May 18 - U20 Friendly - USA vs. Canada [R]

DJT

They also had a small tv feature last night about the team and it's view on the upcomming cup. This was on Soccer Central (Midnight east) with a few short interviews with Hainault, Gyaki, Johnson as well as Mitchell. It should be airing again at 16:30 (east) today. The boys also won a game 1-0 against the US on Monday but i believe this was not their full US roster. Closed door game.

From the CSA:

Men's Youth (U-20) Team

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Canadian Youth Fall 2-1 To USA

Will Johnson

Ottawa, Ontario – Despite scoring first, Canada’s Men’s Youth (U20) Team were defeated 2-1 by the United States on Wednesday, May 18 in a cold and rainy Blaine, Minnesota.

Canada took the lead in the 29th minute when Tyler Rosenlund sent a through from the top of the box to Will Johnson on the right side who was able to send a shot high into the net past the American goalkeeper Andrew Kartunen.

The Americans equalized in the 35th minute after Chad Barrett sent a pass towards Eddie Gavin who beat Canadian defender Brad Peetoom for a soft shot to the right side of the net before Canadian goalkeeper Joshua Wagenaar can intercept. The ball then rolled over the goal line before tracking defenders are able to make the stop.

Canada fell behind in the 41st minute when Freddy Adu scored on a penalty kick awarded to the Americans following contact on Lee Nguyen.

“I’m a little disappointed with the two American goals as they came too easily,” said head coach Dale Mitchell. “I have no problem with the final result; they were slightly ahead of us.”

“We need to be a little smarter in our defensive third as we can’t afford to give away chances.”

Both teams are heading to the FIFA World Youth Championship Netherlands 2005 which takes place from June 10 to July 2 in six cites across Holland.

Canada will compete in Group E against Columbia, Italy, and Syria. Canada will play its opening match on June 12th against Syria before playing Columbia on the 15th. Canada’s final match of the group stage is against Italy on June 18th.

Friday, May 18, 2005 – International friendly

Blaine, Minnesota

Canada 1(1)

USA 2(2)

Goals – Canada: Johnson (29); USA: Gavin (35), Adu (41, PK)

Canada: 1-WAGENAAR, Joshua; 2-STEWART, Vince (5-KASSAYE, Simon, 46); 4-HAINAULT, Andrew; 6-SCHIAVONI, Carlo (3-BRITNER, Mathew, 46); 7-PETERS, Jaime; 8-ROSENLUND, Tyler; 9-GYAKI, Ryan; 10-JOHNSON, Will; 13-LALLI (14-WILSON, Cam, 66), Franco; 15-PEETOOM, Brad; 16-RAMALHO, Graham; Head Coach-Dale Mitchell

this seems to be their strategy

they have played more games as a squad than Canada, they started

their preparation early has been constant and now they are going into the world cup with a healthy squad

they did the same this with their men's national team while countries like France decided to play games in Japan and end up with players like Zidane picking up injuries.

may be our u-17 squad would have been in better shape if we would have adopted the same strategy as the US, right now it looks like Hart is running out of option and too late to make any corrections.

How about the team adopt a different way of getting players for Tournaments. Like having other plays come in to tryout while the original players are still active. Invite more players so you see different talents, and why isn't Richard Asante on the roster?

quote:Originally posted by Soccer21

How about the team adopt a different way of getting players for Tournaments. Like having other plays come in to tryout while the original players are still active. Invite more players so you see different talents, and why isn't Richard Asante on the roster?

I tried to track the different players who were brought in for tryouts in the year or so before the U20 World Cup. I counted 38 players brought in for camps/exhibition games/qualifying.

I have probably missed a couple here and there, and they did try to convince players like Jonathan DeGuzman to come into the program.

How many more would you have liked the coaching staff to look at?

Honestly we need to have a "V" U-20 team so we would play at least 320 players a year so we can evaluate everyone and not miss anyone.....

And I don't understand why Frank Yallop hasn't call any of the Voyageurs to a MNT camp this year. I think every male who play soccer in this country should be called up by the coach just to be sure they've seen everyone who's eligible.....

quote:Originally posted by Soccer21

How about the team adopt a different way of getting players for Tournaments. Like having other plays come in to tryout while the original players are still active.

It is far too close to the World Youth Championships to be messing around with the roster now.

Mitchell has likely decided his core group of guys, while 2 or 3 are still fighting for jobs. At this stage, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Two of our U20 players, Rosenlund and Stewart played today in the PCSL. Rosenlund played his usual central midfield position, whereas Stewart played at right back.

Both played well, helping their team to a 4-0 victory against a US team. Rosenlund made lots of passes, a few of which set teammates up for scoring chances. But he appeared reluctant to pass with his left foot, going out of his way to hold onto the ball long enough so he could use his right foot. he made perhaps 50 passes in teh 90 minutes, and only 3 were with his left foot, and those three were simple passes, not requiring much accuarcy or power. He also had two chances to cross balls with his left foot, near the end line, and both times he pulled it back, so he could cross with his right foot.

His ball possession was very good, he dribbled quite well, but failed to beat last defenders when trying to get free to shoot on goal.

Archived