Hart Selects Team for CONCACAF Qualifying

NE

Hart Selects Team for CONCACAF Qualifying

Stephen Hart

Ottawa, Ontario – Men’s Junior (U-17) Team Head Coach Stephen Hart has chosen 18-players for CONCACAF Junior (U17) Final Round Group B Qualifying from May 17-21, 2005 in Culiacan, Mexico.

Canada will compete against Haiti, Honduras, and host Mexico for CONCACAF’s second spot in the 2005 FIFA U-17 World Championship in Peru from September 15 – October 2, 2005. The United States earned a spot in the Championship in CONCACAF Final Round Group A Qualifying, held in April.

Costa Rica, who finished second in Group A, will meet the runner-up from Group B, in a home-and-home playoff series for the third CONCACAF berth to the FIFA event.

“Every player knows what is required of them; this is the first step because we have to enter this competition with a belief in each other,” said Hart. “Unfortunately, we have had a few set backs in recent weeks and will likely face a few more as we near our first game against Honduras but I am of the opinion that these will only serve to make us stronger and more focused for the task.”

Marinko Maras (Vancouver, BC) who plays for Kaiserslautern FC in Germany will be available for qualifying. Maras was unavailable due to injury for Hart’s camp and friendlies in April.

The team will assemble in Ft Lauderdale, Florida on Wednesday, May 12 for a brief training camp before traveling to Mexico on Sunday, May 15, 2005.

Games

Date Time Stadium Game

May 17, 2005 18:00 Estadio Arturo Gonzalez Canada vs. Honduras

May 19, 2005 18:00 Estadio Arturo Gonzalez Canada vs. Haiti

May 21, 2005 20:30 Estadio Arturo Gonzalez Canada vs. Mexico

Roster

# Pos. Complete Name Club/Training Centre DOB Hometown Prov

1 GK MONSALVE, David Ontario 21-Dec-88 Brampton ON

2 D KEREK, Robert SC Freiburg (Germany) 15-Jan-88 Freiburg GER

3 D MARAS, Marinko Kaiserslautern FC (Germany) 18-Mar-89 Vancouver BC

4 M OLIVEIRA, Kyle Ontario 4-Mar-88 Oakville ON

5 D ATTAKORA, Nana Ontario 27-Mar-89 Orangeville ON

6 M BOURGAULT, Jonathan Beaulieu Quebec 27-Sep-88 Ile Bizard QC

7 F MAYARD, (Pierre) Rudolph Quebec 21-Feb-88 Montreal QC

8 M AYRE, Keegan BC 4-Jul-88 Coquitlam BC

9 F LAMMIE, Selvin (Shane) Ontario 3-Aug-88 Toronto ON

10 F JARAMILLO, Josue Ontario 28-Nov-88 Toronto ON

11 F GRAY, AJ Ontario 12-Apr-88 Brampton ON

12 M PEREIRA, Michael Ontario 9-Mar-89 London ON

13 M MARRELLO, Alex BC 28-Sep-88 Burnaby BC

14 F HABER, Marcus BC 11-Jan-89 Vancouver BC

15 D RIDLEY, Curtis Alberta 9-Feb-88 Edmonton AB

16 D AWUAKYE, Joseph Ontario 21-Jan-88 Scarborough ON

17 D LANG, Adam BC 9-Feb-88 Chilliwack BC

22 GK BORELLA, Lorenzo Quebec 12-Mar-88 Brossard QC

Staff

FLEMING, Jim Head of Delegation

HART, Stephen Head Coach - U17 Men

FLEMING, Sean CSA Staff Coach

LAARABI, Djamel Equipment Manager/GK Coach

PELLEGRINO, Anthony Athletic Therapist

SWEETAPPLE, Mark Tutor

COCHRANE, Earl National Teams Administrator

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Geez these cryptic comments are annoy me. Anyone know what these setbacks are they are referring to? Getting an injured Kaislerslautern player back can't be one of them.

This has always been my pet CSA peeve as I have posted many times before.

I speculate the setbacks are injuries as Observer alluded to on another thread. It seems, however, that the majority of players that were influential in the Italian, US, El Salvador and Guatamalan series' are there.

The major exceptions that I can see are Nunez (reportedly hurt), Napoleao (long term injury - hopes to be back for WC), Kalthoff (appeared to be No.1, did not allow a goal in Italy - injured?), and Lensky (never part of the program).

I will have to check my lists that I use to track these players. But those lists are at home and I am at work.

By the way, I guess someone was watching the 89s vs. Scotland a month ago!

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

This has always been my pet CSA peeve as I have posted many times before.

I speculate the setbacks are injuries as Observer alluded to on another thread. It seems, however, that the majority of players that were influential in the Italian, US, El Salvador and Guatamalan series' are there.

The major exceptions that I can see are Nunez (reportedly hurt), Napoleao (long term injury - hopes to be back for WC), Kalthoff (appeared to be No.1, did not allow a goal in Italy - injured?), and Lensky (never part of the program).

I will have to check my lists that I use to track these players. But those lists are at home and I am at work.

By the way, I guess someone was watching the 89s vs. Scotland a month ago!

Kalthoff is indeed injured.

Here's a CP article on the U-17's. It appears that the setbacks mentioned in the CSA article are 3 major injuries.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Injuries hurt Canada's U-17s

By NEIL DAVIDSON

TORONTO (CP) - A tough tournament has become even tougher for Canadian under-17 soccer coach Stephen Hart.

On Monday, Hart announced his 18-man squad for the second of two CONCACAF qualifying events for the world under-17 tournament this September in Peru. Just qualifying for the finals is a daunting task. Canada has made it only four of 10 times, the last being 1995 in Ecuador.

But Hart's team's task against Honduras, Haiti and host Mexico later this month has not been helped by recent injuries.

Midfield playmaker Christian Nunez of Montreal is unavailable because of an ankle injury. And goalies Zach Kalthoff of Calgary and David Monsalve of Brampton, Ont., who between them carried most of the load ahead of the tournament, are also hurting. Kalthoff is stuck at home with a knee injury while Monsalve is named to the squad in the hope that a broken bone in his wrist heals in time for the May 17-21 competition.

Hart, however, is not making excuses.

"That's part of the game," he said Monday from Halifax. "You just have to look at things positively and deal with it."

The good news is that Vancouver defender Marinko Maras (Kaiserlautern FC, Germany) is healthy again.

The team that wins the round-robin tournament advances to Peru - the U.S. claimed the first regional qualifier. The runner-up in Canada's group will play Costa Rica, which finished second to the U.S. last month, in a home-away playoff to determine CONCACAF's third entry in the 16-country tournament.

Canada is coming off 2-0 and 2-1 exhibition wins over Guatemala and a 2-0 loss to the U.S.

Aside from injuries, Hart says the schedule doesn't help much either,

"When these tournaments fall in April, May etc., our boys are not playing on a consistent basis. They're not playing competitively on a consistent basis.

"So what you find in Guatemala we played a very good, sharp game both mentally and physically. And then in the second game, our standard dropped a little bit. Which is expected, because they are just not that sharp as they should be.

"So hopefully the two games in Guatemala served us well and we can put three strong games together back-to-back."

Hart is taking his team to Florida on Wednesday for a short camp, to help deal with the heat.

Should Monsalve not be ready, Lorenzo Borella of Brossard, Que., will start in goal.

The Canadian team will be captained by defender-midfielder Kyle Oliveira of Oakville, Ont. Hart will be looking for goals from Shane Lammie of Toronto, Rudolph Mayard of Montreal and A.J. Gray of Brampton, Ont.

Canada opens May 17 against Honduras, before taking on Haiti on May 19 and Mexico on May 21.

Notes: Canada's record at the under-17 finals is 0-12 in four trips and the Canadians have been outscored 42-3. ... Canada hosted the event in 1987. ... Canadians who played in the under-17 finals include Paul Peschisolido, Paul Stalteri, Jim Brennan, Carl Fletcher and Mauro Biello. ... Other teams already qualified for the Peru finals are Australia, Brazil, China, North Korea, Qatar and Uruguay.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Canada/2005/05/09/1032425-cp.html

Ridley's World Cup mission

By SCOTT ZERR -- Edmonton Sun

Curtis Ridley's agenda is stocked with soccer.

First, there's his role at St. Francis Xavier high school where he plays with the academy team in the Edmonton Metro League.

Then there's duties with the local Juventus under-18 squad and the Victoria club in the Alberta Major circuit.

But even with kicking around all those responsibilities, Ridley has a primary concern with the Canadian national under-17 program.

"We want to make some history and qualify for the World Cup. It would be so big if we make it. Making the World Cup at 17 would be unbelievable," said Ridley, who departs today for Fort Lauderdale, Florida, before the Canucks head into next week's CONCACAF qualifying tournament in Mexico.

This is the third time that Sean Fleming, who heads up the CSA national training centre in Edmonton, will travel with the U-17 squad.

In 1994, the team made it through the first round of the championship, but in 2003 on home soil, the Canadians failed to get out of their group on goal-difference.

It won't be an easy test facing Haiti, Honduras and Mexico with the winner joining the U.S. in a direct pass to the FIFA worlds in Peru come September.

Playing into Canada's favour will be the experience garnered from a series of friendlies and training camps leading up to the last qualifying stage.

"Players like Curtis have shown great progress because they've been able to play in 10 internationals in the last year and a bit," said Fleming.

"Those are absolutely huge. I've got a good feeling about how this team has come together. They have that going for them as well as the intangible Canadian quality of wanting to fight together as a team."

While the flat-out skills may still lag behind other nations, few teams, figured Ridley, will have the same will to win as the Canadians. "Most of all, we have heart," said Ridley.

FREE KICKS: Local products Simon Kassaye and Asmir Begovic will lead Team Canada into its final tune-ups for the FIFA World Youth Championship beginning June 12 in Holland.

Canada faces Honduras in New Orleans on Friday and then the Americans in Blaine, Minnesota, next Wednesday ... Tickets for the Canada-Germany women's game Sept. 4 at Commonwealth are now on sale through Ticketmaster.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Interesting to hear that since I drew a different conclusion. I saw the second game of that series versus Scotland and I can only notice one player from that squad that made it. Mind you those players were all 89's. There is only two 89's on this selection. Including the one selected.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

All three 89's chosen to this sqad (Attakora, Pereira, Haber) played with the U-16's against Scotland. I haven't seen the 88's on this team, but I would guess that Haber will be taller then most of them despite being a year younger.

Stephen Hart was the coach for the U-16 games against Scotland.

In these types of tournaments I believe that it's better to go with the older players, unless there are exceptional players available who are younger.

Archived