June 12 WYC - Canada v Syria - PRE- & IN-match [R]

DJT

<center>World Youth Championship - Netherlands 2005

First Round, Match 1Canada vs. SyriaSunday, June 12, 2005

11:30 AM PDT / 12:30 PM MDT / 1:30 PM CDT / 2:30 PM EDT / 3:30 PM ADT / 4:30 PM NDT / 8:30 PM local

Sportpark Willem II, Tilburg

Television:

See WYC Television Viewing Guide thread

Live Text Updates:

FIFA Live Scorecard

LiveScore.com

Voyageurs real-time chat

(login under your forum name using the top box and top "Login Now" button; do not use the two lower boxes, do not enter your forum password anywhere)

</center>

I don't think I'll be here at kickoff to set up separate pre- and in-match threads and I don't know if the other mods will be, so let's use this thread for both pre- and in-match discussion (with kickoff only 3 hours away, there won't be much more pre-match discussion, anyway).

For in-match discussion I encourage the use of the real-time chat linked above. It would be great if someone could copy the whole chat when it's over and post it in this thread (just highlight the whole chat text, then copy and paste).

Starting line ups according to Fifa live scorecard:

Canada

1-WAGENAAR Josh (gk)

2-RAMALHO Graham

3-LEDGERWOOD Nik ©

4-HAINAULT Andrew

5-PEETOOM Brad

7-PETERS Jaime

8-ROSENLUND Tyler

9-GYAKI Ryan

10-JOHNSON Will

11-DE JONG Marcel

14-EDGAR David

Syria

1-AL HAFEZ Adnan (gk)

4-KHALAF Abdul

5-AL AITONI Hamzeh

6-AL MOSTAFA Hasan

7-KAILOUNI Meaataz

8-ALHOUSAIN Abd

13-JENYAT Aatef

14-AL HAJ Majed ©

15-NAHLOUS Samer

17-DAKKA Abd

20-SHAHROUR Salah

My minor quibble below aside, I will start by saying thanks to Sportsnet for airing this match.

But I am assuming that Sportsnet will continue their theory that the Internet doesn't exist, and will show this match with a 5-10 minute delay in order to start their broadcast on the half-hour. (Do they think that a sports fan who would tune in at 2:30 wouldn't tune in at 2:25?? Especially when you have multiple Sportsnet channels?)

What this means is that since some people on this board won't be watching this match live, they will presumably be following the score live on the net. And thus, if something happens in the match, we'll know it here before we see it on TV. Which means that those of us watching on the telly can't partake in the forums during the match, unless they want the action spoiled.

And that's annoying.

Guest Jeffery S.

For those of us not watching, they score m. 2, so its 1-0.

Fifa stats at m. 25 give us more corners and possession of over 60%, meaning we are taking it to them I suppose. They have already subbed someone off, injury reasons?

C'mon boys, we can get this back.

Guest Jeffery S.

We score, Peters in m. 31, that is the way to do it. Now we are sure to have the edge as they seem to have been defending our possession since their goal.

Marcel, Ryan, it is your turn.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Marcel De Jong assisted on Peters goal according to the FIFA match tracker.

Geez, am I looking at the wrong tracker, where is the assist indicated?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Geez, am I looking at the wrong tracker, where is the assist indicated?

At the bottom of the screen, the last few minutes of events scroll by. It doesn't mention the assist anymore, it just has a bunch of fouls committed and suffered.

You also need to be in the Live Score screen. If you are in the Teams or Statistics screen, you don't see the scrolling events.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

At the bottom of the screen, the last few minutes of events scroll by. It doesn't mention the assist anymore, it just has a bunch of fouls committed and suffered.

You also need to be in the Live Score screen. If you are in the Teams or Statistics screen, you don't see the scrolling events.

Thanks, hadn't even noticed it. Looks like Syria has taken back a bit of play late in the half, pushing forward again as at the start?

Half-time on Sportsnet. Horrible, horrible misplay on the first goal. Fine backpass back to Wagenaar who flubs it up in the air. Wagenaar and the Syria striker both go up for the ball in the air, but Wagenaar plays it like a backpass or something and doesn't use his hands. He tries to head it, doesn't come close, and the ball is headed slowly over the line.

Canada gets back in to it, and dominates for long stretches of play. Probably about 7 corners. Peters scores with a header (!) off a free kick near the corner. If Peters scores with a header, then you can be assured of suspect defending.

First half wasn't bad, but not the least good. As sstackho said, Wagenaar backpass was horrible and after the backpass decided to try to head the ball instead of punching it... weird. Nerves? Canada settled down a bit... forgot about the mistake... started playing some real soccer. Peters with a nice header... which is surprising because when I always use to play him, he was always the smallest on the field... but anyways, very nice. Hopefully Canada will pop in one or two in the second and have a comfortable win. I won't settle for a draw.

When Syria scored that first goal, I just thought to myself...'oh great... another poor tournament from Canada... another dissapointment...' kinda the same feeling I had when Canada played Guatemala in the first game of WCQ. Anywho... LETS GO BOYS

Canada is unfortunate not to be leading in this match.We seem to be the better side.We cannot afford to make errors that lead to goals especially against this Syria team who could very well be the weakest team in our group.That goal against could loom large in a tournament situation where goal differential and goals against are huge factors in advancing.

Yeah, Josh tried to play it one time when there was no need and with his off foot. Beyond ugly that one.

Syria really shifting right or left to cover Peters or de Jong. Someone's going to come up the gut using one of those fellows as bait and hammer one through.

Lots of big Syrians in the middle anticipating a Canadian attack to the flank I suspect. Working so far, it's going to break down though.

Outstanding shot and outstanding save off of an Edgar righ footer. Beautiful strike and beautiful save.

I still don't understand why Canada stopped to play after the 1-1 and only began again a quarter from time...

Before the goal, the trio Peters - Gyaki - Ledgerwood was great

Syrians always wasted time... excepted Al Haj, a wonderful player

The most difficult player to judge ? Johnson : each time he touched the ball, he was fouled (among the fouls : to dangerous plays - one giving the free kick for the goal - and a bad tackle from behind)

Disappointing result

Oh my. Let one get away from us there. Poor Josh. Geezus, don't know if it was nerves or what but he scares the begeezus out of me. Tough night to play though. Wet and greasy.

Best part about the WYC has got to be seeing so many players who earn their keep by seeing the field so well and playing the game between their ears. Not to belittle the quality of their play, but creative, intelligent, confident play is allways a pleasure to watch.

You've got to feel Gyaki, Edgar and Ledgerwood have a sure future in this game at a professional(ie Europe) level. Damn. Even Peters once he learns to quite pricking about may do all right.

Pity Mitchell had to save a couple of bodys for Wednesday or we might have got all the points. Ah well, that's the nature of a tourny.

Im not sure what the coach was thinking, taking out two positive players like dejong and peters and putting on two guys who didnt even seem to be involved with the games, (outside of taking corners) Peters could be injured but taking off both of ur flanks on a system based around playing to the wing is rediculous.

BTW, i thought Gyaki and Edgar were the best players on the field other then the syrian striker. Also Will Johnson looked good from time to time,

After watching todays game, i definatly would prefer european players then the ncaa, i was not impressed by the ncaa players today. Lets just hope we can pull one from the italians

Archived