobson (par for the course for Gerry of course) he's not looked out of place at all and has looked capable at the international level. Another striker to add to the overall depth. Once we start getting these strikers into scoring position more often (and we can use some help from the linesman in this particular tourney) then we can start to consider whether they don't have the ability to finish most of their good chances.

well just to tell you we are the only team in the tourney who hasnt scored yet even if we beat cuba we wont make best 2 out 3 for third place no way

Even though he didn't score much in WCQ, we could all see Radkinski's quality. I think we need both a quality finisher and good ballmovers in the midfield.

From what I've seen, Hutchinson and Grande fit the midfield bill. unfortunately, Hutch is being used at the back, Grande didn't start last game, and Radzinski is 'resting'...

Remember, this Gold Cup team is a 'b' team, so lets not be too harsh... that said, we better score against Cuba. Start Peters and Hume, and if possible put Huchinson back in central midfield!

Maybe it's also the style of play that Canada plays. Playing a system that relies on the wingers to cross in the ball means that Canada needs big strikers who can head the ball in. Maybe that's one of the reason's why Radz didn't really score much since he's pretty short.

I don't want to give up on a OO-Hume partnership just yet. The Big O has developed quite a bit, IMO, since I first saw him in WCQ, and he's improved his first touch at holding up the ball. I think McKenna could still be a similar type of player if he plays up front on a regular basis; also, he's proven to have more of a scoring touch.

Radzinski's best performances at club level, be it at Ekeren, Anderlecht, and Everton, have been when he has been teamed up consistently with a big target man (can't remember the lad at Ekeren, but I do remember Koller at Anderlecht and Campbell at Everton). To compare, Kevin Phillips is a similar player who benefitted immensely from the presense of Niall Quinn at Sunderland, relying on anticipation and quickness to pick up Quinn's feeds and knockdowns. Radzinski, I believe, is better at taking on defenders one on one to create opportunities on his own, but he still did his best with a big man beside him.

I always saw Hume in the same way. Quick, decisive, but with a better shot and a greater willingness to use it at distance. I hope he is fit enough to play alongside Occean on Tuesday.

How many (and which) internationals have Occean and Hume started together?

I like the '007' combo. But Kelownaguy hit the nail on the head with the midfield comment. Lets get Atiba back in mid field. Move Simpson to left mid (where he plays at Millwall). He has pace and is stronger than Peters on the right. When we move forward do it in numbers. Then the '007' will make us all smile!

Another thing that needs to be addressed is scoring support from midfield. If you were to go with the four man midfield of Brennan, DeGuzman, Hutchison, and Stalteri, how many goals has each scored at club level in the last two years? Correct me if I'm wrong, but out of the four the only one who seems to chip in goals is Hutch for his Swedish team. If we can generate some more offense from midfield it would help quite a bit. That's why I'm intrigued by Gyaki of the Blades: a midfielder cultivating a scoring touch. He's not Lampard, but at least he's taking steps in that direction.

I agree with the comments about midfielders having to give good service to the strikers. I think it goes a bit beyond that. First the midfielders need to have more choices to pass to, not just a couple of lonely and highly marked strikers. I.e. wingers for square balls or deep wingers for penetration. Also our strikers need to be moving and the mids need to know where the strikers will be moving to. Finally the strikers need to be able to make something out even off a bad ball. If the only way they can score is of an excellent set up, it ain't going to happen too often. A good forward should leave you with your mouth open in admiration. Right now, I am opening my mouth just to yawn.

Archived