Let Sportsnet know how you feel!

Rant on!

I know we are all disappointed that the Portugal game isn't being broadcast. That bothers me but I can let it slide. It's only a friendly, though a highly visible one with more than the usual appeal for the Canadian market.

What is truly insulting and a slap in the face are the back to back England broadcasts.

The only soccer to have benefited from Sportnet's rights holdings are the U19 girls. Women's hockey doesn't get near as much of a rub as they do. I don't mind that either, but occasionally I'd like to see the men play.

Why does Sportsnet have the broadcast rights if they are not going to help develop the property (like CFL on TSN).

Sportsnet's calling games off monitors is hardly a way to build atmosphere let alone an audience. For all you conspiracy theorists out there listen to the NI game. Notice that after they go from the patronizing Irish commentary (loss of audio) to Craig and Gerry that the Irish commentary is heard again (later in the game) but they don't revert back to it. Actually I'm glad they didn't, that Irish guy was getting on my nerves.

I know the stock answer will be the Portugal game was not picked up for budgetary reasons but if that is the case why did they get the CSA rights in the first place. Unlike hockey, friendlies are the only games that we play, there aren't yearly world championships where we can get our fill. That leaves three of four games in the Gold Cup and however many for WCQ and even then the final game was not televised.

Does anybody have the original mission statement of the Voyaguers that was on the old website? Wasn't the intent to help promote Canadian soccer and increase visibility. I was on the Sportsnet soccer forum and all posters (I assume Canadian) were talking about was the Portuguese team. Check out the other Canadian soccer forums and you'll see plenty ot trolling or moronic Canada sucks posts.

Boys, we can do better. Isn't it time for a little Voyageur intervention? Write Sportsnet and let them know how you feel.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/features/contactus/index.jsp;jsessionid=IONMDEAFCOGE

feedback@sportsnet.rogers.com

I know Rogers has the technology (and the coin to correct this latest fiasco)

I emailed Sportsnet twice. The first time I politely asked them if they would show the game. After getting the canned response that they "tried" to get the broadcast (a load of crap), I sent them a nastier email asking them not to lie to me and tell me the real reason. They still haven't responded to the second email though.

Sportsnet sucks. I wish TSN would get the rights back for the national team. If TSN couldn't fit a game into their schedule, at least they would show it at 3:30am.

If Sportsnet doesn't show us the Gold Cup and the WYC I will boycott anything Rogers related. Sure I'm one person and they are a giant corporation, but I'll hit them where it hurts the most.

quote:Sure I'm one person and they are a giant corporation, but I'll hit them where it hurts the most.

I worked in TV news for many years and I know two things.

One, every station has to keep a copy of its CRTC license on hand and two letters of complaint go with that license. I don't know how it works now, I've been out of the racket for ten years but I know back then more than a handful of complaint letters could get a show yanked off the air or seriously looked at.

Times and morals change, especially the amount of TV crap we are now subjected to but you do have a voice. Was listening to a program the other day (sorry can't remember which one) but it was with a broadcasting exec and he said if only people knew the power of the audience. They truly do hold the balance of power. They have the power to subject programming to their will. I leave youse guys with that.

As an aside, TSN has built two great properties CFL (rebuilt) and World Junior Hockey. The CMNT and National Rugby teams are just waiting to be exploited. Both are presently reasonably competitive and within a few years will probably become even more so.

If the CBC didn't have the amateur sport agenda they would be perfect properties for them.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

If Sportsnet doesn't show us the Gold Cup and the WYC I will boycott anything Rogers related.

Don't know about the Gold Cup, but they have a little counter-doodly counting down until the WYC, so I would be surprised if they didn't show it. Things are at least looking good on that front.

That's actually a good idea Joe. I know Sportsnet is mandated by the CRTC to cover amateur sports. I even recall their president being on the Fan 590 in Toronto using soccer as an example of how well they cover amateur sport. Maybe we should send some complaint letters to the CRTC stating that Sportsnet doesn't adequately broadcast amateur sport.

That's actually a good idea Joe. I know Sportsnet is mandated by the CRTC to cover amateur sports. I even recall their president being on the Fan 590 in Toronto using soccer as an example of how well they cover amateur sport. Maybe we should send some complaint letters to the CRTC stating that Sportsnet doesn't adequately broadcast amateur sport.

I guess what I was trying to say is that all the soccer teams and players that we would want to see are deemed professional. That's why CBC wouldn't go after them. That includes all CMNT, Impact, Caps, Lynx and even CPSL.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Don't know about the Gold Cup, but they have a little counter-doodly counting down until the WYC, so I would be surprised if they didn't show it. Things are at least looking good on that front.

I'm pretty sure they said they'd have all of Canada's games available at the WYC.

And they've had the GC in 2000, 2002 and 2003 so I'm sure it'll be the same in 2005...

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

I guess what I was trying to say is that all the soccer teams and players that we would want to see are deemed professional. That's why CBC wouldn't go after them. That includes all CMNT, Impact, Caps, Lynx and even CPSL.

Ya, but I think that would cover the Canadian youth teams.

Well Ive sent sportsnet my email, we need to band together and maybe if we all send enough polite requests they will listen to us just like the Northern Ireland broadcast. There is definitely enough of us on this board to make a difference.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

Before we get too off track, the point I am trying to get across is that this game was important enough to broadcast and it is an insult that we get two England games especially after the lone WCQ game we won was not televised.

Come on Joe it's only a friendly,not that important.Could it be possible that sportnet saw no chance of Canada getting any kind

of result out of the match, so they decided not to throw good money

away on a meaningless game? When the national side starts producing

results then we can b***h about the games not being covered, but

since they continue to produce a bad product (like a tv series)

they shouldn't be surprised if they get canned.

quote:Originally posted by FC Beast

Come on Joe it's only a friendly,not that important.Could it be possible that sportnet saw no chance of Canada getting any kind

Thanks for once again proving Mr. Beast that you are not a fan of Canadian soccer. You are just a master baitor.

Notice you've been trolling Xtratime. Surely you don't want to kill your rep just like at BigSoccer eh?

By the way, take a good look at what you do and have a long think about why you do it. It ain't healthy my friend.

Notice you've been trolling Xtratime. Surely you don't want to kill your rep just like at BigSoccer eh?

By the way, take a good look at what you do and have a long think about why you do it. It ain't healthy my friend.

I wonder if that would make good copy for Neil Davidson; Canada being snubbed in its own country for Eng, NI and Azerwhatever. Can anybody think of some logical, compelling remarks to send to him?

Time to take a stand boys. The Voyageurs gots to be a little more proactive. There's more to supporting the team than criticizing the coach and going to a CMNT game every four years. :)

Like I said before not airing the friendly was bad enough but being twice screwed over for England is too much for this kid.

I wonder if that would make good copy for Neil Davidson; Canada being snubbed in its own country for Eng, NI and Azerwhatever. Can anybody think of some logical, compelling remarks to send to him?

Time to take a stand boys. The Voyageurs gots to be a little more proactive. There's more to supporting the team than criticizing the coach and going to a CMNT game every four years. :)

Like I said before not airing the friendly was bad enough but being twice screwed over for England is too much for this kid.

Here's an idea that we could borrow from our curling friends...

Instead of attacking Sportsnet for not televising the match, attack its sponsors. And attack CSA's sponsors as well. Massive Attack suggested boycotting Rogers products. Well, let's write them an email and tell them about it. Furthermore, emails to CIBC and Addidas stating that we are boycotting their products due to the shoddy treatment the Men's National team is receiving might not hurt either.

quote:Originally posted by Metro

Here's an idea that we could borrow from our curling friends...

Instead of attacking Sportsnet for not televising the match, attack its sponsors. And attack CSA's sponsors as well. Massive Attack suggested boycotting Rogers products. Well, let's write them an email and tell them about it. Furthermore, emails to CIBC and Addidas stating that we are boycotting their products due to the shoddy treatment the Men's National team is receiving might not hurt either.

That is the right way to go. Boycott their advertisers and let them know you are doing that. It needs to be organized and we need to get the support of the general public through sympathetic media. Once it becomes a news story it will carry itself. We also need to have an official spokesperson for Voyageurs as the media will want to get some declarations.

It may sound strange to say this, but despite their triple headers on Saturdays, Sportsnet is NOT big on soccer. If it weren't for the lockout, you'd never be seeing this much soccer. If the CSA and its partners weren't sponsoring Soccer Central, I doubt it would be on the air either.

Ratings also play a role here, and from what I heard...the Canada Ireland game didn't fare much better than Poker.

CBC is completely useless especially since the new program aquisitions person was appointed to the job by her "friend".

Soccer on TV has always been a frustrating issue, especially Canadian coverage.

Thanks for once again proving Mr. Beast that you are not a fan of Canadian soccer. You are just a master baitor.

I stand by what i said. Canadian television is not going to cover a

match of Canada's where they have no chance of pulling off a result,

would i like to see it , sure, but knowning what the outcome will be

would spoil it some what. Im more of a fan of Canadian soccer then you mate, i just won't say the program is great, when it is not.

My question for you is, if you dare to answer it.....What has Canadian soccer done to get national coverage on TV? I await your

answer.

Archived