June 12 WYC - Canada v Syria - PRE- & IN-match [R]

DJT

Well we only have one striker out there for most of the match, and he drew the foul which led to the goal (& scored two games ago against the US if you count friendlies).

I was pleased with the quality of our play, a bit dissapointed in getting a draw since we were the better team & the one more hungry to win, and since we gift-wrapped them their goal. But the future I was dreaming about, where Canada can go into international tourneys and play quality soccer and score seems to have arrived - at the U20 at least.

It appears Edgar was played in the role Schiavoni was used in for the qualifiers (where Edgar was injured), so we did go with a 4-5-1.

A bit worried about the ball control abilities in our central defense without Edgar there, and on our depth on the right wing once Peters gets taken off. But overall very impressed with the majority of the players. Ramalho was the pleasant surprise of the match for me, between Edgar & Ledgerwood for man of the match for Canada.

thought ledgerwood was really good. And Haineault was good as well. Besides scoring the goal, peters didn't look like a superstar to me. Thought he gave away the ball several times. But he did start some nice plays. As someone else said, Wagenaar scares the poo out of me. will we see begovic?

Archived