The latest on Jonathan DeGuzman

AJ

For those of you curious of how Jonathan is doing in holland, i do have the lastest for you. Jonathan is currently captain of the under 19 team. Remember he's only 17 years of age. He is the leagues top goal scorer with 18 goals and is tied for second as the leagues best player. He would be a great fit for the dutch under 20 squad.

Thats the latest.

a couple questions:

1)Did JDG jr ever play soccer in canada and if so where?

2)this kid speaks english, right??

In that picture damn he looks happy to be in holland:(

oh, and what are the chances he gets a call to the dutch u-20 side for the WYC? this is impossible because he isn't eligble, right? because if he is eligible i think it's bye-bye to another (or, the other) great canadian soccer player

He's from the GTA (Scarborough, I think).

He left for Europe somewhere around 12-14 yrs old. I have a 'It's Called Futbol' article on the brothers somewhere, I'm just too lazy to dig it out...

Once again, let's keep proper perspective on this.

First, there is no question that de Guzman is a prospect with great potential.

Second, it is unlikely that making a U-20 side whether Dutch or Canadian is his ultimate goal.

Third, he will have a professional career that will not be significantly affected whether he chooses to play for the Dutch or Canadian MNT. I don't think it affected his brother's professional career much.

Fourth, if a goal of his is to play in the World Cup final tournament, his chances of actually playing are not that different for either country. Keep in mind that Holland has only qualified three times since 1980 and Canada once. Then add to that the competition for places in the Dutch midfield and forward positions, it would only be speculative thinking to suggest that de Guzman will at some point be rated ahead of offensive young Dutch players like, Sneijder, Van der Vaart, Robben, Babel, Von Persie, Johns, Castelen, and Yildirim. All these players are 22 or younger. To show just how difficult it is to play for Holland, Von Persie has yet to play for Holland while already having scored 9 times for Arsenal. All the others have at least one cap.

Fifth, on the news that de Guzman will be added to the first team roster next year, it an achievement worthy of congratulations. The next challenge for him will be to see if he can get some playing time with the first team. I will point out that Canada's de Jong was on PSV Eindhoven's roster last year at 17 and Edgar is playing regularly now with Newcastle United's reserve team at 17.

At the same time, I don't want anyone to think that I am diminishing his acheivements so far. It is just clear to me that it is still a long road yet with lots of work to be done. As well, I do believe that with the number of excellent young players we have coming through the ranks in Canada, the young de Guzman will have an equal chance to play (as opposed to sitting on the bench) in a World Cup Final tournament with Canada as with Holland. That is in addition to getting to play with his older brother, the thought of which must seem kind of cool.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

...it would only be speculative thinking to suggest that de Guzman will at some point be rated ahead of offensive young Dutch players like, Sneijder, Van der Vaart, Robben, Babel, Von Persie, Johns, Castelen, and Yildirim.

Speculative? How about totally insane? (I think there were a few Norwegians who compared Espen Knutsen to Wayne Gretzky too.) Were he close even to the end of that list, at least one of us would have seen him play by now.

Good point about he competition for spots on Holland, CO. Unlike Mr. Hargreaves who would have taken a look at England's midfield and thought "not a lot of quality there and nary a d-mid in the lot" JdG the younger will be faced with a daunting choice if he wishes to pursue an international career. But he does have time, if he does not feel compelled to play youth football. It will be three years before Canada is playing meaningful matches again, and by then he should have a better idea of where he is stacking up. Gotta think (hope) playing internationally with his brother has some appeal.

yes, and to add to CO's smart observations, the Dutch owe us NOT to pilfer young DeGuzman, if only because our soldiers liberated great swaths of their country from the Nazis 60 years ago.

Hey, let's annex the Netherlands. Then we'd have a good domestic league and a real shot at making some progress in international football. And, this way we can benefit from NAFTA and the EU.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

yes, and to add to CO's smart observations, the Dutch owe us NOT to pilfer young DeGuzman, if only because our soldiers liberated great swaths of their country from the Nazis 60 years ago.

Hey, let's annex the Netherlands. Then we'd have a good domestic league and a real shot at making some progress in international football. And, this way we can benefit from NAFTA and the EU.

Let him play for who HE wants to play for....it's his decision.

Dear canadian friends,

I found this site by accident and after reading the Jonathan De Guzman topics, I can't resist the need to respond, because of all the bull**** I'm reading.

Especially to some people like that beaver character and others unsulting my country without knowing what their talking about. Especially comments that have to do with the war don't really seem appropriate'. The canadian vets who are in The Netherlands currently, thanking the friendly dutch about the way they where received and supported both 60 years ago and now, 60 years later, would become very angry with you I think.

I can garantee to you all Feyenoord nor the dutch FA will put any pressure on him to talk him into playing for us. That's really not their style. If he would make that decision, it would always be his own. So if Feyenoord doesn't react anymore to the canadian FA, it means it's his decision for now.

So in the future, If you want to know anything about him, better send me an email (I don't know if I'll be here regularly) instead of talking bull****. (Not about what's going on in his mind of course, because I just as big an expert for that as yourselves ;) )

I think in the end he'll choose to play for Canada, because of his brother. And I could understand that a lot better then moroccans who lived here their whole life playing for the country their parents where born in. Let them start a whore club together with that traitor Hargreaves of yours.

I do think playing for The Netherlands would be a better decision for him however. Because he really can't do that much for Canada. They'll become better, but still won't have chances to become world champions. He'd be so much better then his teammates it would even be kind of frustrating for him.

And don't forget you have 1 dutch player playing for you, Marcel de Jong. So it would be quite honest to give 1 back to us, don't you think? ;) And Canada could be proud if we would because world champions:D

To complete your info, he's not a dutch citizen yet. He could become after living here for 5 years after turning 18. I think at the moment he'll turn 18 next september, he'll live here exactly 5 years. I don't think he can play for the first team untill that moment because he's non-EU. For playing for feyenoord it wouldn't make that big of a difference. Non-eu players have to earn an above average minimum income here. But as a feyenoord player he'd make that anyway. Being european would have big advantages when he would move abroad at some point. And of course it would be the only way to win international prizes in the future.

quote:Originally posted by OranjeZalOverwinnen

Dear canadian friends,

I found this site by accident and after reading the Jonathan De Guzman topics, I can't resist the need to respond, because of all the bull**** I'm reading.

Especially to some people like that beaver character and others unsulting my country without knowing what their talking about. Especially comments that have to do with the war don't really seem appropriate'. The canadian vets who are in The Netherlands currently, thanking the friendly dutch about the way they where received and supported both 60 years ago and now, 60 years later, would become very angry with you I think.

I can garantee to you all Feyenoord nor the dutch FA will put any pressure on him to talk him into playing for us. That's really not their style. If he would make that decision, it would always be his own. So if Feyenoord doesn't react anymore to the canadian FA, it means it's his decision for now.

So in the future, If you want to know anything about him, better send me an email (I don't know if I'll be here regularly) instead of talking bull****. (Not about what's going on in his mind of course, because I just as big an expert for that as yourselves ;) )

I think in the end he'll choose to play for Canada, because of his brother. And I could understand that a lot better then moroccans who lived here their whole life playing for the country their parents where born in. Let them start a whore club together with that traitor Hargreaves of yours.

I do think playing for The Netherlands would be a better decision for him however. Because he really can't do that much for Canada. They'll become better, but still won't have chances to become world champions. He'd be so much better then his teammates it would even be kind of frustrating for him.

And don't forget you have 1 dutch player playing for you, Marcel de Jong. So it would be quite honest to give 1 back to us, don't you think? ;) And Canada could be proud if we would because world champions:D

To complete your info, he's not a dutch citizen yet. He could become after living here for 5 years after turning 18. I think at the moment he'll turn 18 next september, he'll live here exactly 5 years. I don't think he can play for the first team untill that moment because he's non-EU. For playing for feyenoord it wouldn't make that big of a difference. Non-eu players have to earn an above average minimum income here. But as a feyenoord player he'd make that anyway. Being european would have big advantages when he would move abroad at some point. And of course it would be the only way to win international prizes in the future.

Somebody's been drinking again... ;)

If anybody wants to whine about who owes Canada for our efforts in WWII, you might want to turn your attention to the UK. If it wasn't for us, they'd be eating wurst, not pies on Saturday afternoons. A lot more Cdn men were lost in the merchant marine or on bombing missions during the 4 years we fed and supplied Britain by sea and kept the Nazi regime busy rebuilding their infrastructure on the continenet than were lost in the push to liberate Holland. And yet we are treated like 3rd class citizens in the UK, begging for hearings to be employed.

quote:Originally posted by OranjeZalOverwinnen

Dear canadian friends,

Well said mate. The Beaver talks out of his rear end half the

time so don't take it too personal. Jonathan DeGuzman has the right

to play for any country he wants, be it Holland or Canada. If he

wants to play for a country that will go to World Cups then his best

selection would be Holland, cause we have no change until 2020 at

the earliest. Canada will always be liked in Holland for the effort

the country made in liberating the Dutch country. Some mindless Canadians don't want us to get into any military conflicts, like the ongoing Iraq, when we don't get involved we look stupid and weak, but

thats Canada at the moment im afraid. You're right in saying that

DE Guzman wouldn't help us that much, cause our current manager does

not know how to select a competitive side, so if he can help Holland more, all the power to him. Hargraves the same thing , he saw a Canadian soccer program all screwed up by the manager and the CSA,

so he wanted something better for himself, and who can blame him?

The beave maybe, but his opinions like others who don't see the entire

story don't mean much. The best of luck to young DeGuzman whoever he

plays for.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

If anybody wants to whine about who owes Canada for our efforts in WWII, you might want to turn your attention to the UK. If it wasn't for us, they'd be eating wurst, not pies on Saturday afternoons. A lot more Cdn men were lost in the merchant marine or on bombing missions during the 4 years we fed and supplied Britain by sea and kept the Nazi regime busy rebuilding their infrastructure on the continenet than were lost in the push to liberate Holland. And yet we are treated like 3rd class citizens in the UK, begging for hearings to be employed.

where's Canada when the Iraq war was (is) going on? You can't have it both ways, yes the Canadian troops were brilliant in the second world

war, and took a lot of the heavy fighting, but today Canada doesn't want to get involed in anything, that involves risk. Our politicians

have to take the blame for that, but if Canada wants respect in the world they had better get involved in world situations, and not sit

by while other act in OUR interests.

quote:Originally posted by FC Beast

Well said mate. The Beaver talks out of his rear end half the

time so don't take it too personal.

<SNIP>

The beave maybe, but his opinions like others who don't see the entire

story don't mean much. The best of luck to young DeGuzman whoever he

plays for.

Oh, the ironing is delicious.

(bonus points if you can spot the reference)

And Beast if you want to get into a foreign policy discussion, I would love to indulge you, but this really isn't the right forum.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Oh, the ironing is delicious.

(bonus points if you can spot the reference)

And Beast if you want to get into a foreign policy discussion, I would love to indulge you, but this really isn't the right forum.

True , enough with the politics, but to set the record straight,

i did not bring up the subject. Canada has a foreign policy?

True , enough with the politics, but to set the record straight,

i did not bring up the subject.

You are absolutely correct, but it is you that is taking a couple tongue in cheek posts and trying to start a discussion that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Just cause a post is there, doesn't mean you have to respond to it.

And yes, I can see the irony of this post.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

You are absolutely correct, but it is you that is taking a couple tongue in cheek posts and trying to start a discussion that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Just cause a post is there, doesn't mean you have to respond to it.

And yes, I can see the irony of this post.

But i was responding to the guy from Holland and tried to explain that on this site having a opinion that doesn't agree with the majority, is condemned with reason.

Hargraves the same thing , he saw a Canadian soccer program all screwed up by the manager</u> and the CSA,

so he wanted something better for himself, and who can blame him?

This is my faverave part. Comedy Gold!

Archived