Let Sportsnet know how you feel!

How do they expect to get rattings if they don't let anybody know the games are on. The Ireland Canada game was added at the last minute. Only the people on this board new the game was on. If they promote some of these games, I'm sure the audience numbers would increase. Especially a game like Porugal. A top team, with lots of Portuguese immigrants living in Canada. Sportnet could do a much better job than they are currently doing.

Hang on there.

I'm Portuguese by birth (Ok, from the islands and we were independent at one point, but I digress) and I don't think it's going to be a walk in the park for Portugal.

Portugal's main focus is on Slovakia and while Scolari yaps about the players playing this like a regular international, that's just so they don't embarass themselves like Liechtenstein. If that were to happen, the pressure on the team (never mind Scolari)would be too great that they might screw up against Slovakia.

Canada has every opportunity to get a good result here.

quote:Originally posted by FC Beast

I stand by what i said. Canadian television is not going to cover a

match of Canada's where they have no chance of pulling off a result,

would i like to see it , sure, but knowning what the outcome will be

would spoil it some what. Im more of a fan of Canadian soccer then you mate, i just won't say the program is great, when it is not.

My question for you is, if you dare to answer it.....What has Canadian soccer done to get national coverage on TV? I await your

answer.

Its not about results you dimwit, its about ratings. A match between Canada and Portugal would command a decent audience. If you can't see that then you truely are dumber than I originally thought.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

Was listening to a program the other day (sorry can't remember which one) but it was with a broadcasting exec and he said if only people knew the power of the audience. They truly do hold the balance of power. They have the power to subject programming to their will. I leave youse guys with that.

Good point. A bunch of irate curling fans hit the CBC and Tim Hortons with a storm of letters over the lack of main-network coverage of the Brier/Tournament of Hearts. CBC added more coverage.

The message: You don't want to piss off a bunch of curlers.

On a business POV I think it's normal that Sportsnet wont show Canada-Portugal live. The Elite 8 is their priority and I understand that, they're showing the entire tourney since 2002 (I think) and I expect them to show those important games.

I don,t understand why people are pointing out that they are showing Eng-NI, it's in the morning, so their no comparaison possible. It's not like Sportsnet never show soccer on saturday morning, they always do.

I think that Sportsnet has done a decent job over the years broadcasting Canada soccer: the good (NI, Ireland, Spain in the WYC, USA U-20 in Charleston, Germany, GC), the bad( WCQ on tape delay last fall, Guatemala, WYC in UAE preliminary games) but I'm never gonna complain for this game which I think has no meaning for us appart for preparing the squad for 2008 WCQ.

As a canadian soccer fan I think we are spoiled with the coverage of our team, not always perfect but we are seing more of our team then basketball fan or volleyball fan in Canada.

Don't get me wrong I would like to see this game but I,m ok with their decision too.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

On a business POV I think it's normal that Sportsnet wont show Canada-Portugal live. The Elite 8 is their priority and I understand that, they're showing the entire tourney since 2002 (I think) and I expect them to show those important games.

I don,t understand why people are pointing out that they are showing Eng-NI, it's in the morning, so their no comparaison possible. It's not like Sportsnet never show soccer on saturday morning, they always do.

I think that Sportsnet has done a decent job over the years broadcasting Canada soccer: the good (NI, Ireland, Spain in the WYC, USA U-20 in Charleston, Germany, GC), the bad( WCQ on tape delay last fall, Guatemala, WYC in UAE preliminary games) but I'm never gonna complain for this game which I think has no meaning for us appart for preparing the squad for 2008 WCQ.

As a canadian soccer fan I think we are spoiled with the coverage of our team, not always perfect but we are seing more of our team then basketball fan or volleyball fan in Canada.

Don't get me wrong I would like to see this game but I,m ok with their decision too.

Well, the point isn't that we are spoiled because other sports get less coverage--that's ludicrous. The issue is that all these sports should get stronger coverage. I feel for our national teams in ALL sports. But let's be honest, aside from softball, is there any sport in this country that boasts larger total registration numbers than soccer?

Anyhow, I think many of us would suffer a tape-delayed presentation of the game if it came to that. Sure, US college basketball trumps our National Men's team, but at least show the game. We don't get to play teams of this calibre very often.

I said spoiled because our soccer team is very bad(the program with the U-20 looks bright for the future but our last 2 WCQ early exit aren,t very encouraging), our basketbal team is quite good, and our volley team is average.

I agree that we should have more exposure for all of our National teams in all sports but I think that our soccer team has a pretty good coverage(not perfect but pretty decent). The only national team that has better coverage is hockey, not bad for a team that is rank 90th in the FIFA ranking and stuggle in the CONCACAF.

I also agree that most of us would like a tape delay, and I don,t understand why they cannot have it, but unlike some people here I don't think that Sportsnet isn't trying, the NI game showed me that they care about us. And people here are acting like Sportnet doesn't care about canadian soccer which I think is false.

Well I'm still not watching Sportsnet for anything other than Canadian soccer. I was still going to Rogers video when they pulled off the N. Ireland friendly at the last minute, but that might change.

WCQ on tape delay is unacceptable. Sending Gerry to Florida for a story on an all-domestic camp, sending him to England for Soccer Central's Canadian abroad feature, but not picking up the feed for high profile friendlies like Wales, Czech Rep and Portugal is absurd. They need to rearrange their priorities if they're pleading poverty on securing the rights for these games.

This game is a no-brainer. Forget the Canadian fans that would watch. The Portuguese ratings would be great too. If they promoted it the ratings would be there. Similiarily had they known more than a few days in advance about NI or Spain U20 (a game my brother didn't even know was on and he's a serious Canadian soccer fan, that's a bad sign) the ratings would have been better.

Sportsnet started out well, but they're struggling lately to do anything more than the bare minimum and since in the last year we've missed a WCQ and a high profile friendly with a very marketable team here, they're not even doing that.

I agree the NCAA tourney is a big deal and a ratings bonanza. But it's on US TV. And at the eights there's only two games that day and I don't think they're on at the same time. If they tape-delayed Portugal/Canada and showed it live on one of the regional channels that would work. They managed to show an NLL game a few days ago in the middle of the tourney I'm told, so they've pre-empted the tourney.

The Brier is interesting because curlers complained en masse and they complained completely irrationally. They phoned newspapers to complain and what was interesting to me, they really went after Scott Paper. Since the Scott tournament of Hearts is their only title sponsorship, Scott was really taken aback by negative publicity and reaction to their brand on something they had zero control over. They didn't decide who got the TV rights (as far as I've heard) and they have no say on what CBC does.

So yeah I'm sure CIBC wouldn't be happy if we all complain about Sportsnet and talk about boycotting, etc, but it's pretty misguided and I don't know if CIBC can really exert any kind of pressure on Sportsnet.

Blasting Sportsnet and boycotting Rogers sounds good to me.

cheers,

matthew

PS. can't wait for the World Cup. They pull any of this crap then and there will be a riot.

Actually, I think messages to the CSA are appropriate in this regard. As I understand it, Sportnet's agreement with the CSA requires only 7 broadcasts per annum and Youth and Women's soccer is included.

And while I have no respect for the way in which sportsnet is handling the property - I think they lack everything they need to develop the property, including cojones - but the real power over the TV contract lies with the CSA. May they can eleict a greater commitment with their next deal.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Actually, I think messages to the CSA are appropriate in this regard. As I understand it, Sportnet's agreement with the CSA requires only 7 broadcasts per annum and Youth and Women's soccer is included.

Yeah I think so too. After all they decide who gets the contract. It's the corporate groups like CIBC I wonder about. They put millions into the program and we complain to them about TV coverage. But I agree we should be more vocal about our displeasure.

Gordon anywhere in Saskatoon to catch this match? I'm going to try some places in Regina tomorrow.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by matthew

Yeah I think so too. After all they decide who gets the contract. It's the corporate groups like CIBC I wonder about. They put millions into the program and we complain to them about TV coverage. But I agree we should be more vocal about our displeasure.

Gordon anywhere in Saskatoon to catch this match? I'm going to try some places in Regina tomorrow.

cheers,

matthew

Well, I'll be in Regina this weekend so if you find a place, post it and I'll catch you there.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Its not about results you dimwit, its about ratings. A match between Canada and Portugal would command a decent audience. If you can't see that then you truely are dumber than I originally thought.

The ratings would go up a small bit, but would not compare to the final four basketball tournament. and yes the results do matter,

who wants to see their national team thumped time and again, if we

can't handle Concacaf opposition, why the hell are we playing

a top ranked European nation? Getting our act together against

the Jamaica's,Trinadad's Mexico's would serve a greater purpose,

it's these countries we have to qualify against not Portugal.

The final four portion of the NCAA tournament is a week after the Canada-Portugal match. Sportsnet's rating for March Madness are only good during the final weekend. The ratings that Sportsnet gets for the first two weekends of the NCAA tournament are kind of pathetic.

OT: Just one more point on the NCAA March Madness tournament. The ratings for this tournament are pretty crappy considering all the hype the sports media in this country give the overall tournament.

So Beast, do tell. If we don't start broadcasting the big name matches, how are Sportsnet and the CSA supposed to convince people to watch the MNT play Jamaica, or Costa Rica, or T&T?

You need a reasons for people to watch. Big matches do this. In turn, it helps to build a regular fan base.

Sorry, but that just isn't possible against lesser competition.

Please tell us your masterplan.

Sorry for the of topic comment...

Matt if do figure out a place make sure you give me notice you know i'll be up for it.

It'd be great you can come too Gordon, a real Sask footie roundup.

If you need anything done in city let me know, would be really great to catch this match

Well, I for one would far,far prefer to see England, if Canada played better, showed improvement and were in with a chance of WCQ, then I am sure Sportsnet would have picked up the match. Let's face it Canada's squad has gone backwards not forwards, thereby negating interest from the media, and let's not forget that ALL media shuns soccer coverage in this soccer wasteland, just listen to Dan Russel on CKNW, here in Vancouver each week night--he's still spouting on about the bloody stupid WWF-on-ice lockout!!! It's time that Canada's press showed some interest in the world's Number One Sport. As for the current Canada team , I feel they don't hold a candle to the likes of Forrest, Bunbury,Miller, Yallop,Hooper,Sweeny,Samuel,Wilson,Mitchell and even Bob Lenarduzzi. Play well,find some success ,and then maybe someone will notice Canada.

It is pretty pathetic, considering that Portugal is better than England, and Canada just beat N. Ireland, so theoretically the Canada game involves two better teams.

Unfortunately it's just another kick to the face of Canadian sports. This happens every day in other sports. Networks choose NFL over CFL, NCAA over CIS, and poker over anything else. Sure the American sports are better, but with a little exposure we'd be able to compete.

Shame on Sportsnet.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

It is pretty pathetic, considering that Portugal is better than England, and Canada just beat N. Ireland, so theoretically the Canada game involves two better teams.

Unfortunately it's just another kick to the face of Canadian sports. This happens every day in other sports. Networks choose NFL over CFL, NCAA over CIS, and poker over anything else. Sure the American sports are better, but with a little exposure we'd be able to compete.

Shame on Sportsnet.

Pretty much EVERY CFL game is broadcast live and the CIS basketball tournament was on TSN, which meant no one got to choose one over the other.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

The point is they spent money to acquire not one but two England matches this week, but did not spend money to acquire Canada's match. This despite the fact that they are supposed to be Canada's national team broadcaster.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Pretty much EVERY CFL game is broadcast live and the CIS basketball tournament was on TSN, which meant no one got to choose one over the other.

That's true, but I was talking more about the hype involved. The NCAA Final Four is everywhere right now, and the NFL usually is too. On a local sports radio show here, the host was grieving because on the highlights programs, they led with The Brier over Brett Favre coming back for another year.

Hey stacks, beaver, You might want to just call up Soccerplus (or is it Soccerwest now?) the sporting goods store and ask the guys there for advice on finding a place to watch in Abbotsford, those guys should know about this game. Also have you tried asking that sports bar above the hockey rink near Rick Hansen secondary? I think it's called Blue Ridge Grill I watched some boxing there before and maybe they have the right dish.

Archived